Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

1999 accord shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 accord shuts off while driving

Hey guys,

I have a 99 accord LX bought it about 6 months ago. Lately the car just dies on me randomly. At first it was only when I was pulling out of the parking lot but now its starting to happen at busy traffic lights and a couple of times I was going 70mph on the highway and it just turned off. Basically the rpms drop to zero and the car just starts rolling, no engine or other warning lights. The one light that flashes is the green "key" light (which i think just means the key is still in the car). I heard a lot about the ignition switch recall so i called up honda but they said my car already had it replaced. Do you guys have any idea what the problem could be?

When I got the car the only problem was that it leaked power steering fluid that needed to be refilled about once every week if I drove it every day. I can deal with that but the car dying on the highway is just getting dangerous. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the same problem. Main relay >40$ You can also do a search and take it apart to resolder the board in there. The thing is usually up under dash, look up from foot area, about 3/4 size pack of cigs. black and should be marked relay main. The metal soldering cracks, and when the cracks expand from heat a connection will be lost. On mine the fuel pump, which i could tell because no whirring noise from the trunk sometimes at startup, sounds like you have the same dealio
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM

thanks crazykarl...just a couple questions:

1) was your problem on an accord as well?

2) is there some way to check whether it really is the main relay?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes mine was an Accord and you can check it with a multitester, but you will have to take it out(easy)
Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dinoniel)

when it shuts off and you turn the key back in the ignition position do you hear the fuel pump whirling or priming? thats another way to know, make you you know what the fuel pump priming sounds like first. you should have a hard time starting if its bad. my 99 accord had a problem starting and i wouldnt hear the pump priming so i replaced it as well and it worked. not the same issue but another way to diagnosis.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Re: 1999 accord shuts off while driving (dinoniel)

Ck the ignition switch....don't think a main relay was a prob on 99's.
I think there was a recall on that as well....

Yup just checked..02-031 call your dealer with your vin number and they can tell you if it's been done already. I have had to replace these even after the recall..... I think Honda would help you out if it's been done.
Good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Din
Honda-Tech Member

i had same problem in a 99 accord. There was a dealer recall on it.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you figure it out ?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Default Re: (crazykarlnow)

no didnt figure it out yet...got really busy with work and family stuff. last night i was going 75mph in the rain and it just turned off, wipers stuck in the middle of the windshield and cars all around me. thank God there was a shoulder to pull over on. Honda isnt open on weekends but when i get the chance im gonna talk to them asap to find out if they are willing to replace the ignition switch again. praying that that is really the problem and that they will help me out. i'll keep you guys posted thanks for all the help so far.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:20 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dinoniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no didnt figure it out yet...got really busy with work and family stuff. last night i was going 75mph in the rain and it just turned off, wipers stuck in the middle of the windshield and cars all around me. thank God there was a shoulder to pull over on. Honda isnt open on weekends but when i get the chance im gonna talk to them asap to find out if they are willing to replace the ignition switch again. praying that that is really the problem and that they will help me out. i'll keep you guys posted thanks for all the help so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definately sounds more like an ignition switch problem not a main relay.

If you PM me the VIN before 5pm pacific I will run it through IN and see if it has been done or not.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Re: (someone else)

thanks but i already checked and it had been done back in 2002 i believe. i was more hoping since it doesnt seem to be fixed they might be willing to try again? if not do you guys have any idea how much the job would cost at a regular mechanic?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
It Wasn't Me!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dinoniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks but i already checked and it had been done back in 2002 i believe. i was more hoping since it doesnt seem to be fixed they might be willing to try again? if not do you guys have any idea how much the job would cost at a regular mechanic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Labor is .9 of an hour and I can't get my parts guy to answer the phone right now but IIRC the switch itself is under $100.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that I am late on this thread, but even though the recall has been performed already, tell them that the issue is still arising and 9 times out of 10 they will repair it again. The Accords that body style had a problem with the electrical portion of the ignition switch going bad. One of the solders on the switch would just fall off and cause the vehicle to randomly die as it is doing to you.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

R-E-L-A-Y
MAIN
check
Old 07-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

REPLACE YOUR IGNITION SWITCH AGAIN!!!!!! I had to replace mine twice after having similar problems you described. My 98 accord has 171k and I am the original owner. Just replace it again and you will be ok.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:06 AM
It Wasn't Me!

Default Re: (crazykarlnow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazykarlnow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">R-E-L-A-Y
MAIN
check</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go back and read his description of the problem in his first post.

Hint: The big clue is that everything shuts off but the immobilizer light comes on. Main relay doesn't kill the ECU or power to the cluster so you still get lights on the dash like the battery and oil lights when the engine dies.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM

hey guys sry to bump this thread just wanted to post the results. had my ignition switch replaced last week and the car hasnt had any problems starting and hasnt stopped at all. so in conclusion:

problem: ignition switch
Solution: bought switch for $45 from autozone, had it replaced for $50.
total cost: $95.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

next time something like that happens don't drive the car! luckily you didn't hurt anyone or hurt yourself. This happened to me once but it was my first car and I drove it through a 4 foot pool of water. The street was sunkin in. Very dangerous. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gqstatus05)

Get the power steering fluid fixed as well. They sell this solution you can add in the power steering. It has a dye in it and when it leaks you can see where the leak is coming from. They dye will tell you. Look it up. It may just be a hose leaking.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 1999 accord shuts off while driving

Have you ever pumped the black rubber prime boot on a lawn mower, pulled the cord only to have it run for one second before it shuts off? Thats what happens to my '99 Accord (2.3L, 5 speed manual) when I immediately try to start it after it stalls while driving. If I wait 30 seconds before trying to start it again, it will start with no problem. However, it's still disconcerting when you're rolling down the road. When I try to start it, it will run for about one second, which tells me it's firing, before it stalls, as if it was fuel starved. I was wondering if it may be a fuel system venting problem. Yes, there was a recall on the ignition switch but if the problem is with the ignition system then why does it fire and run for a second?

Recall Info:

http://owners.honda.com/
click the "Service & Maintenance " tab on the light blue menu bar near the top of the screen and select the bottom option "Recalls." Enter your VIN # and it will take you where you need to go for recall information.

Current Recalls

Description
1997-1999 Accord, Prelude, CR-V; 1998-2000 Civic; 1997-2000 Odyssey Ignition Switch
Type
Safety Recall Campaign

Summer 2002

Important Safety Recall: Ignition Switch

Dear Accord, Civic, CR-V, Odyssey or Prelude Owner: This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd., has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on certain 1997 thru 2000 Honda automobiles. Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you're at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine (for example, hard-to-start, stalls immediately after starting, etc.) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing.

What should you do?

Call any authorized Honda dealer, and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. The dealer will install an improved ignition switch, free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealership for half a day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you car has not been serviced under the recall notice, then that would be a place to start. Especially since it is now 12 years after the fact.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Trial User

I have 99 Honda Accord and I had my ignition switch replaced under the recall. It has just now started shutting off while driving. Has anyone replaced the switch and had
that correct the problem. The mechanic cleaned the ERG valve and thought that corrected the problem - it did not???
Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I may (1999 Accord LX 4-cyl) also have a bad ignition switch or a main relay. The car died/stalled first time about 6 months ago and it stalled yesterday (hot humid day) as I was turning into residential neighborhood. I stopped the car, put it in park and restarted but the car stalled again within 50 feet. I smelled something burning but I couldn't locate the source or where it was coming from. Had the battery replaced same day (one bad cell and was 5 years old), but haven't had any issue with this vehicle. I don't recall the instrument lights or warning lights going dark when my car stalled while it was on D. I guess I need to wait till it happens again and to make sure instrument lights are on or off. Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 AM
Trial User

My 99 wasnt effected by the recall so what else could it be
Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Trial User

I have a similar problem in my 2001 accord. it has the check engine on because of two codes p1167 and p1166 oxygen sensor, and four days ago started to shut down the engine while driving, that happens around 8-10 minutes after I turn on the engine. I drive to work and always in the same place more or less (2 - 3 miles away from home) the engine die but just the engine, clusters lights came on all of them, the air conditioner fan keep working as well as the radio, then I start the engine again and everything is ok no more problems. Since then all the time in every trip is the same the engine die at that time not before not after. I noted that happens when engine is in low rpm or parked in traffic lights, Can't figure out what is that. maybe main relay problem or ignition switch as yours I don't think the oxygen sensor could do that? can somebody give me a clue
In your case all of the lights go off just the key indicator kept on.