Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

90 accord overheating problem(already searched)

Old 04-02-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (vtecgsr98)

If you got white smoke that is a blown head gasket.

Do a cyclender leak down test with each cyclender at TDC to ensure closed valves. If you have loose then you have issues. Looks like your going to rip the head off atleast.

Knowing its a head gasket, remove head and have it sent to a machine shop to have it checked. And then go from there.

With the head off you might as well do any internal mods at that time. Saves from having to rip is all down again

Good luck
Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sice the car was overheated many times you most likely toasted the head gasket....It is time to do what your mechnic suggested and pull the head....

It may run fine when cold but you noticed white smoke in the exhaust so my money is still on the headgasket or cracked head/block....

Metal expands when it is hot and that is when the crack maybe opening up enough to let coolant into the exhaust and exhaust into the coolant causing it to bubble out of the overflow tank.

If you keep running the car and overhating it, it will only be a matter of time before the head or block does crack...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (accord-pro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord-pro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo yeu............you know how to fix your car..??? what did you do? change a flat tire once???or did you replace wiper inserts ?? all i ever read from you is ,i took car to dealer for this or for that ...dealer this, dealer that

As for my knowledge ..I got more knowledge on Hondas on my Pinky nail than you will ever get the rest of your life ''

And by the way ,,,did you read what the fix was ... A BAD T-STAT ...i think i mentioned that once or twice ..

gee what happen to ,,,I THING there is a blown head gasket or a cracked head.?
that was such a crack of **** comment for a tech to make without doing any diagnostic work to verify it .. what would have happened if it was your car , and you told the DEALER TECH to go ahead and pull the head off ....think about that for a few seconds before you answer ...ooooooooops ,, they would have installed a new head gasket, new t-stat and charged you for a head job,,and all it needed was a t-stat ..WAKE UP man stop idolizing dealer techs..there are good and bad techs all over ,,including dealers ... and the way that tech came across is not the way a good tech would have ...

If you do not know what you are talking about, just read and learn .</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahha you're funny......I can actually AFFORD to let someone else work on my car and not have to deal with the hassle....I have worked on all of my cars including this one....I just prefer to let the more experienced people deal with it....

Now since you opened your mouth you might as well put your foot into it....

It appears that his mechanic was right after all...........

Old 04-02-2006, 09:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecgsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">flow without the thermostat is good. Im just trying to figure out why I still have coolant going into the overflow and alot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. The coolant is going into the overflow even with the thermostat removed and the car not overheating. The guage doesnt even move off of cold since it is circulating good now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well ..smoke out of the tail pipe changes things ..
either i did not read that there was white smoke coming out of the tail pipe before or you never did mention it ....
if i did not read it, than i apologize for not giving you the complete information..

On the other hand ,,if you did not mention it ,,than i would say that when someone asks for help , It would help all of us who are trying to help to have the COMPLETE details,,it makes it a hell of a lot easier to diagnose.........
Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the complete details were given to you a couple posts ago when I found out what was going on. Unless i can hang my head out the window and watch any smoke coming out of my exhaust while im driving then i guess i really wouldnt of known. It seems like instead of coming on here and trying to help your just being a ***, so dont post please if you dont have anything helpful to say...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (YeuEmMaiMai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ahha you're funny......I can actually AFFORD to let someone else work on my car and not have to deal with the hassle....I have worked on all of my cars including this one....I just prefer to let the more experienced people deal with it....

Now since you opened your mouth you might as well put your foot into it....

It appears that his mechanic was right after all...........

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yo yeu ,,, If you read my previous posts ,,my beef was with the way the tech handled the situation ,,,the I THINK PART OF IT,,, LIKE I SAID A GOOD TECH DOES NOT SAY I THINK,, he diagnoses and then he knows FOR SURE what is wrong with the car ........
And like i wrote previousely ,,, had i read ( if he wrote it ) or had i known that there was white smoke coming out of the tail pipe ,,it would have been a different issue ,,,,,,,Still even tho white smoke is an indication of a blown head gasket A GOOD TECH would do a leakage test to comfirm it ,,,,,and not just say i think to the customer

and about opening my mouth ,,it helps to diagnose properly when you have all the informations related to the problem ,,,like i said ,, from what i read ,,it all pointed to a bad t-stat .. either i missed it or he never said one thing about the white smoke out of the tail pipe previousely
Old 04-02-2006, 09:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecgsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the complete details were given to you a couple posts ago when I found out what was going on. Unless i can hang my head out the window and watch any smoke coming out of my exhaust while im driving then i guess i really wouldnt of known. It seems like instead of coming on here and trying to help your just being a ***, so dont post please if you dont have anything helpful to say...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do not recall at the beginning you saying anything about smoke out of the tail pipe ..it would help if you gave out all the infos MORON...
You piece of **** ..i am trying to help you to save some money and make sure the tech diagnose your problem properly and you call me an *** ????
what kind of an ******* a re you .. F,,K you and the car you drive ,,
UNGREATFUL PIECE OF **** ...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im saying that because half of the responses on my post are you arguing about **** that doesnt even relate to my problem or topic. If you have a problem with another member them PM him and take it out there but dont post stupid respones that have noithing to do with my car or its problem please
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecgsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im saying that because half of the responses on my post are you arguing about **** that doesnt even relate to my problem or topic. If you have a problem with another member them PM him and take it out there but dont post stupid respones that have noithing to do with my car or its problem please</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe if you had stated white smoke out the exhaust before you would have gotten the short version and not left it open for these children to bicker at eachother.

Most posted what was posted due to you left that fact out in the begining. But still many had posted head and/or headgasket. The lack of coolent flow and fan not working just added to more posting of things to check.

So best to post full at the start instead of bits and parts here and there to keep this flowing with non needed crap.

Forum Moderator should lock this thread to stop the bickering before it gets worse.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I read the thread and came to the proper conclusion (check the first page)

He stated that

he repaired all of the stuff that was wrong and still had the problem. I therefore mentioned that it was one of the following

Clogged rad (he checked that)
T-stat (replaced twice)

or

Blown head/cracked head/block (something i suspected when he said his stuff was bubbling out the overflow tank) after everything else was fixed.

When replying to people in here you have to take somethings for granted (like the fact that he already talked to his mechanic and discussed what was done)

The reason why the overheating problems seemed to dissapear when he took the t-stat out has to do with the leak not being large enough to overcome the systems capacity to keep the car cool

Sorry for coming off like an *** but you really did not give me any credit..........
Old 04-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right, now he says it's smoking. ?????? Make up your mind!
Old 04-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (BLKFLSH)

sorry guys the car never smoked when it was idling so i never noticed it and never followed anyone while they were driving it either. Im trying to fix things piece by piece as I notice things or see things are wrong. I bought the car off a girl that said " it was overheating" for $200 bucks, so im tryng to fix things as I see there wrong. Im going from a turbo GSR to working on a accord so please bear with me as I find things that need fixed since im trying to fix things myself(what I can) and learn at the same time with everyone that helped me so far and all the posts.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Well smoking "AS" you are driving is a major concern, any kind of smoke. Smoking at an idle would while say, warming up, would not be as much depending on the weather.

I wouldn't just go swapping parts, that's not smart with todays technology. A few things to do are Compression check on all cylinders, emmissions test (this can give you a lot of information on what the car is actually running on), etc...

Find out what you are burning, which cylinder it is burning it on, and then decide how to deal with the problem.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (gsdreams)

yea the car goes in tomorrow for inspection and emissions so i was waiting to see what things looked like after the emissions test was done. The only time the car smoked was when i started it up the first time for like 5 minutes cause it had sat parked for about 2 months before i got it, then it smoked on the way home this morning so im guessing me driving its making the gasket leak more and starting to smoke more. After the emissions are done tomorrow i guess we'll see what up...