Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92' Accord - Cooling Fan Timer malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92' Accord - Cooling Fan Timer malfunction?

Have a 92' Accord LX. What I've noticed is, ... anytime the radiator fan runs, so the the condenser fan. This is WITHOUT, using the A/C, and at normal engine temp. I've checked the "B" condensor fan temp sensor, and it's open, no continunity, and that fan continues to run with sensor unpluged. Owned vehicle 14 years, and no "micky mouse" wiring has been done. I've looked over the wiring diagrams in my factory Honda manual, and it appears that the only other condensor fan control would be the Cooling Fan Timer. Is this the culprit or am I overlooking something? Appreciate the help. Thanks

Last edited by brimac; 11-21-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that the relay is power side controlled, I am working off of a different wire diagram that I have in front of me but lets try anyways.

If the condensor fan relay and the compressor motor, AC clutch relay are the same, swap them and see if the problem is a stuck relay, which ever other relay matches yours, swap them.

This diagram also shows the ground side of the relay coil going through temp switch "A", that would make the relay power side feed, but anyways, disconnect temp switch "A" and see if it stops.

Next step is to remove the fuses that protect the fan / relay. One for the coil side and one for the switch side of the relay.

Let me know the names of some fuses that you feel are related and I will dig up the real wire diagram, its only slightly buried. and what location, under dash, under hood.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a little research, the cooling fan timer may only effect the radiator fan, not the condensor fan??? So if this is the case the the AC Amplifier may be your issue if we cant find anything else, and I will keep looking.

Both fans work together, yes.

I am back, different Honda but a thermo switch, A or B or whatever it was called, caused both fans to run together. I know that is why you went after your switch "B". Again, try "A".

Last edited by Duane_in_Japan; 11-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Duane,

When I get a bit more time, I'll continue the troubleshooting process. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine has always done that

always wanted to know what to do so post results!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slammed4thgen
mine has always done that

always wanted to know what to do so post results!
I decided to ask an independent Hond tech, what was, and what was not normal fan operation, for a 92' Accord. Revelation is, both fans will always run together. The only time a single fan should operate is when the engine is off , .... and coolant is hot enough to close the thermostatic switch, located in coolant outlet to upper radiator hose. Then the condenser fan will run. I knew both fans were designed to run with the A/C, and I assumed only the radiator fan should operate without A/C. Looks like what I thought was a problem, is just normal operation for this vehicle. Oh well!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Yes, both fans should come on together, because of either A/C cycling on/off or temp switch calls for it.
I think you are right that only the one will run if car is still hot after you turn it off.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM

hey i need help to i just replaced the rad cap thermo upper hose and bypass inlet hose on my 92 accord ex and my hoses feel like they are goin to burst is that normal?? im not sure if my fans are even kickin on how can i test that ???
Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should take some time to build up pressure to make the hoses expand like that, if they expand quickly, then you have problems, there should be pressure in the system though, it is the job of your radiator cap to regulate that pressure.

Hold the idle up for awhile till the fan kicks on, the cooler it is outside the longer this will take so be patient. 2000 RPM should be safe.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92' Accord - Cooling Fan Timer malfunction?

None of my fans are working. i get almost 14v at the t stat switch.
Any one have any ideas what it could be?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you put 12v to the fan motors to be sure they are working?

See if this helps.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/questions-regarding-radiator-fans-2989671/
Old 12-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you lost again for taking the time to break it down in the post from the link you gave. I too am a little tired like the guy you were helping over at that thread when you posted that info. At the moment my eyes won't stop buring from lack of sleep but I'll go back and reread that post in a day or so.

A single wire going to the AC pump has been severed. Could this cause the issue or is that only related to the AC pump.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I first bought my 92 EX the cooling circuit was a total mess.
The fan only came on ( not the A/C one ) when I pulled the key from the ignition.

It was a bitch to get to a correct diagnosis but my auto electrician did manage to get to the problem's source.

There's a cooling control unit close to the driver's sear. On the left side behind the panel you'll find a black box with a PBC inside. You might want to have it checked as it controls the whole of the cooling system.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tonyneedshelp
Thank you lost again for taking the time to break it down in the post from the link you gave. I too am a little tired like the guy you were helping over at that thread when you posted that info. At the moment my eyes won't stop buring from lack of sleep but I'll go back and reread that post in a day or so.

A single wire going to the AC pump has been severed. Could this cause the issue or is that only related to the AC pump.
The wire shouldn't impact the fan operation.

Start simple, put 12v directly to the motors to be sure they are good.

From there we can walk through the rest.....

The timer would impact one fan....you have issues with both
Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys I got it working so far.

I was under the impression that the temp guage should not go up to the top just before the red zone in the guage on the dash. Apparently the fans only kick on at 194F which would put the needle in the guage on the dash just before the red zone. So I was jumping the gun and was able to get it all worked out.

I am glad you guys are here to help out like you have. I have learned so much in the short amount of time I've been here. I almost feel as if I know enough to open a service shop. Not really but just saying you guys are all full of great info and I appreciate it very much.

Thank you,

Tony
Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having also a problem with the fan on my Honda Accord 1992. It doesn't come on and the motor is overheating. When I put a jumpwire at switch A or the relay the fan will come on so I suspect it might be the fan timer unit.

I am trying to locate the unit but I cannot find it. Does anyone knows the location of the unit? Does anyone have a picture or an OEM number?

All help will be welcome.

Thanks,

Theo
Old 08-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"The fan" - if you jump thermo A at the t stat housing where the lower rad hose connects to the engine with the key on/pos II and only one fan runs you have another issue - BOTH should be running.