Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1998 accord timing and balance shaft setting.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 accord timing and balance shaft setting.

I'm performing a simple oil leak fix from the rear (exhaust side balance shaft) do they have to be phased into timing ? How is it done?

I'm asking this because Mitsubishi's have a similar setup.

The vehicle is a 98 EX F23 VTEC.

Last edited by MidShipCivic; 01-16-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: left a word out
Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998 accord timing and balance shaft setting.

Originally Posted by MidShipCivic
I'm performing a simple oil leak from the rear (exhaust side balance shaft) do they have to be phased into timing ? How is it done?

I'm asking this because Mitsubishi's have a similar setup.

The vehicle is a 98 EX F23 Vtec.
are you replacing the front oil seal on the balance shaft?..If so yes it has to be phased into timing, although it is a simple task to do so. All you have to do is remove the 12mm bolt from the block near the oil filter, stick a screwdriver into the hole and rotate the balance shaft sprocket until the screwdriver "clicks" into place and install the belt. reinstall the bolt and you are good to go

Last edited by shadydb7; 01-17-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shadydb7
are you replacing the front oil seal on the balance shaft?..If so yes it has to be phased into timing, although it is a simple task to do so. All you have to do is remove the 12mm bolt from the block near the oil filter, stick a screwdriver into the hole and rotate the balance shaft sprocket until the srewdriver "clicks" into place and install the belt. reinstall the bolt and you are good to go
Yeah I'm fixing an oil leak and thanks the screw driver worked perfect .
Old 01-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MidShipCivic
Yeah I'm fixing an oil leak and thanks the screw driver worked perfect .
sounds good to me.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you replacing the front oil seal on the balance shaft?..If so yes it has to be phased into timing, although it is a simple task to do so. All you have to do is remove the 12mm bolt from the block near the oil filter, stick a screwdriver into the hole and rotate the balance shaft sprocket until the screwdriver "clicks" into place and install the belt. reinstall the bolt and you are good to go
Didn't you mean rotate the crankshaft until the screwdriver "clicks" into place, then remove and replace the balance shaft belt? If you rotate the balance shaft sprocket by itself, it will move separate of the timing and not with the timing.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4671 Hybird
Didn't you mean rotate the crankshaft until the screwdriver "clicks" into place, then remove and replace the balance shaft belt? If you rotate the balance shaft sprocket by itself, it will move separate of the timing and not with the timing.
No. all f series and h series motors have 2 seperate belts, 1 is the main timing belt and the other is the balance shaft belt. The actual procedure goes like this. Rotate the crankshaft until the crankshaft pulley timing marks line up with the markings on the block and also when the camshaft sprocket reads "up". now you can remove the crank pulley and remove the main timing belt. as far as the balance shaft belt is concerned you would follow the procedure i listed above. The only thing i left out was how to align the sprocket on the left side (the exhaust manifold side). For that you simply have to make sure that the timing mark etched onto the sprocket is in the 9 oclock position. Truthfully the only side effect that you will feel if the balance shafts are not aligned properly is when you take off on acceleration your engine will shudder like a bag of marbles..

the method you listed will only work if the balance shaft belt is still on the motor and assuming that the alignment was correct to begin with. Otherwise in a situation where the belt is already off the sprocket and then the sprocket was turned accidentaly you would have to follow my procedure in order to realign it properly
Old 01-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's exactly what I'm saying, that you have to rotate the crankshaft until it lines up the timing marks (assuming the timing belt is still on), and then check to make sure the balance shaft belt marks are lined up, and then stick the screwdriver in place. The screwdriver fits into an indentation and keeps the rear balance shaft sprocket from turning. The front sprocket is fairly easy to align because it has the huge notch in it.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No. all f series and h series motors have 2 seperate belts, 1 is the main timing belt and the other is the balance shaft belt. The actual procedure goes like this. Rotate the crankshaft until the crankshaft pulley timing marks line up with the markings on the block and also when the camshaft sprocket reads "up". now you can remove the crank pulley and remove the main timing belt.
Why are you removing the main timing belt to put on a balance shaft belt? The timing belt goes on first, and then the balance shaft belt.

OP, do you understand the correct procedure? If all belts are off, here it is step by step.

1)Install timing belt and correctly set timing with #1 at TDC
2)Align rear balance shaft sprocket by removing set screw (bolt on back of engine), inserting a screwdriver or other object, and rotate sprocket until screwdriver "clicks" into place.
3)Align front balance shaft sprocket by lining the indentation on the shaft with the arrow/marker on the block.
4)Insert balance shaft belt making sure that when the slack takes up, the marks are still aligned.
5)Remove screwdriver and reinstall set screw.
6)Make sure the belt is correctly tensioned.

If the timing belt has stayed on throughout, just modify step one and only rotate the engine so that #1 is at TDC.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was a moron and kept playing with my rear balancer and just aligned both marks pointing to the front and put everything back on

the whole car vibrated a lot and when revved sounded like a pissed off sewing machine

that process is simple enough thanks 4671 hybrid, i'll try it later

hooray i get to try again

not gonna drive the car all vibratey