Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2001 Honda Accord Ex Coupe V6 - Diagnosis Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Honda Accord Ex Coupe V6 - Diagnosis Needed

Hello Honda Community! I have a 2001 Honda Accord Ex Coupe V6 with about 180,000 - 200,000 miles on the total body and 90,000 on the engine since it was replaced 4 years ago. The car ran perfect until about 1 year ago. When I get in the car, I can't just confidently turn the key forward and then the ignition and expect it to start up. When I flip the key forward and let the car prime for 15 - 30 seconds and then turn the engine on, the car will stutter for like a second before actually turning on. If I don't prime it, it will never turn on the first time, never. However, regardless of whether or not I prime the first attempt, my car always works on the second attempt and that is the main reason I never made this post earlier, because I can always rely on it to work the second time. I got a new main fuel relay and the ignition switch seems fine because I have no issues other than the first attempt to turn on the car. Also, I feel like my gas meter is off sometimes. Whenever I start the car the second time, I notice that it barely turns on, and then the car shakes lightly for a second or two before feeling normal and healthy. When I start driving, I can usually speed up in the Honda without any issues but sometimes it feels like it's not accelerating fast enough and when I let go of the gas and press again it feels like there is unusual torque like the car is struggling to keep it's power. This car has never given me any issues and the engine bay is maintained properly with timely oil changes and fluid checks. It's in great condition and I've only put premium gas at gas stations. Now, with all this being said, I feel like I know the issue. I just need you guys to confirm it or show me where I'm wrong. The entire electrical fuel pump assembly has not been changed for the entire 180k miles. I feel like since I can get it to work after priming sometimes, or directly after trying the second time, it has something to do with either the fuel pump, fuel sensor, or filter. What should I do? What is the most refined way to diagnose my car? Will a new fuel pump assembly make the car work every time if there are no other issues in the starter or engine? Throw all your knowledge this way!

Last edited by Omario123; 08-16-2018 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Wrong sentence!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: 2001 Honda Accord Ex Coupe V6 - Diagnosis Needed

your car uses an in-tank filter which is more or less integrated into the pump assembly. it can be purchased and replaced separately from the pump but looks like a hassle.

fuel pressure testers can be purchased on-line for not too much money. some autoparts stores may even offer them for rent (never checked myself, but worth a try) if it is a filter or fuel system issue you should see that played out on the pressure tester gauge. If I can find my service manual this weekend I can confirm the fuel pressure spec. for you.

however, gut feeling is an electrical gremlin. maybe the key switch... i know those were prone to failure on this generation.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hondamark35
your car uses an in-tank filter which is more or less integrated into the pump assembly. it can be purchased and replaced separately from the pump but looks like a hassle.

fuel pressure testers can be purchased on-line for not too much money. some autoparts stores may even offer them for rent (never checked myself, but worth a try) if it is a filter or fuel system issue you should see that played out on the pressure tester gauge. If I can find my service manual this weekend I can confirm the fuel pressure spec. for you.

however, gut feeling is an electrical gremlin. maybe the key switch... i know those were prone to failure on this generation.
Thanks a lot bro! Let me know when you find the manual, in the meantime, I'm going to watch videos about the key switch.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
If I can find my service manual this weekend I can confirm the fuel pressure spec. for you.
it shows 40-48 psi.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What makes you think electrical instead of clogged fuel filter / failing pump, since they are likely original to the car?
Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevs02Accord
What makes you think electrical instead of clogged fuel filter / failing pump, since they are likely original to the car?
mainly because it always starts on the second go and for the most part seems to drive ok.

reading back through your first post again you're probably doing the right thing to rule out a fuel supply issue.