Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1998-2002, ecu fuse located?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998-2002, ecu fuse located?

Anyone know where the ecu fuse for a 1998 Accord DX is located?

Checked fuse box under the hood, driver side and passenger side...can't find.

Car won't start (no spark) check engine light won't light up for 2 seconds when the ignition light is set to ON.

To save everyone time, I've already checked the following...

1. compression is okay
2. battery is okay
3. main relay is okay (got the clicks and did continuity tests)
4. ignition coil is new
5. grounds are good
6. distributor is new

At this point i'm troubleshooting power to the ECU. Want to see if there's a standalone ecu fuse before I start messing with the ecu itself.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998-2002, ecu fuse located?

Nevermind. Problem solved.

PROBLEM:
Car wouldn't start but would crank
Radio turned on just fine
No spark coming from all 4 spark plugs
Did all all the usual checks and tests(see post #1)
When I turned the ignition to [ON]:
a. I could hear the main relay click. (relay was good but I pulled out and tested it anyways)
b. Did not hear the fuel pump (also I couldn't smell the gas when the spark plus were out while cranking the car)
c. Check engine light (cel) *****DID NOT***** light up for 2 seconds then disappear.

SOLUTION:
15a fuse for [ACG S] located in fuse box under the hood was blown.
Replaced 15a fuse, all problems solved.

CAUSE:
I was too cheap to buy an OBDII scanner so I messed up when attempting to jump a connection using a piece of wire to try and count the CEL blinks.

FAIL on my part. Hope this information helps others.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998-2002, ecu fuse located?

This is the same exact symptoms of my 2001 honda accord LX V6 that doesn't start but cranks. I've replaced fuel pump, main relay, crank sensor shaft, and installed a brand new battery. And it still wouldn't start. Although it would sometimes start up and ride excellent after many times of turning the key. But I couldn't turn the car off or it wouldn't restart. In your opinion do you think I have a brown fuse such as you did?
Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Trial User

Default This is great, happened exactly to me, and fixed my car

Your post is right spot on my car's problem. When starting, no spark, just cranking.
Though it was ignition system problem, follow Eric the car guy's youtube video, found no spark at ignition coil. use test light to check ignition coil's negative and positive node to have flash, seems it flash a little bit, not sure about it. bought some after market parts from ebay to replace mail relay, ignition coil, ignition control modular (igniter), all doesn't work.
Finally read your post and noticed the check engine light DID NOT come on when I turn the key (should be on for 2 second and off), neither the green key night on. Realize there is no signal/power sent to ECU. follow your instruction to locate 15A fuse under hood , it is broken! There was even an spare fuse in that fuse box for 15A, Totally 3 of 15A, 2 in use, one spare, after replace the broken one with the spare, the check engine light and key light right come back. Nice. and install back my original ignition parts, car started right up.
My car's mail relay did broke before, so this time I play around again to remove it and solder some suspicious point, when I put it back I didn't insert it into plastic house when trying, it dangled and touch some metal, I saw some sparks, guess that is how the fuse got melt.