Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   2001 Honda Accord O2 Sensor Issue (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/2001-honda-accord-o2-sensor-issue-3085671/)

zombie_breeder 09-04-2012 05:07 AM

2001 Honda Accord O2 Sensor Issue

Hello Eeveryone,

My wife has a 2001 Honda Accord 4 cyl Value Package. The check engine light was on so I took it to the auto parts store and it came back fine. The guy who checked it is fairly notorious for not knowing what he is doing. I cleared the CEL and it came back on last night. I went to a different parts place this morning and it came back with Oxygen Senor Bank 1 being the issue. More reliable store overall.

I believe I have located the sensor under the hood on the exhaust and I am getting ready to order a replacement but I have read that it can sometimes be as simple as a blown fuse. The only problem is that I cannot seem to find out which fuse(s) to check. Everything I find online shows a different fuse box than mine. Any suggestions?

If I do need to replace the O2 sensor is it as simple and straightforward as it looks? Lastly, is Bosch a good brand for these sensors?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

tim73 09-04-2012 05:36 AM

Re: 2001 Honda Accord O2 Sensor Issue

Not sure about a fuse. Anyway, to replace them they sell a special socket that has a slot cut in it to allow the wire to pass through. But, I normally just cut the wire off and use a regular socket. Then install the new one with a regular open ended wrench.

Sometime they can be hard to get out. If you do decide to use a penetrating fluid, ensure none gets on the new one. They say it can damage it.

jdmcertified909 09-04-2012 06:49 AM

just to let you know a code of o2 sensor doesn't mean its the o2 sensor it could be bad wiring. it could be your running rich thus coated the o2 sensor in charcoal black stuff making the o2 sensor fail. a scanner just gives you an idea where to start the diagnosis. you could go ahead and replace the o2 but a month later it could go back out again due to it being covered in charcoal black. i always pull codes then diagnosis the problem and find the culprit i never replace parts without a full professional diagnosis.
FAST FORWARD TO :45 EVEN HE WILL TELL YOU

doctorbee 09-04-2012 01:22 PM

no go with Denso (Original). use the part finder at www.densoaftermarket.com

Amazon.com has great prices.

doctorbee 09-04-2012 01:23 PM

bank 1 is the more expensive upstream air fuel ratio sensor which is critical for engine management. go with denso and not bosch or any other brand.

MAD_MIKE 09-04-2012 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by zombie_breeder (Post 47815619)
came back with Oxygen Senor Bank 1 being the issue.

What was the exact code?
OBD II systems will state what the problem is. Then from there you can figure out what the actual problem may be.

If I do need to replace the O2 sensor is it as simple and straightforward as it looks?

Replacement of the sensor is pretty straight forward, however if it is the original sensor and depending on where you live, the sensor could be rusted to the exhaust which can become a PITA to remove. If the sensor looks relatively clean and not rusted over it should be fairly easy to remove. Make sure to use the correct size wrench and some good leverage. If it is stuck let the engine warm up the exhaust and try breaking it free when hot, let it cool down then remove it.

Lastly, is Bosch a good brand for these sensors?

Nope, they are inherently lazy.
Stick with a Denso, Delco/Delphi, or NTK brand of O2.

Lost Again 09-05-2012 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE (Post 47818152)
What was the exact code?
OBD II systems will state what the problem is. Then from there you can figure out what the actual problem may be..

X2 - Always get the actual code. As there is still a bit of information missing IMO - We know Bank 1 but is it sensor 1 or 2?

Originally Posted by doctorbee (Post 47817758)
bank 1 is the more expensive upstream air fuel ratio sensor which is critical for engine management. go with denso and not bosch or any other brand.

How can you tell if this car has the AF sensor? The OP never states what engine is in the car.