Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   89 accord no electrical power to anything (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/89-accord-no-electrical-power-anything-2934084/)

osiris22 05-11-2011 06:34 AM

89 accord no electrical power to anything

I bought an 89 accord and at first everything seemed great except for later that night the headlight jot jammed and I left the sunroof cracked and it rained the next day. The next day I went out to start the car. No start, no dings, no lights, no radio, nothing at all, so I'm thinking dead battery, I replace the battery and still nothing, check every fuse including all of the main fuses and they were all fine. Still nothing, so I then saw that the positive cable wasn't going on the battery all the way. I checked the battery cables from battery posts to their end points, they were both tight and secure all the way to where they end. I replaced the positive battery cable, positive that that is what was wrong I sat in the car and confidently put my key in the ignition and what to my surprise still nothing. What else could cause the car to have no electrical power at all. I am new here and I know this isn't the right forum. I couldn't find the 89 axxord forum. I really need help.

76 camaro car 05-11-2011 06:43 AM

Re: 89 accord no electrical power to anything

Check the main fuse under the hood in the fuse block. Also fusable links. Check battery cables also.

osiris22 05-11-2011 07:02 AM

I don't know to much about cars so if it requires a lot of work that will need a mechanic that's cool. If its simple though I would rather save the money. There is a black cable coming from a screw under the fuse box that goes to nothing, it almost looks cut, I can't seem to find anywhere that it came from.. Does that cable connect to anything

SQ is the SQUAD 05-11-2011 08:41 AM

www.3geez.com is a good resource for 86-89 accord stuff. make sure the grun connection from the battery is connected to a good sport on the cars body.

trying hooking it up to another car via jumper cables, see if you get anything there.

did u replace that battery with a new one? make sure u new battery is not dead.

osiris22 05-11-2011 10:02 AM

Ya I replaced the battery with a new one, and the ground cable is that the black terminal. That's what I thought. Do you have any other ideas should I try to replace the black cable. Or the main fuse looks fine but should I try to replace it anyway. I don't want to waste anymore money

poorman212 05-11-2011 04:21 PM

Did you "un jam" the headlight? If not pull the fuse to it or it will kill the battery.

Do the headlights or hazard turn on?

Do you have a test light or volt meter?

osiris22 05-11-2011 04:54 PM

I did un jam the headlight it hasn't retracted yet I figured as soon as I have power it will retract itself. No lights, no hazzards and I don't have a volt reader or anything

76 camaro car 05-11-2011 05:10 PM

See if there are any fusable links (probly one on the starter) and make sure they are not burned. They can look normal but if you feel them you can usually tell if they are burnt. Start at the positive cable and just start following the wires Check your ground cable and be sure it is grounded well. Since you have no lights or anything my guess would be its between the battery and the starter or the battery ground.

SQ is the SQUAD 05-11-2011 06:08 PM

i know it sounds silly but did u take the plastic covers off the terminals on the new battery. like i siad before, hook it up to another car via jumper cables and if you get power your battery is the problem. if you dont get any power, then your connections/fuse is the problem.

osiris22 05-11-2011 06:15 PM

I replaced the positive cable just swapped out the old and in with the new. The instructions said something about having to splice the wire. Where and to what so I splice the cable to?

poorman212 05-11-2011 06:57 PM

the positive wire "splits" to the underhood fuse box and the starter.

Ok, let me ask the question another way.......do the brake lights work if you push the pedal?

osiris22 05-11-2011 07:34 PM

The old battery cable has a red link at the clamp with a yellow cap, as does the new one. On the other end there is a metal plate (for lack of a better word) with a hole in it that was fasened with a bolt. Nothing else. Both of the cables look exactly the same. There was never anything attached to the small wire with the yellow cap before I removed the positive cable

SQ is the SQUAD 05-12-2011 09:08 AM

if i am thinking what you have, the large portion od the wire with the flat plate and hole should fo to the starter. it is held on with a bolt to the starter

https://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...u3yYpHHUr5KPKe

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...rd+starter.jpg

the smaller cable with the yellow cap should be splice into a wire coming from your under hood fuse box. it should be tied into the main relay. if this wire is not hooked up, your car would have no power.

see red line

https://i211.photobucket.com/albums/...integra_ls.jpg

SQ is the SQUAD 05-12-2011 09:10 AM

note, thos are random pictures, not of 86-89 accords, but it will give u an idea of that to look for. the pic with the started you can see the nut and bolt on top by the guys left hand. the plate on the end of the positive cable should be connected to that. the smaller cable shold be extended and connected to the under hood fuse box by a phillips screw

osiris22 05-12-2011 03:55 PM

Thank you everybody you all have been a great help. SQ the only wire coming out of the fusebox that isn't connected to anything is black. Is that the wire that I need to plug into the red.

osiris22 05-12-2011 04:05 PM

Also the only black wire that comes from the fusebox, comes out of the bottom and from what I can tell is held in by a screw located inside the box on the opposite end (towards the front) than the main fuses and 3 relays (towards the firewall).

SQ is the SQUAD 05-12-2011 05:03 PM

can u take a pic? there def needs to be a wire from the fuse box to the battery, so if you have on hanging from the box going to nothing then more than likely that's the one that should go to the battery

zacherycanup08 05-12-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by osiris22 (Post 45246684)
I bought an 89 accord and at first everything seemed great except for later that night the headlight jot jammed and I left the sunroof cracked and it rained the next day. The next day I went out to start the car. No start, no dings, no lights, no radio, nothing at all, so I'm thinking dead battery, I replace the battery and still nothing, check every fuse including all of the main fuses and they were all fine. Still nothing, so I then saw that the positive cable wasn't going on the battery all the way. I checked the battery cables from battery posts to their end points, they were both tight and secure all the way to where they end. I replaced the positive battery cable, positive that that is what was wrong I sat in the car and confidently put my key in the ignition and what to my surprise still nothing. What else could cause the car to have no electrical power at all. I am new here and I know this isn't the right forum. I couldn't find the 89 axxord forum. I really need help.

more than likely the fuse that is in the fusebox under the hood right beside the battery cable hook ups

zacherycanup08 05-12-2011 05:07 PM

more than likely the fuse that is in the fusebox under the hood right beside the battery cable hook ups

osiris22 05-12-2011 05:11 PM

I'm at school now but when I get home I can try to plug it in. The problem is, that I don't wanna mess anything up electrically you know

poorman212 05-12-2011 05:42 PM

As my sig notes, I have plenty of these for ref. So if you can provide pics of that you are talking aabout I can walk outside an verify........LX, DX or LXi?

poorman212 05-12-2011 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See if this helps explain my other post, where the Pos cable should "split".....and I think it helps with the "black" cable from the underhood fuse block. This pic is from my 88 LXi...now I got to go put the battery back in...hope this helps

EDIT: now my kid is going to wonder why the radio, clock, ect in the car has been reset.....so again I really hope this helps.

osiris22 05-12-2011 06:25 PM

I can take some pics tonight ill post them it maybe kind of hard to see ill have to use a flashlight, if anyone stays on till I post them that would be greatly appriciated

SQ is the SQUAD 05-12-2011 07:31 PM

i think that last pic just confirmes the wire comming of the bottom of the fuse box goes to the positive battery terminal.

osiris22 05-12-2011 07:39 PM

Poorman your picture looks a lot like my car except for the battery cable is different