Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94-97 Accord D.S. Lock Actuator - Microswitch Repair/Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 94-97 Accord D.S. Lock Actuator - Microswitch Repair/Reset?

Originally Posted by nocode
redbull that is very helpful, thanks. i would have spent weeks trying to insert that thing into the track!
Tell me about it. I've taken it apart several times even for my nephew (I gave him the car for free) on both doors. Now, it's a no-brainer for me from doing it many times.

On his driver side door, one of the rubber stops eventually disintegrated. No amount of glue was going to fix it. My nephew handed me a piece of rubber lying around; I cut it into a thin strip and then wrapped it around the metal inside the actuator and then glued the rubber in. It actually worked.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Tell me about it. I've taken it apart several times even for my nephew (I gave him the car for free) on both doors. Now, it's a no-brainer for me from doing it many times.

On his driver side door, one of the rubber stops eventually disintegrated. No amount of glue was going to fix it. My nephew handed me a piece of rubber lying around; I cut it into a thin strip and then wrapped it around the metal inside the actuator and then glued the rubber in. It actually worked.
that's awesome. I didn't bother trying to repair it. went the easy route and just replaced the whole thing. Actually not that bad of a job once you take that first step and try it. actually getting the door panel off was the hardest part. scared to death i would damage it and the elec connector to the power windows was a mother to get disconnected.

on the bright side, it gave me a chance to upgrade the tired 16yr old door speakers with some sweet new 100W Pioneers!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@ redbull, I figured it out. The clip was in tact and it was just a bad acctuator. I had the parts already and they work perfectly. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Trial User

first off, thanks for this great thread. I just bought my second honda (95 accord wagon) to use for work and the locks didn't work. Pulled out the passenger actuator just now after reading up and getting the great info from this thread. after examining the actuator it is no the rubber boots or the plastic gear teeth that have failed. The flywheel on top of the bigger gear spins freely when i hit the lock. I quit tinkering for the night but figured id join the forum and post on this. If i need to replace the actuator what is the best to buy. I dont necessarily want to go the cheapest rout unless they are flawless. stealership quoted me at 70 per actuator. ebay says 10 bucks.

thanks again for all the great input on this thread. good job everyone.

link to a good 'ol boy that explains actuator removal detailed and easily. I got hung up on how to remove that antitheft shield because i couldnt see the screw holding it in place.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

redbull-1, you are the man. I had to register just to say thanks for this.

This problem has been annoying me for a few years now. I didn't really care to spend perhaps $100 on a new actuator, and then whatever cost to have it installed. When I found this thread a few weeks ago you gave me hope that I could stop the noise for free.

I finally got around to it today, and sure enough, the rubber bumper for the lock side was snapped in half. I glued it back together and in place, and voila, the noise is gone.

I have to say that I didn't realize quite how difficult it would be to get it out, and especially back in. Thankfully you did give a general overview of what needed to be done. The plastic cover that goes around the extension of the door lock was in the way, so I had to remove the bolt that held that in place. This allowed me to move it out of the way ever so slightly, but just enough to let me get a screwdriver in. Then there was the shield that you mentioned, and that was also difficult to deal with as it barely moves out of the way. For the re-installation I had to slide it as high as it would go and tape it in place with masking tape, and it made things much easier.

After opening the actuator I had to unscrew the mechanism from the housing to have the leverage to glue the rubber stop in place, but that was simple enough.

Thanks for taking the time to give this solution, especially adding the photos with it. I'd probably be dealing with the noise for the rest of the car's lifetime if not for your help.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Redbull and Honda Tech - I don't get a buzzing sound from my driver's door, but when I use the key in the driver's door lock, only the driver's door will lock. Then the locks continue to try to lock themselves at random intervals. Is this an actuator problem, or a control module problem? Oh, the interior driver's door switch will lock/unlock all the doors, but then they randomly continue to try to lock the doors.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My front passenger side actuator just pooped out again so I decided to buy a new one. Lo and behold, after installing it, when I hit up on the switch the lock engages to LOCK, and vice versa. It was so annoying getting the actuator back in and I can't believe I have to open everything up again.