Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2001 Accord- general questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Accord- general questions

I'm planning to trade my Subaru to my son for his Accord, so I'd like to fix up a few things on it assuming I'm going to keep it as a daily driver..

First, I'd like to replace the steel wheels with allows from an EX. I saw a set from the previous generation- would these fit my year (they look the same with 4 lugs, just want to make sure no issues with offset, etc...)

How easy would it be to retrofit an EX spoiler to the trunk lid- is there wiring present in the trunk lid of my LX for the spoiler's 3rd brake light?

How easy are the headlight assemblies to replace? I didn't see any obvious fasteners holding them in place- does anything else need to be removed in order to remove the headlights?

Lastly, the hoses are all original. I's like to replace them, but the heater hoses look pretty hard to get to. Has anyone replaced the heater hoses and did anything else need ot be removed to get to them easily?

Old 01-06-2019, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 2001 Accord- general questions

the 4 lug wheels work across all 98 to 02 accords, no offset issues

the cabin heater hoses are relatively straight forward, remove the intake duct and the connections should be obvious. you may need to unplug some stuff but its not a big deal and want to change the thermostat while your in there. Also look closely at the heater valve, they start to leak after 15 years or so, change it if there are any drips. A leaky valve besides letting coolant out also lets air into the system.

If your replacing all the hoses, such as the IACV heater hoses, that can be more challenging. One hose that runs from the IACV, which is on the backside of the intake plenum, to the water pump discharge pipe is a pain because there's not a lot of room behind the plenum to work. I usually change that hose when I have the intake plenum off to clean the EGR passage (you may want to do that and clean the IACV).
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo F
I saw a set from the previous generation- would these fit my year (they look the same with 4 lugs, just want to make sure no issues with offset, etc...)
90-02 Accord 4 lug wheels are all 4 x 114.3mm with the correct offset. 92-96 Prelude(4 lug) also work. 240SX use the same BP, not sure about offset.
How easy would it be to retrofit an EX spoiler to the trunk lid- is there wiring present in the trunk lid of my LX for the spoiler's 3rd brake light?
Fairly sure the wiring is present, might actually be easier to just score a complete decklid with the spoiler already attached. I find it hard to locate a decklid that does not have a spoiler. Might be able to trade or sell yours for same.
How easy are the headlight assemblies to replace? I didn't see any obvious fasteners holding them in place- does anything else need to be removed in order to remove the headlights?
Front bumper cover needs to be removed.
There are two visible bolts up top and three hidden by the bumper cover.
Lastly, the hoses are all original. I's like to replace them, but the heater hoses look pretty hard to get to. Has anyone replaced the heater hoses and did anything else need ot be removed to get to them easily?
Heater core hoses with the intake installed is a ******* ***** to get to. Unless S&M is your thing, take the intake manifold off.
If the engine have over 80K miles, I would remove the upper plenum, then the lower runners. This will give you plenty of room to work with the hoses.
I would suggest using Honda heater core hoses, several aftermarket hoses do not have the correct bend/length to clear the rear engine mount and are very close or touch the rear mount.
Heater core is AL, don't even bother trying to twist off the hose, use a razor and slice it down the long access and peel the hose back like a banana. Check the functionality of the heater control valve as well.
If it feels sticky or stiff, replace it while you have the system apart.
With the intake off as schreps suggested, clean out the EGR port in the plenum, but also clean out the EGR main feed port in the head as well.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel like everyone is making the rear hoses sound a lot harder to replace than they are. I've never had a hard time getting them off from underneath. All I've ever had to take off to do the entire cooling system is the intake and the distributor.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car on stands, you lying on your back, no problem to replace the heater hose.