Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Chances of warped head?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chances of warped head?

Alright guys I've got a '95 Accord 2.2 coupe. Motor is stock withthe exception of a Spectre air filter that was on it when I got it. Shortly after getting it, the water pump went and the temperature gauge was right under 3/4 of the way up before I shut the car off but with the key still on so the fans still ran and opened the hood until it was safe to put more coolant in it to get home, which was about 5-10 miles. Replaced the pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, and a heater hose below the dizzy. All in all, it has moved the temperature gauge 5-6 times including that first time. As soon as it moved even slightly abnormal the above steps were taken. I have diagnosed it since and it blew the head gasket. What do you guys think the odds of me having a warped head are? I have the new gasket and bolts, just need to be able to do the repair in one or two days as it is my only way to work. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: for incorrect terms, and to say that the thermostat was also replaced at the same time as the pump.

Last edited by Jimmydean771; 08-09-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Chances of warped head?

Blowing the head gasket = warped head. In order to fix this issue you would need to have the head either resurfaced or heated in an oven and straightened back out. You can't just replace the gasket and expect it to run fine again.

Did you do a compression test to verify if the head gasket was actually damaged ?

Also the temperature gauge is correct term. The thermostat is actually a separate component of the cooling system.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Blowing the head gasket = warped head. In order to fix this issue you would need to have the head either resurfaced or heated in an oven and straightened back out. You can't just replace the gasket and expect it to run fine again.

Did you do a compression test to verify if the head gasket was actually damaged ?

Also the temperature gauge is correct term. The thermostat is actually a separate component of the cooling system.
No I haven't. I've got the creamer-color in my oil, it's hard to start, it smokes a little white on start-up, it has less power, and it's losing antifreeze but not leaking anywhere externally.

And yea I know, it was late last night when I wrote it and thermostat was the first thing that I thought of lol.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a guy on ebay, whom I have used, nwcyllinderheads. He sells rebuilt heads for ~$245. Which is much cheaper and faster, than i could get one rebuild at the local machine shops. Use teh rebuilt head...use new bolts...take your time, youll only have to do teh job once. My current 97 ex had a blown head gasket/warped head...all in all, took me about $500 in parts, to get it right. including the head...new head gasket set, timing belt water pump etc.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tim73
Theres a guy on ebay, whom I have used, nwcyllinderheads. He sells rebuilt heads for ~$245. Which is much cheaper and faster, than i could get one rebuild at the local machine shops. Use teh rebuilt head...use new bolts...take your time, youll only have to do teh job once. My current 97 ex had a blown head gasket/warped head...all in all, took me about $500 in parts, to get it right. including the head...new head gasket set, timing belt water pump etc.
I thought about getting a new head, but my grandpa (mechanic of 30-40 plus years) said he put two new heads on a high mileage motor with new head bolts ect. but didnt replace bearings in the bottom end and a week later it was smoking and knocking. Blew the bearings in the bottom out.

I'm taking the motor and tranny out once I get into the service and get a station for a K24 swap so I don't wanna drop a whole lotta money on this motor, I just need to get it to last until I get a ship date lol.