Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

my car hates me.(the seat belt at least)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car hates me.(the seat belt at least) warranty info(need help)

well i just finished changing all the fluids in my car(90 accord), made a few little repairs and when i get in for the test drive my autobelt just sits there in the open position with the door closed. the passenger works fine. the funny thing is i've messed with it and i can pull it towards the closed position, then when i open my door it moves back to the open position. so i came to the conclusion that my door isn't registering as closed. but the little button that the door presses against when closed seems fine. what is my problem?

Modified by speedtrash2 at 7:46 AM 2/14/2007
Old 02-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Seat Belt Issues...

I had a similar problem with my Accord only I didn't have auto belts but rather the overhead light would not kill... Do you have a "Door Ajar" light on your dashboard (it's been awhile since I snagged a look on the dash of a CB)? If that light is on then try removing the door pin and closing the circuit (ie - make the points contact) and see if your belt goes to the "closed" position. Now with the circuit closed check and see if the door ajar light is still on... if so then this could possibly be an issue with both doors. This saves you from making two trips to Honda. The replacement pins are $25 and you usually can get lucky and they will have one in stock at most dealerships. I changed mine in the Honda parking lot on a rainy afternoon; literally takes five minutes or less.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 AM

sorry if i come off as ignorant or car illiterate, but when you say door pin i think of the pin that holds my door to my car. and where are these circuits at? ( i'd stare at my car for an hour before coming back and asking this question, but i'm in class now and don't have internet access outside of school)
Old 02-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Door pin...

I have always referred to the little push button device that regulates the overhead light; auto seatbelts and door ajar light as the door pin though I really have no idea what its actually called. I believe on your model it will be mounted on the body side of the door jam and not on the door though I could be wrong. It's a lil' push buttom device that when the door is sealed depresses the button. Here's an example to help you out.

The button is part of a system similar to when you hooked up a lightbulb; a battery and a switch with electrical wire in middleschool science class; this is referred to as a circuit. When the switch is depressed the circuit is referred to as "closed" allowing the battery to feed juice to the bulb. When the circuit is "open" then the negative or positive end of the battery (whichever you hooked up to the switch) does not have connectivity to the bulb and hence the bulb will not light. Does this make sense?

The door pin works similarly. There are two or three bolts and I don't recall if they are 10 or 12mm or a posidrive screwdriver... it's been a few years. Remove those and you will have the door pin out. Here is where it gets tricky because for some reason I am wanting to say there are three wires (hot; neutral and ground) but we will ignore that thought for now. If you look at it I am sure you can deduce which two need to be connected and which one needs to simply touch the body. Worst case scenario is you pop a fuse. You should be able to trouble shoot this from there. Since you are not able to access the internet I'll message you my cell number if you have any questions or just get stuck.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Door pin... (Surfjunkie44)

Do the interior lights switch on & off correctly with the driver's door? If so, maybe the problem is in the logic that tells the seatbelt motor when to run.

In that case, call the dealer. That seatbelt stuff is supposed to be warrantied for the 'life of the car'. It's worth a phone call at least.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lifetime warranty on seatbelts, go to honda they'll fix it for free
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lifetime warranty on seatbelts, go to honda they'll fix it for free</TD></TR></TABLE>

True; if the seatbelt is stuck in the foward position.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 AM

i never even thought about the warranty. saves me the trouble. thanks a lot guys
Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 AM

well guys i went to clark napp honda in mcallen, texas and talked to rick and explained my situation and he told me that the retracting mechanism is not covered. so i mentioned how the coil that pulls in the belt was wearing the belt away and would sometimes get hooked and lock the mechanism up and i think that's where my problem started, that's when he told me the belt is not covered. so i asked him what is covered and he said the buckle. is all this true or is he just refusing me service.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:10 AM

surfjunkie i can't use the message system cause i'm still a noob, and can't remember the password to my old speedtrash account. i can recieve your's though
Old 02-14-2007, 07:01 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like he's refusing service, if it's a danger to your health (IE it's stuck in the forward position) then it is 100% covered by warranty.

Call American Honda if you go again and they refuse you.