Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1999 Accord Starter Not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Accord Starter Not engaging

I recently bout my 1999 Honda Accord EX (stick) from someone a few weeks ago. A few days ago i went to start my car and it was making this weird noise and wouldnt start. I looked under the hood and had my brother try to start the car and realized the noise was the starter free spinning and not engaging the flywheel. I took the starter off and got a new one and put the new one on and it did the same thing not engaging the flywheel. I returned the new starter and got my money back but now i am confused as to what is wrong. As of now i clutch kick the car to get it running and once its on it runs completely fine. Ive tried taping the the starter to see if it would engage. The original starter was bench tested at autozone and i was told that the problem is my ignition switch. Apon futher expection i found that my postive battery was loose and not tightening so i bought a new one and put it on. Also my negative battery cable have a big chunck of wire showing (that has been showing for a while due to the black discoloration) so i bout a new one and plan to put it on. My question is can any of this effect the cars starter.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Accord Starter Not engaging

Originally Posted by AnthonyBeasley
realized the noise was the starter free spinning and not engaging the flywheel. I took the starter off and got a new one and put the new one on and it did the same thing not engaging the flywheel....The original starter was bench tested at autozone and i was told that the problem is my ignition switch.
Interlock mechnism on the starter only allows the starter motor to engage after the 'bendix' gear drive engages the ring gear on the flywheel/flexplate(driveplate). It would be highly unlikely that both starters are faulty in the same way.
Were you able to witness the testing of the starter?
Did you see the gear drive telescope when power was applied and then retract when power was removed?
I would inspect the flywheel ring gear teeth.
Verify that the ring gear itself is not somehow out of line with the starter.
I would also verify that the car does not have some Frankenstein'd parts or some weird swap done that may not seem obvious to a new Honda Accord owner/user.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Accord Starter Not engaging

I did witness the test but i was told there isnt a way for a bench test to test the bendix. And ive also seen that the flexplate on the flywheel could have broken but sometimes when i crank the car just to see what happens the starter will engage for a split second then go back to free spinning