Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 accord SE auto 2.2L Need Help with driver's side Window

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 accord SE auto 2.2L Need Help with driver's side Window

Hello to all thanks for your help with previous posts 1st and foremost. On the drivers door window when I roll it up it catches at the top left spot of the window on the rubber molding. This causes the window to not roll up properly which eventually will cause a leak. Right now it is still rolling up all the way but it is misaligned when it rolls up and you can see the rubber molding caught in the window in the upper left hand corner of the drivers side window. I don’t have this problem on any other window weird hah. I have talked to other owners on the CB7'S and they said it was a common problem but told me no way to fix it they said don't worry about it. Well the problem is the window does not roll up properly and with the rubber molding caught in the window it is eventually going to cause a leak. As a quick fix I have had to push the window a little bit in and to the left as it is rolling up with my finger and that gets it back in line correctly. However I am looking for a way to fix this properly without having to disassemble the whole door panel please advise me. I am sure someone on here has had similar problems with their CB7 90-93 model what did you do to fix this please advise. I should add I did read the Haynes manual and according to what I read there is nothing that is miss aligned or out of whack that would cause this. So even If I were to take off the door panel and try to align everything properly it still would not make a difference as there is not any aligning points in the window track according to what I have found out so far. Thanks for any help you can give me with this problem.
Dave
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 91 accord SE auto 2.2L Need Help with driver's side Window

Replace #16: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno=

Make sure to keep your windows clean too. lol
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello there,
Thanks for that info I tried to enlarge # 16 I could not not sure which rubber seal that is as there are 2 or 3 of them I am curious which one it is inner rubber seal (behind the window when it is up) or the outer seal please advise thanks.
DAve
Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by davidcrevenston
I have talked to other owners on the CB7'S and they said it was a common problem but told me no way to fix it they said don't worry about it.
Those people are idiots. I've repaired dozens of these.

It can be fixed easily with replacement parts and basic tools, and it can be prevented in the future by simply lubricating the run channel on a regular basis with silicone spray.

You'll need a new window run channel, part number 72275-SM4-003. This will cost you around $80 at any Honda dealership. I do not recommend buying this part used from a salvage yard, as the rubber hardens up over time and often develops kinks, which is what causes this problem in the first place.

You must first remove the door panel, then remove the window glass and the regulator assembly to access the run channel. Occasionally the regulator itself can become bent if the window has been run out of its channel. If this is the case, you will also need a new regulator - part number 72251-SM4-003, cost around $85. You can buy this part used from a salvage yard, as long as it isn't bent.

I am looking for a way to fix this properly without having to disassemble the whole door panel please advise me.
You can't repair it without removing the door panel.

It takes a whopping three minutes to remove the door panel, so I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to.

Originally Posted by lazlong
That is not the correct part.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
That is not the correct part.
Sorry, I had assumed weatherstrip as the OP said "rubber molding".
Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
...You'll need a new window run channel, part number 72275-SM4-003.

Occasionally the regulator itself can become bent if the window has been run out of its channel. If this is the case, you will also need a new regulator - part number 72251-SM4-003, cost around $85. You can buy this part used from a salvage yard, as long as it isn't bent.
#'s 15 and 11: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno=

Countrywide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello there,
Thanks for all that info. I did not want to take apart the window regulator and channel but if that is how to fix it then I will have to look into getting the parts 1st then see if I can do that job. I did a similar job on another car I had and I did not like the outcome hence I am trying to avoid taking apart the panel, regulator, and channel. When I did the other job nothing went correct when I removed parts they broke and when I was finished the final outcome was s....t as there was more problems when I was done then when I started. I wish you guys lived near me I would pay you to do it. Well thanks for you help. 1 last ? do you think it would help if I put the silicone spray you mentioned for preventive maintanance on the channel track now? I was thinking it might hlep as the problem is not that bad right now please advise me and as to what brand silicone spray you use thanks.
Dave
Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...do you think it would help if I put the silicone spray you mentioned for preventive maintanance on the channel track now? I was thinking it might hlep as the problem is not that bad right now please advise me and as to what brand silicone spray you use thanks.
Dave
Couldn't hurt. And it's cheap.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the fix: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A93-027.PDF

If it doesn't work, Targa250R's suggested fix is the way to go.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow you guys are the best great fix instructions thanks so much. Where did you get the service manual online can you send me a link or tell me where I could get it thanks. My car is a 91 accord SE 4 door. Last ? is What kind of silicone should I use as there are so many of them?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best grease is SHNITZU ( spelling? ) grease. Any silicone lubricant made for rubber parts will work fine, though.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay thanks guys I found some silicone lubricant at walmart says you can use it on rubber but not plastic made by good wrench that sounds okay to me I will use that one. Thanks again. Anybody know where I can see that service repair manual that somebody posted a link for ealier? Please advise as I will need to see the service manual for how to remove the door panel properly thanks guys please advise me.
Dave
Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Phootbag...congrats on the spelling. WAY BETTER than I would have done.

Below is from another member, back in June.
then take some Shin-Etsu Grease, available from the dealership, it'll run you ~$20 but it'll last you forever (100g tube, you'll use maybe 100mg tops for your entire car). can also pick it up from http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint00.html,
Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello wow I am impressed you guys are the best. I know I should not ask this but I already bought the silicone lubricant I described above do you think it would make that big of a difference if I used what I bought vs. what you guys are recomending if so I guess I can return what I bought please advise thanks.
Dave
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OKAY YOU GUYS WIN......
I went to the STEALERSHIP TODAY wow what a ........... rip off almost $20 for the **** zoo silicone well I bought it so I would have the correct stuff thanks again to all that helped me now I just have to take the door apart and fix the problem.
DAve
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stupid stealership. Expecting customers to pay for service. What a rip-off.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What service is SOME BPA TELLING ME he will charge me a minimum of 150 to take off my DOOR PANEL NEED I SAY MORE.
BPAS
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any idea what kind of overhead is required to run a large facility like a dealership?

And, what is "BPA"?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:43 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by phootbag
Do you have any idea what kind of overhead is required to run a large facility like a dealership?
I'm well aware of the overhead required to run a service facility. Dealerships in particular have higher than average overhead costs because they don't have the choice to skip unprofitable tooling, equipment, and image requirements from the manufacturers.

That still doesn't justify $150 to R & R a door panel. Yeesh. That's way too strong on both rate and time.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag

And, what is "BPA"?
IS This the same guy asking me THIS TYPE OF ? that calls the dealership STEALERSHIP WOW.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once you taken a door panel off, it becomes easy, like a few minutes. For the older gen Accords, I can take it off with a Phillips screwdriver, and maybe a flat-head screwdriver. I don't even use a pry tool for the panel most of the time, as I can just pull it off by hand.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IS This the same guy asking me THIS TYPE OF ? that calls the dealership STEALERSHIP WOW.
Yes, it is. I realize I should have clearly stated my intention of sarcasm with that. If I offended you, I will gladly refund the money you spent on advice here.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went to dealer bought some Shin Etsu silicone grease its the best. That fixed my window problem wow. For now at least I am sure later in the future I might need to tighten/align those window regulator bolts that you saw the link/previous post earlier but for now the window goes up fine now with no problems thanks to the grease. Thanks to the person(s) that suggested that to me you are the best.