Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

6th Gen 3.0L - misfire help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th Gen 3.0L - misfire help!

Hey Y'all,

I have a 2000 Accord EX with the 3.0L V-TEC engine. It suddenly started running really rough while driving, and got a blinking SEL light. I also noticed a strong exhaust/catalytic "sulplur" smell. Based on this I thought it might be the EGR valve, so I changed it. Didn't fix it. Oh, and when I stopped to get it I had them check the codes, and it was showing a bunch of misfire codes for pretty much every cylinder. I had them clear it, then I turned it on and reved the engine until i got the blinking light again. I had them check the codes once again, and it said that there was a "general" misfire condition (1399 I think I recall) and then it said 3 and 6 were misfiring.

Another couple of data points that I'm not sure are related or not:
1) I had to stop short shortly before this problem started. The stop wasn't that hard - it didn't skid the tires or anything, and actually stopped really quickly I was only going about 35MPH.
2) About a month ago I had the left muffler break away from the rear "Y" pipe. I patched that up, but I did notice there was a decent amount of rust in general under there on the exhaust pipes, especially around the joints. I did check them and they all seem to not be broken right now I did notice the outer cover of the flex pipe would spin around, though I didn't think that would be related to this.

So, would multiple plugs and/or coils go bad at the same time? Is the smell just because of the misfire, or could this actually cause the misfires? What should I do next? I'm usually good at this stuff but this is the first Honda I've owned so I don't know their intricacies and quirks I'm scared to death to drive it at all until I get this figured out, but I'm all alone and there's no one to drive me back and forth for parts. I'm going to have to drive it to work and back tomorrow, but that's only 6 miles each way, so I'm hoping I don't really screw it up or fry my catalytic converter.

So, I need help, really, really bad.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 6th Gen 3.0L - misfire help!

first clean out the egr ports, there are how-to's in the FAQ's sticky and probably on youtube for your particular engine
Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 6th Gen 3.0L - misfire help!

Weak spark from worn plugs or coil packs will cause a misfire.
Valves too tight will cause a loss of compression which will cause a misfire.
And clogged EGR passage will cause the engine to run excessively lean, which will cause a lean misfire.

If your car has over 100Kmiles and you have no records, the EGR port from upper to lower intake is probably gummed up. Plenum gaskets are reusable, just unbolt the upper and flip it over to check for gummed up EGR port.
:eek: it looks like tegger.com is down.... come'on Wayback machine....
Big money, big money, no whammies...

https://web.archive.org/web/20120801...rd/A99-085.pdf

WooT!

Save that file for 3.0 cleaning.

With the intake off, pull the coil packs and check for corrosion. If you have no records of when the plugs were changed, pull those and chuck em as well. Check the gap and look for erosion on the electrodes as well. That will give you an idea how long ago they were changed.
With the coil packs off, pull off the valve/cam covers and check the valves for correct adjustment. Usually the exhaust valves are what are tight/no clearance. Exhaust gases erode the valve and valve seat. With little to no clearance when the valves heat up they will no longer properly seat and a loss of compression will happen.

Eric the car guy does have a decent video on the J series V6 EGR cleaning.