Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92 accord start up screech noise/whistles while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 accord start up screech noise/whistles while accelerating

As the title says,my 92 automatic accord makes a screeching noise when I go and start it up. I've gotten the starter tested and replaced a few times already.
One broke of because of the screeching. I been told its the flywheel and I also think its that. I don't know how to turn the flywheel while the car is off to check it out. Anyone has a know how to do that? Or does anyone have any other ideas on what it could be?

Also when I start accelerating I think when I'm on 1st going to 2nd on Drive gear,it makes a whistle noise and lags to accelerate

In this clip you can barely hear it. The noise starts then I let go of the gas and it goes away and I step on the gas again and the whistle come back

Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 92 accord start up screech noise/whistles while accelerating

Originally Posted by SlowDA9teg
As the title says,my 92 automatic accord makes a screeching noise when I go and start it up. I've gotten the starter tested and replaced a few times already.
One broke of because of the screeching. I been told its the flywheel and I also think its that.
How did it break?
I don't know how to turn the flywheel while the car is off to check it out. Anyone has a know how to do that? Or does anyone have any other ideas on what it could be?
You cannot turn the engine via the flywheel as it is covered by the bellousing. Remove the spark plugs, cover the spark plug holes with a rag and then turn the engine over by the crank pulley bolt. The F series spins in 'reverse' compared to most other engines. Make sure when you turn the engine that is it is spinning the same way the wheels spin when going forward. Looking at the crank pulley, this is counter-clockwise.
Also when I start accelerating I think when I'm on 1st going to 2nd on Drive gear,it makes a whistle noise and lags to accelerate
Hard to tell from either video, the starter engages the toothed ring on the torque converter which always spins with the engine. Leave the trans in Park or Neutral and rev the engine, if the starter is sticking you should be able to hear it spin and make a racket as you rev.

I did not hear any whistling sounds. What I did hear was upon startup it sounded as though the starter tried to re-engage the ring gear and made the classic grinding sound.

Is your ignition switch sloppy?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
How did it break?

You cannot turn the engine via the flywheel as it is covered by the bellousing. Remove the spark plugs, cover the spark plug holes with a rag and then turn the engine over by the crank pulley bolt. The F series spins in 'reverse' compared to most other engines. Make sure when you turn the engine that is it is spinning the same way the wheels spin when going forward. Looking at the crank pulley, this is counter-clockwise.

Hard to tell from either video, the starter engages the toothed ring on the torque converter which always spins with the engine. Leave the trans in Park or Neutral and rev the engine, if the starter is sticking you should be able to hear it spin and make a racket as you rev.

I did not hear any whistling sounds. What I did hear was upon startup it sounded as though the starter tried to re-engage the ring gear and made the classic grinding sound.

Thanks for the reply.

The starter broke because one bolt wasn't there and only one was supporting the starter .So every time I started the car I guess the flywheel (not sure if thats the part thats doing it)somehow was pushing out the starter and finally it broke a piece where the bolt goes and the now broken starter got pushed out. The bolt closest to the front was holding the broken piece of the starter

Another time both bolts had came out and couldn't figure why I'd didn't want to start until he noticed the starter fell out.both bolts became loose.

I'll try to turn the engine and check that out when I get a chance.

I'll try and take better video tomorrow

Regarding the ignition switch,I'm able to start the car with a cousins 95 civic key by wiggling it a little bit. Other than that ,no other problems. I turn the key and starts with my key.I'm not sure if that helps
Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For some reason, I cant view your video, but when I hear the word screeching, I think belts. Sometimes, when a belt is cracked or too loose you'll notice a screeching on startup. It can also be tied to the gas pedal. Atleast, that's my definition of "screech."
Old 02-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by simbabeat
For some reason, I cant view your video, but when I hear the word screeching, I think belts. Sometimes, when a belt is cracked or too loose you'll notice a screeching on startup. It can also be tied to the gas pedal. Atleast, that's my definition of "screech."
The belts were replaced last year around June. I drive about 40 miles every day so I don't think they're worn out yet. They didn't feel loose when I checked them out today
Old 02-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by simbabeat
Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
How did it break?

I took off the spark plugs and turned the engine counter clockwise. I'm not sure what I was looking for. Nothing seem broken or wrong when I saw thru the bell housing hole

Here's a video I recorded. I had to record by myself and spin it at the same time so might not be the best video