Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1998 Honda Accord Brake Problems. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Honda Accord Brake Problems. Need Help.

I just changed my front brake pads and then when I tried to test them by stepping on the brake pedal, the pedal went all the way down to the floor. I thought it would go away but it kept doing it. When the car is off, I pump the brakes and they get stiff and hard to press. But when I turn on the engine, it sinks down to the floor again. Before I changed the brake pads, the brakes felt normal and did not sink to the floor so I am not sure if it is a broken master cylinder, air in the lines, or if I just need to bleed the brakes. Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: 1998 Honda Accord Brake Problems. Need Help. (flipmodemvp)

did you loosen the bleeder screw on the caliper when you did this job? because if you did then there is air in the brake lines and you need to bleed them...If i were you I would bleed the brakes and see if that fixes your problem..if itdoesnt then you have a bad MC...do u know how to bleed the brakes?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: 1998 Honda Accord Brake Problems. Need Help.

I did loosen the bleeder screw on the caliper so that is probably the problem. I have the hayes hand book to guide me and I'm going to have a friend help me but other than that not really. Do you have any pointers or suggestions? I really appreciate your help.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM

Can you also tell me approximately how long it takes to bleed the brakes?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:20 PM

ok well theres ur problem..when you loosened the bleeder screw air got into the system..you may be able to bleed just that one caliper and be good to go..but if ur looking to go ahead and bleed all 4 caliper which is a good idea here are some pointers...you need a tube to put on the bleeder screw..I believe its a 10mm if im not mistaken..put a 10mm wrench on..the closed end not open end..then put the tube over it...get a cup and put some brake fluid it in and hold the other end of the clear tube in the fluid..have ur friend sit in the car and pump the brake pedal until it is tight and then hold it in...when he holds it in..loosen the bleeder screw and when the brake pedal goes back to the floor tighten the bleeder screw...you may want to do this a few times on each caliper just to make sure all air bubbles are out..if your wanting to do a complete flush youll want to do it at least a dozen times on each side..same applys for all calipers..also when you do this have ur brake resevoir cap off because you will need to refill frequently...the order in which to do this is drivers side front, passengers side front, passengers side rear, drivers side rear..unless of course you only want to bleed the 2 calipers you loosened the bleeder screw on..good luck..hope this helps
Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: 1998 Honda Accord Brake Problems. Need Help. (lowered94accord)

well if you only bleed the front two calipers which are the ones you opened the bleeder screw on...about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much you have to bleed out..if you do all 4..about an hour and a half maybe 2 hours
Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: 1998 Honda Accord Brake Problems. Need Help. (lowered94accord)

THank you so much. I'll try it out as soon as I can and post it once i'm done. Hopefully next saturday. Thanks again!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:34 PM

anytime man...let me know how things go...your brakes should be as tight as can be once your done! also your MC should be fine as long as the air in the system didnt damage it..which im sure it didnt...good luck