Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

23t vs 25t caliper bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 23t vs 25t caliper bracket

Ok, I've ordered all the parts for the 11.1" brake swap for my '94 Accord LX. Three times now, I've ordered loaded calipers from Autozone. All three times, they have come with 25t brackets. I've been ordering calipers for a '95 Prelude VTEC. Can I use these calipers/brackets until I can source some 23t brackets? My local store is getting tired of seeing my face every three days (the time it takes them to get calipers in).
Old 08-15-2007, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket (kbud)

well according to the wright up I just read those are suppose to have the 23t brackets. I got the 94-95 Acura Legend GS Sedan (dual piston) 28T bracket when I did my swap. now my stock brackets where the 23t, and they did not fit the new calipers. I have just used the 28t bracket that were on the calipers, and after about a year, still no problems, and the pads are still doing fine.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket (hondaccord)

98-2002 Accord V6 calipers have 23T brackets. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket (Bird333)

So the difference between the 25t and 28t brackets is a dual piston caliper? Does the dual piston caliper from the legend would fit the '94 -'97 Accord Wagon caliper bracket? I am planning dual piston upgrade with the accordWagon/prelude rotors.

hondaccord - did you have to swap out the brake master cylinder for the new calipers? If not, are they touchy? Did your brake pedal travel to brake power change?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket (jabontke)

Good question. I'd like to know myself. Is the Legend GS swap a straight caliper swap only do you need to change the master cylinder, too?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket (F23Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jabontke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the difference between the 25t and 28t brackets is a dual piston caliper? Does the dual piston caliper from the legend would fit the '94 -'97 Accord Wagon caliper bracket? I am planning dual piston upgrade with the accordWagon/prelude rotors.

hondaccord - did you have to swap out the brake master cylinder for the new calipers? If not, are they touchy? Did your brake pedal travel to brake power change?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe the difference between the 23t, 25t, and the 28t brackets are the pad, and caliper sizes. I know that my stock 23t caliper brackets would not fit the dual piston caliper, thus had to use the 28t brackets, and get pads to match.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F23Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good question. I'd like to know myself. Is the Legend GS swap a straight caliper swap only do you need to change the master cylinder, too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought at first that I had to change the master cylinder, and the proportioning valve. I tried to change the master cyl, but ended up getting the wrong one, and i had already done the swap without.

I actually love the feel of my breaks now, when I first got the car the break felt as if it went way to far down before engagement, which I found out was normal, from my friend that I bought the car from. He also had a 94 that was the same exact way. I was also told that there was uneven pad were if you didn't change out the master, yet haven't experienced any myself. The breaks can lock up if I want to, but good peddle control, and it is sweet, I have noticed a lot better control of the car, especial on windy mountain roads.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

some one should really make a sticky about this..I'm tired of answering it
Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket (cb7-R)

what about the caliper bracket, or master, and proportioning valve?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about we get back onto the original topic? Does anyone know if I can run the 25t bracket until I can find a 23t bracket?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM

the onesusgestion I have is to lift you car, take off the wheel take the two bolts out holding the caliper, hang it, and do not disconect the house. then remove the pads, two more bolts, and see if the brackets that come with your calipers will bolt up. this is were I got all the info for my swap http://www.accordinglydone.com...=3970
I did a crap load of searching on a lot of differant forums before I even bought the parts.
so in short, if the 25t brackets are like what I faced with the 28t brackets, then they should fit. just differant pad size. i do rember trying to use the stock caliper bracket, and that wouldn't even fit around the new 11.2" caliper.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kbud &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How about we get back onto the original topic? Does anyone know if I can run the 25t bracket until I can find a 23t bracket?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about you just search for the answers..theres only 97,000 threads about this.

Heres a freebie. The bracket number corresponds to the thickness of the rotor(in mm). So 23t brackets are for....
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've read every thread I can find and I believe I can run the bracket. I asked to see if anyone else has had any luck doing it. I know what the designation on the bracket means. However, I've gone through 4 sets not of loaded calipers from Autozone (Morse Calipers brand) and tonight got a set of Nissin's w/ one each of a 25t and 23t bracket. That tells me Morse thinks I can run them. How about you go away and be smug somewhere else?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kbud &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> That tells me Morse thinks I can run them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

And of course the parts vendors cant be wrong can they...Is your car gonna crash with them?? Probably not. Since you know what the number represents why dont you use common sense an decide for yourself what you should do...
Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fight , fight , fight.

kbud, if I were you, I would just try a test fit and see what happens. I am even a bit confused. Here's my assumption from this post:

I want to run the dual piston caliper setup. I have bought rotors from a 95 Prelude VTEC, now I need the 28T calipers for the dual piston calipers and the dual piston calipers themselves.

I am assuming that the 25T bracket uses a smaller pad, thus less effective for the dual piston caliper. However, I have not read anything saying that the dual piston caliper would not fit into the 25T bracket and work properly. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket (jabontke)

I thought the number on the bracket means the thickness of rotors that they can accept? So if you're going with the Legend GS calipers with 10.2" rotors, then I'd think the 23T should be the bracket of choice. But if you're putting in 11.1" rotors (Prelude VTEC, Accord Wagon, and etc.) then you may want to swap in a 28T. I think you'd want to put in a 25T if you're using a single piston caliper like in the Accord V6, Integra Type R and such with 11.1" rotors.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its funny that everyone frowns upon this trivial question, and tells the guy to search, yet no one has given him a remotely correct answer.

yes putting on a brake pad 2mm further away will really make you crash instantly, that makes tons of sense.

or throwing on a 23t bracket meant for a 23mm rotor onto an accord wagon rotor that is 25mm. that sounds like a bright idea too.

what the orignal poster should do is try to get the proper brackets to match the rotor. as you have not said if you are using stock 90-97 wagon rotors which are 25mm, or if you did a hub conversion to run vtec lude rotors, which are 23mm.

if you have wagon rotors and the 25t brackets, then you are set. if you have lude rotors and 25t brackets, your still ok for now. you just run the risk of over extending your pistons when the pads get too low. ideally you'd want to get 23t brackets, but by no means will they not work for now.

i've heard 23t brackets can clear 25mm rotors, but i personally wouldn't try it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eddiebx)

So basically, if he runs Accord wagon rotors, the 25T brackets should work. I didn't know there were two different thickness rotors for the 11.1". Prelude VTEC is 23 mm whereas the Accord wagon is 25 mm? Is that right?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (F23Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F23Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So basically, if he runs Accord wagon rotors, the 25T brackets should work. I didn't know there were two different thickness rotors for the 11.1". Prelude VTEC is 23 mm whereas the Accord wagon is 25 mm? Is that right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are probably confused becuase you own a 6th gen, where you can use the lude rotors, which are 23mm.

on the 5th gen, they have stupid hub/rotor setups, so they need to run either the wagon/v6 rotor which is 25mm, or convert the hubs to run the 23mm lude rotor.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh ok, gotcha. Hm, I was going to get the Prelude VTEC 23mm rotors but if the Accord wagon/V6 rotors are 25 mm, I might just get those.

This is after I switch out my calipers to the Legend GS calipers with the 28T brackets.

If I want to run Prelude VTEC rotors with the Legend GS calipers, can I use my stock 23T brackets with the Legend GS calipers? Sorry to take it OT but you raised up an issue I didn't think of before and I'm in a similar situation to the OP, though for a 6th gen. Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM

u can't use wagon rotors on the 6th gen, they are not hub over rotor.

and u cant use stock brackets, because those are 10" or so.

u need 23T brackets from a vtec lude/itr, or maybe even a 6th gne v6, those are 23T also i believe.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, should have stated in the first post that I'm using the Prelude 23mm rotors on a ROH conversion. I brought the 25t and 23t caliper set home and will measure them for differences this weekend. Just from eyeballing them, the pads are the same thickness and length. I really don't understand why the rebuilder is sending out 25t brackets for a 23mm application. I thought the first set might have been a mistake, but after going through 4 sets, I think they just ignore the 2mm difference. Thanks for the help, kyle
Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 AM

the pads are all the same, the brackets just set the outer pad 2mm furhter out.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That brings up another question. Are the all the single piston calipers the same? I know there are two different manufacturers, Akebono and Nissin. It would seem to me the bracket width should correspond with the width of the caliper. I know the difference is not made up in the pad thickness.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You know, I thought all Honda 23T brackets were the same because people were posting up stories that they have this certain type of caliper but didn't have the brackets for 'em so they'd go through junkyards trying to source the brackets separately.

In other words, when someone had a set of Legend GS calipers (which come with 28T brackets) to use with 10.2" rotors like on their stock Accord rotors, for example, they were to go and put on 23T brackets. But none of the posts mentioned looking for 23T 10.2" brackets. Same thing when they were going to put in Accord Wagon rotors. They were trying to find 23T brackets for their new upgraded brake calipers, but they didn't specify that they were looking for 23T brackets that could fit over 11.1" rotors.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kbud)

I know of one person on another board that had a heck of a time with their pads binding because they had a different brand name caliper with a different set of brackets. So I do think that there are possible slight variations if you mix and match parts from different cars, let alone different brands.

Quick Reply: 23t vs 25t caliper bracket