Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1999 Accord LX 4 cyl-auto Starter problem w/terminal B?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Accord LX 4 cyl-auto Starter problem w/terminal B?

I own a 1999 Accord LX (4 cylinder-automatic) and have what I think is an unusual problem with my starter. The plastic housing where the battery cable comes into the starter broke in half. Right now I have wedged a piece of wood against the end of the cable and it is making the connection and the car is starting. Can just this piece be replaced? I may never know how this happened. I have been told it would take an extreme amount of force. I went out of town & left my car at home. A friend of mine (who makes battery cables to earn money on the side) as a favor replaced the end of my battery cables on the battery end because they were loose and corroded. He says he did not do anything to the end where it goes into the starter. He did replace my negative cables because one was stretched too far when he had to redo the ends. When he tried to start my car, it was clicking. He pulled the rubber cover back from the cable end at the starter and says the plastic piece was loose and just fell off. I'm having a hard time believing this is a coincidence. But I've also known him a very long time. And he's an honest guy. At any rate, he was doing me a favor. So even if he accidentally broke it off, I would understand. I just wish I knew! I'm just having a hard time accepting the cost of a new or remanufactured starter when it's just this connection that is the issue. Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you. Picture included of the piece broken in half.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1999 Accord LX 4 cyl-auto Starter problem w/terminal B?

Originally Posted by Eliza68
I own a 1999 Accord LX (4 cylinder-automatic) and have what I think is an unusual problem with my starter. The plastic housing where the battery cable comes into the starter broke in half. Right now I have wedged a piece of wood against the end of the cable and it is making the connection and the car is starting. Can just this piece be replaced? I may never know how this happened. I have been told it would take an extreme amount of force. I went out of town & left my car at home. A friend of mine (who makes battery cables to earn money on the side) as a favor replaced the end of my battery cables on the battery end because they were loose and corroded. He says he did not do anything to the end where it goes into the starter. He did replace my negative cables because one was stretched too far when he had to redo the ends. When he tried to start my car, it was clicking. He pulled the rubber cover back from the cable end at the starter and says the plastic piece was loose and just fell off. I'm having a hard time believing this is a coincidence. But I've also known him a very long time. And he's an honest guy. At any rate, he was doing me a favor. So even if he accidentally broke it off, I would understand. I just wish I knew! I'm just having a hard time accepting the cost of a new or remanufactured starter when it's just this connection that is the issue. Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you. Picture included of the piece broken in half.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?
remove starter. epoxy glue
Old 06-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Accord LX 4 cyl-auto Starter problem w/terminal B?

We thought of that. And actually tried it with some JB Weld glue I had. But it didn't hold. I can try some epoxy though. Thank you!