Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 Accord leaking gas tank..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Accord leaking gas tank..

New to this site so apologies if this is a repeated thread..
But I bought this car back in January. Fell in love with it the first time I saw it and had to have it. I knew from the get go that itd new some TLC and i was alright with it. New tires, new battery, plugs, injectors, and other routine maintenance things later, I noticed i was smelling gas while driving. So I dropped the tank, figuring id redo the seals as a precautionary measure, to hunt down the leak. I ended up finding a line with a tiny hole, replaced it. Went to go put the tank back up and noticed it was actually leaking out of the rear side of the tank. There's tiny little pinholes (which is because of the rust formed around it) right above the seam. So my question is has anyone ever tried those patch kits that auto parts stores sell and had any success with them? I do plan on replacing the tank entirely, along with all of the lines, just need some time to save up some money. Any advice would be great. I am beyond frustrated with the amount of things that have gone wrong while owning this car but I keep reminding myself of why i bought it in the first place. First car was a 93 Teggy. Not the same car, but Honda's and Teggys hold a special spot in my heart lol. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post..

Old 04-04-2019, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: 91 Accord leaking gas tank..

I used a patch kit once when I punched a hole in the bottom of my Jeep Cherokee gas tank. It worked well enough. But it was a clean piece of metal. Not sure how this would work on yours.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you remember which product you used? I plan on sanding down the effected areas today after work to see if its even feasible. Just trying to make it hold together until payday next week
Old 04-05-2019, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry, it's been a long time. I just picked up something at the local parts store. Probably epoxy based.

I will say that my leak was on the bottom where the weight of a full tank would exert the most pressure. It was OK until someone hit it a second time. Then I just replaced the tank. When I patched it, I drained the tank and made sure I got a good amount of the epoxy pushed to the inside of the tank.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:45 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

When I see that much rust on a vehicle I just either cut and weld or replace.
That tank is too much of a safety concernt to reinstall. Get something from Rockauto, Amazon, etc. That tank is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the feedback. Trust me I do not like having such a safety hazard on my car, and I already have a new gas tank on the way (should be here by Friday), also have all new gas lines coming as well. I just dont have any other way of getting to and from work so I'm hoping to try and patch it until everything comes in and then spend the weekend replacing everything. Luckily the new tank comes with new seals/lock ring. Ironically my local parts store doesn't have the lock ring tool(just my luck..) Anyone ever come up with their own way of removing/installing them?? Thanks again for the responses guys!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Marky, just out of personal experience with some of my customer's cars, DO NOT use your car until you get the new gas tank in it. With that amount of rust, not only are you putting yourself and your car at risk, (fire hazardwise) but you will also be doing damage to your fuel system. You want to replace your fuel filter after you replace the tank and the fuel line that you are waiting for.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DRAGON JOEY
Marky, just out of personal experience with some of my customer's cars, DO NOT use your car until you get the new gas tank in it. With that amount of rust, not only are you putting yourself and your car at risk, (fire hazardwise) but you will also be doing damage to your fuel system. You want to replace your fuel filter after you replace the tank and the fuel line that you are waiting for.
Yea I meant to put that in my last reply as well. New fuel filter would be added. My goal is to have basically an entirely brand new fuel system. Trust me, I love this car, if i didnt i wouldnt have sunk as much into it as I have already lol. I'm hoping I dont need to drive it, but like i said i dont have many options as far as transportation goes so I'm kinda stuck. And I definitely cant miss work.