Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2001 Accord EXL-UL F23A4 Oil leak at valve cover gasket or head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Accord EXL-UL F23A4 Oil leak at valve cover gasket or head gasket

Hi everyone,

I am in need of help with my 2001 Accord. It is the 2.3L F23A4 motor Ultra low emission engine. I decided to fix my oil consumption problem due to leaking valve seals. The head rebuilding went well (replaced seals, valves, springs, etc). The only problem is I have this persistent oil leak from the right back corner of the motor (behind timing belt cover). The oil is coming out at the same level of the head gasket. It comes out fast when the motor is on.

I thought it was the head gasket since I may have put it on wrong and oil was pouring out of a corner near head gasket. So I removed it and put it back on, but it was correct the first time. I checked that all the holes lined up and the opposite orientation did not work for sure. Followed factory instructions for install as well. I am using a Ebay headgasket which looks exactly like OEM and the company has good reviews (carpartswiz). FYI I did check the cam seal and there was no oil leaking from that.

Then I discovered that I think it is actually the valve cover gasket that is leaking (my hypothesis currently). I noticed that when pouring oil without valve cover on to lubricate top end no oil leaks from the back right corner. But when the valve cover is on and I pour oil in the fill hole, the oils comes out exactly at that spot as when engine running. So I believe it is leaking at the circular portion/corners of gasket of the valve cover (on right side near timing belt). I have tried multiple times to put it on but it is still leaking when I pour the oil. I use HondaBond on the corners as recommended. Even put HondaBond on the circular part but still leaks.

I am not sure if this is a PCV valve issue with pressure build up but I don't think so. I cannot figure out how to put this valve cover on correctly without it leaking. Anyone else ever have this issue? Do I need to buy a new valve cover? It just seems the valve cover won't sit properly, seems so trivial but so annoying.

I can try and get some pictures and put up for better reference.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2001 Accord EXL-UL F23A4 Oil leak at valve cover gasket or head gasket

Since the rockers/cam were off, I'd double check the torque on the holders. Pretty sure the #1 and #5 holders take a bit of "hondabond" before they go on....too early and lazy right now to check the service manual.

Might have to try a new valve cover gasket , I read of others having "fit" issues with some of the aftermarket ones.

Check the surface of the head for nicks and that. I put a dab of "silicone" into the sharp corners on the head where the "cam hump" is....I know the "book" says on the gasket but that is just what I do.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 Accord EXL-UL F23A4 Oil leak at valve cover gasket or head gasket

I followed your advice and removed the rocker arms. I did notice that there was not as much hondabond on one side and slight amount of oil, whereas other side was dry and had a nice layer (Referring to the timing belt side of rocker arms, where the leak is occurring). I took a pic of that area showing the camshaft seal. Does it look right in terms of installation? It does seem to have a gap between gasket and circular wall, but when I had the head off I did not see much oil from there though.

This is a picture of where the oil leak is coming from (circled yellow).

Old 05-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Trial User

Did you change the valve cover gaskets?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I did, I am using an OEM honda valve cover gasket. Also had a new Felpro that I tried first.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Trial User

There's a little tab on the valve cover gasket. Where did you position it?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Trial User

I've got an 01 accord v6 and just went through this gasket change this weekend. My neighbor/mechanic was specific about my positioning the tab on the straight long edge away from the intake manifold/ plenum. Also, did you tighten the in a non-adjacent tightening order, repeating until about 14ft-lbs on each?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Trial User

Btw, I used felpro also.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea the tabs on the valve cover gasket on the 2.3L motors doesn't stick out at intake manifold. They stick out to the right of valve cover over the extensions of the valve cover. I actually redid the HondaBond on the rocker arms points, since I noticed a little oil on one side when I was removing. Also I changed the camshaft seal, since I believe the first one I put in was not the correct diameter. The new one I put sits flush with the engine and no gap. I believe at this point that it was the incorrect camshaft seal. We will see in an hour. Letting the HondaBond cure.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Trial User

Good luck. Let us know.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just me and maybe because the #1 holder is off but there is almost nothing sealing that liitle valley and the cam seal.

Just my opinion and using what you have stated.......valve cover on, pour oil and you can see it leak in that area.

Either something is up with the seal, cam holder is not sealing off, or the gasket is leaking in the "hump".

Can't remember right not but I'm pretty sure the 6th gens are like the older ones. You can leave the "upper cam belt" cover off, put everything back together....put a bit of hondabond on the cam holder, I looked and there is suppose to be some on the mating suface. The re-run your tests/engine and with a good light see if you can tell where it is coming from.

Just me and my opining but again in those pic's something with the cam seal just doesn't look right......gap on the outside, "inner spring" looks off
Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So problem has been resolved. It was indeed the camshaft seal that was leaking. There is no longer a leak from that spot on engine. I put in an smaller than needed seal which was why it was leaking. I also redid the rocker arm assembly gasket points which could of helped. Luckily I had a larger seal in the kit I bought just picked wrong one. So far the car is running well with no leaks. Now have to replace the knock sensor since it broke which I believe is causing the weird idling.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good for you....one down.

What is the strange idle....up and down when warm? If so you might want to re-bleed the air from the coolant system, be sure the heater is set to max so you purge the air from the heater core when doing this.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. Yes I do plan on bleeding the cooling system soon. I thought the rough idle was due to the knock sensor not functioning. I read the ECM uses it to determine engine timing. Funny thing is it only idles rough in park/neutral. When in drive or reverse the idle issue goes away.