Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 intake manifold question

Is it possible for water to get into the combustion chamber via the intake manifold from the idle air control or fast idle thermo valves, or from the throttle body? The reason I ask is my son’s 91 drips water from the exhaust at idle and if you pop the throttle it shoots it out. The car has good cold and hot compression and there is no water in the oil or oil in the water. I removed the head and took a look at the head gasket but couldn’t see anything wrong with it. I check both the head and block for warp age with a straight edge and feeler gauge and both appeared ok. I went ahead and replaced the head gasket but it didn’t make any difference. I then tried one of those miracle in a can head and block sealer but again no difference. I then removed the head, once again, but still couldn’t see any signs where the leakage was coming from. I then tried a different head and another new head gasket with no success. I could go on but you properly see why the question!
The car, despite the constant loss of fluid, runs remarkably well which just adds to my frustration!

Any ideas or suggestion?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: 91 intake manifold question

Do you use 100% water in your engine or a mix of coolant and water?

Is there any white, sweet smelling, smoke accompanying this water? If so then it's coolant, if not then it's probably just H20 byproduct.

H2O is a byproduct of gasoline combustion. It can sometimes be seen dripping from the tail pipe. It can condense on the insides of the pipes and muffler. Sometimes it may be visible dripping through the weep hole in the muffler or out the tail pipe. It is even easier to see when the temperatures drop. The H2O produced can bee seen exiting from the tail pipe as a whitish smoke aka steam.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a vid of the water being ejected from my Accord. Please excuse the burning oil smoke. My car had been sitting for a few days when I took this vid.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya, water is a result of the cat doing its job.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks so much for the response, I think! If I understand correctly, what your telling me is that I may not have a problem. Well, if that's the case then I'll just chalk up the whole experience to my learning curve on Hondas. Thank God replacing a head gasket on these cars isn't all that difficult. The hardest part for me was actually trying to reinstall the alternator! I don't know how the pros do it, but for me it was a real pain - both times!

Thanks again
Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cctgene
Thanks so much for the response, I think! If I understand correctly, what your telling me is that I may not have a problem. Well, if that's the case then I'll just chalk up the whole experience to my learning curve on Hondas. Thank God replacing a head gasket on these cars isn't all that difficult. The hardest part for me was actually trying to reinstall the alternator! I don't know how the pros do it, but for me it was a real pain - both times!

Thanks again

That lower alternator rigging is a pain eh! I hear what your saying. I've done it more than a few times. Now whenever I have to work on one, I can do it by feel alone. The key it that you have to make sure that all of the nut & bolt threads are super clean. That way you can do everything by hand. Then secure everything up with a 1/2 - 3/4 turn of a wrench.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 for alternator lower bolts being a PITA
Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cctgene

Thanks again

not at all honda specific. but in there designs i guess the water does get out easier. less rusted out exhaust systems that way.

from wiki:
Since 1981, three-way catalytic converters have been used in vehicle emission control systems in North America and many other countries on roadgoing vehicles. A three-way catalytic converter has three simultaneous tasks:

1. Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
2. Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
3. Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + 2xO2 → xCO2 + 2xH2O