Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 Accord Sometimes Won't Start/Sputters When Starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord Sometimes Won't Start/Sputters When Starting

So pretty much I just bought this accord and while it runs great when it gets started, it sometimes does not start well and its starting to make me worry. The symptoms of it are when I've driven it around for a bit and turn it off and start it again it will sometimes sputter with really low rpms and then spike to about 1300-1400 and then calm down and act as there's nothing wrong with it. It will also do that when its been sitting in the sun for a while even if its not been driven and today it was about 97 out and I go to try and start my car and it cranks but won't turn over. It kept doing this and after constantly trying to get it to start it finally gets very low rpms, like 200 or so, and I pumped the gas for about 10 seconds and it finally stayed on. After that I drove about 5 miles with no problems what so ever while driving. When I got to the destination I turned it off and then went to start it again about 2 minutes later and there was nothing wrong with it and started perfect like 5 times in a row.

For the most part the symptoms are only when it gets hot but last night I went out and parked my car at around 12am in a garage. I left it there for about 3 hours and when I got back and went to start it, it started sputtering with really low rpms and shaking the car a little before finally evening out. I had to turn off and turn on my car a few times before leaving the garage and all three times I restarted it, it did that same thing but drove fine and started the first time I turned the keys.

Now I've done some research and what I'm thinking is it's a bad main relay but I would really appreciate the opinion from people more experienced than me because while for the most part the symptoms line up with a bad main relay, the fact I was having problems with it last night on a cool night is making me think it could be something else.

Thank you guys so much in advance and I greatly appreciate any input you have on this.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Accord Sometimes Won't Start/Sputters When Starting

Main relay symptoms are:

• Car won't start when hot outside (fuel injected PGM-FI models only. For carb see )
  • Car won't start after parked for just a minute.
  • Car starts but quickly dies as the rpm shoots to 1300 rpm. A second cranking attempt will crank but no signs of catching or any strong rpm movements.
  • Once started the car won't stall. After the car runs for a couple minutes, the symptoms return after shutting off the engine.
  • Windows have been rolled up on a hot day when problem occurred.
  • The heater was on before turning the car off.
  • Tapping your fingers or keys on the main relay will start the car.
  • No (humming) sound from the fuel pump the moment the ignition switches ON.
  • No click sound after the ignition key turns on or
  • No click sound two seconds after the ignition turns on.
  • Check engine light comes on (rare cases) or stays on longer than usual and no sparks (electronic timing only.)
  • 10-15 of waiting and the car pushed to a shade, will usually start.
  • If this is your car, see Solutions.
Honda Acura Essential Electrical Repair Website. Troubleshooting Main Relay, Coil, Igniter, etc.

Starting Problems
Old 10-22-2016, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Accord Sometimes Won't Start/Sputters When Starting

OP= What engine is in the car - four or six?