Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92 accord wandering clutch pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 accord wandering clutch pedal feel

whats up Honda-tech! Need a little help with my accord's clutch system. It's a 92 lx sedan, factory 5 speed I bought with a broken timing belt. I swapped in a jdm f20b I bought from a friend of mine with an m2s4 transmission, the engine came with a competition stage 2 clutch and a light weight flywheel, both of which were installed on the motor while it was in the previous car it came out of, by VIP Performance here in portland, and had under 10k miles on it.

The issue I'm having is the pedal doesn't ever seem to have a consistent feel. Some times it will be firm with the "pop" point about a third or so of the way down, but most of the time the pedal feels spongy and doesn't feel like it's fully disengaging the clutch. I don't know for sure how old the master and slave are, they are what came with the car but they have been both replaced at some point, neither are leaking. I have already adjusted the rod on the master cylinder almost perfectly per this video from jacks transmission https://youtu.be/vYJxQyjIhUw although I might be able to get a little more travel from playing with the cruise switch position some more. I have also bled the clutch properly with fresh dot3 fluid, and the fluid is not contaminated.

One thing I have noticed is randomly if I let the car sit idling for a long period of time the pedal will feel firm then start to get spongy if I drive it for a while. Also, all of the bolts for the transmission bellhousing are installed. If anyone could help point me in the right direction that would be great!!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 92 accord wandering clutch pedal feel

specifically how well does it shift ?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
specifically how well does it shift ?
first gear is hit and miss, some times it goes right in, some times I have to convince it, some times it grinds and some times it won't fully engage until I start to let the clutch out then it clicks in all the way. Third gear has always scratched/lightly ground since I've owned the transmission. 5 gear has developed a nice little grind if I don't double clutch. 2nd, 4th, and reverse are buttery smooth unless I'm still rolling forward going into reverse, at which point it will grind but still go into reverse.

Idk how many miles are on this transmission, i pulled it from a super riced beat to **** 4th gen in the junk yard that was missing the cluster, for when I 5 speed swapped my old 92 ex sedan. When it was in my old accord it shifted fine as far as I can remember into every gear but third. I honestly am thinking I may have messed up the inputshaff synchros by running the trans at idle a few times with nothing more than residual oil in the trans, and moving it across a parking lot in firs twice like that, however I don't have any Isb noise. I parted out my old ex sedan after some one at my work hit the quarter panel. Current fluid in the trans is a 50/50 mix of synchromesh and 10w30
Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

having same issue pretty much. when i start driving for long periods i cant get it into 1st or 5th. my pedal though is hella hard, (stage 4 clutch) but i dont get full disengagement either. Changed both master and slave, same thing. only thing i can do now is remove tranny and see if it is the clutch which i am hoping it is. will be starting this today.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:39 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Usually when the pedal feels funny or changes, it is due to the MC itself failing. New fluid, overstroking, higher pressures than before can cause an old MC to fail.

Multi-disc clutches tend to not have high pedal pressure as the higher torque capacity is generated due to multiple discs surface area, not from the diaphragm spring itself like on a single disc with a higher torque capacity.

A throwout bearing that is sticking or jamming, or a misaligned/worn fork, can cause irregular function as well. If the bearing retainer is worn/scored/is not smooth/concentric can cause the throwout bearing and clutch to hang up as well. Always make sure the appropriate parts are properly lubricated.