Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 honda accord coupe stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 2000 honda accord coupe stalling

My mother's 2000 accord coupe, the one with NSX style lights, has been continue to stall on us over the past few months. I have taken it to a mechanic and he said that it should, key word SHOULD, fix the problem with a replacement of the fuel pump. Well life hit hard, and it turned out to be more than just the fuel pump. He had taken apart the encasing around it and i guess it was totally and utterly disgusting and had a lot of buildup of god knows what. so that, a battery, and the fuel pump kicked my *** 700 dollars later. Now we took it to the shop today and he was gonna look at it again. About an hour ago he called us back and let us know what they think it is this time. Apparently, the exhaust and intake valves are too tight and need an adjustment. In addition to the valve adjustment, he would replace the spark plugs seeing as they might as well while they were at it. Then, he says we might need a new timing belt, making an assumption that it hasn't been replaced recently. we have had the car for about a year, maybe, and barely drive it far enough to hit 100,000 miles since we got it. I should also say that the previous owner had changed everything when the car needed. Me and my mom aren't that great at keeping up with all the maintenance, but were not the worst either.Also, My assumption was that it might be stalling from a simple vacuum leak, but the only thing i havent experienced is the loud whistling that comes from a leak. Now since the first time we had it fixed, it only stalls when you have been driving it and stopping it, driving it and stopping it, then it wont turn on.... well it will turn on but it dies right after. try it again...same thing.. Then the last time it actually turns all the way on, but the car starts to idle funny and feel like its about to die. I couldnt explain it that well, but yeah, stalling issues. So in conclusion, I was wondering if anybody has experienced stalling with a honda accord and maybe what was done to fix it? And have you ever heard of this before?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2000 honda accord coupe stalling

forgot to mention its a Honda Accord EX(?) Coupe v6 (I believe) 3.0L
Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't take this wrong....that is a hard read.

First, timing belt job and valve adjustment is a regular maintenance thing so they should be done at some point, same with the spark plugs.

For the stalling. Is this still happening as you are driving down the road.

Or is this more of a "hard to start" thing.....meaning once the car is warm and you turn it off, say go into a store, and come back about10~15 minutes later and try to start the car it won't start...or if it does it runs very rough.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im new, my sons cruise control will run fine for awhile and then it cuts out. can any one point me to right area or give me the answer plz. thanx
Old 01-22-2016, 12:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

While the car is running, sitting, jiggle the key for a bit and see if it shuts off. The ign on this is well know to be a fail point.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1yesfan
While the car is running, sitting, jiggle the key for a bit and see if it shuts off. The ign on this is well know to be a fail point.
Yes I would agree however based upon the cryptic description below.

Originally Posted by Jonah Arnone
Now since the first time we had it fixed, it only stalls when you have been driving it and stopping it, driving it and stopping it, then it wont turn on.... well it will turn on but it dies right after.

Try it again...same thing.. Then the last time it actually turns all the way on, but the car starts to idle funny and feel like its about to die.
The early 6th gen v6's are also well know for "vapor lock" - drive it until it get to normal temp. Shut the car of and "go into a store" or something for 10~15 minutes and come back and try to re-start the car and it will not start.....or if it does will run bad - could die out - or you have to almost floor it to keep it running.

This "vapor lock" issue will really show up in the cold when "winter blend" gas is being used.

Just my two cents.........
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have started having this same issue while hwy driving my 99 LX. The key symbol flashes, the speedo and tach go to zero and the check engine light comes on for a second, then within a second, it is back to power as normal only with a slight hesitation. I have read it could be the main fuel relay, battery (I didn't think this was likely as at full speed, isn't the alternator supplying the power?) or ignition switch. As the car is 17 years old, I am not sure I want to spend a bunch of money chasing electrical gremlins but if a simple explanation is available, I will give it a whirl.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

bad icm?

Starting Problems
Old 04-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I started looking into the relays, battery and ignition switch but found the main ground off the neg battery terminal is completely corroded and nearly broken. The smaller ground is intact. Could this be the cause of any of the stalling issues??
I think my blower resistor has recently burned out also . Possible link??
Old 04-10-2016, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A poor battery connection can and will cause all kinds of strange issues.

Get the connection taken care of and see what you have from there.