Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Honda Accord is driving me crazy!HELP-

Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Honda Accord is driving me crazy!HELP-

This is for my Honda Accord year 98. My wife was cleaning the inside of the car vacuming under the stearing wheel. When out of no where she said there was a spark in that area under by where the pettles are and all the wiring for pretty much everything is. No the car will not do anything besides the head lights turn on and when you put the key into the ignition it peeps. The car is stick. Yes I have checked all fuses and relays on both sides of the car doors and in the engine compartment. I have taken the driver seat out and the panel that is covering all the wires under the stearing wheel. I have been looking for some type of burnt wire of some sort but I can't seem to find it. It does have a Security system in it in that same area that she saw a spark and it is designed to cut the engine when it is activated but im pretty postive that is not the reason. I have removed the alarm system computer box and connected it back but yet nothing.

So in sum. ALL FUSES ARE GOOD ALL RELAYS ARE GOOD. When i place the key in the ignition all that happens is i get beeping. ANY IDEAS IM STUMPED.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord is driving me crazy!HELP-

This is what I would do if it was me, spray a mist of water under there and see if it'll start sparking when the key is on??

I won't recommend you to do this in case of a fire and I will not held responsible for your action. Just a thought of what I would do.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess is that something around the ignition switch has been fried. but if you have already checked it i guess not.
if you have a manual, you would need to press the clutch to start it, so maybe a switch or contact down there has come undone. but if that was it you should be able to work the windows and radio...
hope that helps?
ps pedal**
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
This is what I would do if it was me, spray a mist of water under there and see if it'll start sparking when the key is on??

I won't recommend you to do this in case of a fire and I will not held responsible for your action. Just a thought of what I would do.

That sounds like a risky good idea. I would leave that as a last resort.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be as simple as the clutch switch got ripped out. It detects whether or not the clutch is pressed in and allows you to start the car - it is the reason you cannot install a remote start without bypassing this switch. It is located up on the arm of the clutch pedal.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Could be as simple as the clutch switch got ripped out. It detects whether or not the clutch is pressed in and allows you to start the car - it is the reason you cannot install a remote start without bypassing this switch. It is located up on the arm of the clutch pedal.
Would this also cause the car to have no power to the gauges when inserting the key (just beeping) and the "spark" she saw? and what does this switch look like? I have a idea once i get home i will see and give a update.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xsxnosxsx
Would this also cause the car to have no power to the gauges when inserting the key (just beeping) and the "spark" she saw? and what does this switch look like? I have a idea once i get home i will see and give a update.
No it wouldn't. If all the accessories, lights, etc worked when you turn the key to the accessory position and it beeped then it could be as simple as the clutch switch. If nothing is really working then it could be the ignition switch but I don't know what she would snag/hit/see spark down there really.

Getting a picture of the area the spark occurred would definitely help.

The clutch switch, IIRC is just a small plunger that sits on the pedal's arm. When you push the pedal you release the plunger and it gives the car an "ok" to start up.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to be more descriptive. You have stated that when you insert the key into the ignition cylinder you can hear a beep.

Are you turning the key to the 'ON' position? What happens when you turn the key to the 'ON' position? What happens when you turn the key to the 'START' position?

Technicians cannot be left to assume anything about your situation. You need to provide every bit of information and be as specific as possible.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you even have a manual transmission?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by specialone70
do you even have a manual transmission?
Yes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
You need to be more descriptive. You have stated that when you insert the key into the ignition cylinder you can hear a beep.

Are you turning the key to the 'ON' position? What happens when you turn the key to the 'ON' position? What happens when you turn the key to the 'START' position?

Technicians cannot be left to assume anything about your situation. You need to provide every bit of information and be as specific as possible.
Ok this is my attempt in being more descriptive.
When I insert the key into the ignition cylinder it beeps. I give it one clock wise click and usally at this point a fully working car would have all the gauges turn on, one more clock wise click would cause the engine to kick and start.

Now in my case all it does is beeps. NOTHING els. It is a manule transmition and if I saw where the spark came from I would more then likely not be bothering everyone here. Later today i will comply with the request of the photos to have you all (the readers/techs) possibly see something that I might have over looked.

Over View of Areas that I have inspected for possible faults.
-Clutch Peddle and all accessories connected. (Looks good and I believe i would of saw something wrong/broken b/c I had this problem with my Honda Civic EX 95 and corrected it. Will take photos.)
-All Fuses and Relays. (They are all good.)
-Electrical wires under steering wheel. (There is alot of wires and I have yet to see one that looks burnt, cut or ripped. Will take photos.)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since the problem is observed when turning the key to the 'ON' or 'START' position I would perform a voltage drop on the ignition switch. With the results of that test I would then either replace the faulty ignition switch or continue to trace the problem.

At this point, I would not concentrate on the fact that you saw a spark. You've already looked and haven't found anything obvious. It's time to break out the multimeter and diagnose the symptom. Start at the ignition switch.

I'd provide an electrical schematic for the system but I have two problems; I'm not at work so I don't have access to my factory ETM's and my factory ETM's are protected by copyrights.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since the problem is observed when turning the key to the 'ON' or 'START' position I would perform a voltage drop on the ignition switch. With the results of that test I would then either replace the faulty ignition switch or continue to trace the problem.

At this point, I would not concentrate on the fact that you saw a spark. You've already looked and haven't found anything obvious. It's time to break out the multimeter and diagnose the symptom. Start at the ignition switch.

I'd provide an electrical schematic for the system but I have two problems; I'm not at work so I don't have access to my factory ETM's and my factory ETM's are protected by copyrights.

I don't know how to check the ignition switch, im guessing that is the starter. Is there a location that you can give me that I can look this up? Some instruction? Would greatly help. and the tools i would need.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn it, the ignition lock cylinder turns the ignition switch, which is attached to the back end of the ignition lock cylinder, through a mechanical connection.

Since, when you turn the key, nothing lights up in the guage cluster, I would start by inspecting voltage going to and leaving the igniton switch since the ignition switch signal is what causes everything to light up.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn it, the ignition lock cylinder turns the ignition switch, which is attached to the back end of the ignition lock cylinder, through a mechanical connection.

Since, when you turn the key, nothing lights up in the guage cluster, I would start by inspecting voltage going to and leaving the igniton switch since the ignition switch signal is what causes everything to light up.
Where do I check the Voltage for this? And what tool do I need for checking the voltage?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u would need a multimeter. usually looks something like this: http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/...multimeter.jpg