Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Who can figure this out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can figure this out?

I have a 98 accord 4-cyl. automatic transmission with 180k miles. I am the original owner and have babied this car. Here is the situation:

While driving about 45 mph I suddenly feel a slight jerk and I immediately see the D4 light on the dash disappear. If I continue accelerating the light comes back on and everything seems normal. This has happened only twice in two weeks. This has never happened before. I change my transmission fluid every 25k with Honda fluid for the entire 180k miles on the car. I cannot predict nor cause this to happen. This is really weird. This car contiues to drive beuatiful except for this observation. Can anybody help? All responses appreciated.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Who can figure this out?

well.. could be completley wrong, but from what your saying it seems as though your trans is slipping out of gear due to bad synchros.. but the dash light disapearing? no clue as to why that would happen.. ecu maybe not knowing what to do when the trans slips? does the N light up at all?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM

A blinking D4 light usually means that the tranny is going.

See if you can pull the code.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvis1977
I have a 98 accord 4-cyl. automatic transmission with 180k miles. I am the original owner and have babied this car. Here is the situation:

While driving about 45 mph I suddenly feel a slight jerk and I immediately see the D4 light on the dash disappear. If I continue accelerating the light comes back on and everything seems normal. This has happened only twice in two weeks. This has never happened before. I change my transmission fluid every 25k with Honda fluid for the entire 180k miles on the car. I cannot predict nor cause this to happen. This is really weird. This car contiues to drive beuatiful except for this observation. Can anybody help? All responses appreciated.
As mentioned elsewhere, see if you can pull the code from the PCM.
You don't want to start throwing money b4 knowing what's going on. Honda (in their infinite wisdom) decided for the 1998 model year to incorporate the TCM (Transmission Control Module) with the ECM (Engine Control Module). This made it doubly difficult trying to assertain what's going on.
To confuse things even more, the intergrated TCM now displays DTC's thru the "Check Engine" lamp; doing away with the Flashing D4 we've been most comfortable with.
See if the PCM has a DTC stored in memory.
We'll start there

P
Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I can put the trasmission in neutral and it does light up. The check engine light did not light up. Th D4 light does not flash. It simply diasppears and seconds later appears while driving. Could an engine misfire cause this? Spark plugs, cap, button, are in good condition.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P_Adams
As mentioned elsewhere, see if you can pull the code from the PCM.
You don't want to start throwing money b4 knowing what's going on. Honda (in their infinite wisdom) decided for the 1998 model year to incorporate the TCM (Transmission Control Module) with the ECM (Engine Control Module). This made it doubly difficult trying to assertain what's going on.
To confuse things even more, the intergrated TCM now displays DTC's thru the "Check Engine" lamp; doing away with the Flashing D4 we've been most comfortable with.
See if the PCM has a DTC stored in memory.
We'll start there

P

Thanks for trying to help me. I jumped #8 And #13 on the connector to get a PCM code even though my check engine light did NOT light up at all. No code was registered on the PCM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for trying to help me. I jumped #8 And #13 on the connector to get a PCM code even though my check engine light did NOT light up at all. No code was registered on the PCM.
By there being no codes, we could assume that whatever is happening may not be Powertrain Electronics.
Next time you get in the car, turn the key to the position whereas the quadrant indicator (PRND4 D3 ect) lights up. Take the shifter handle and place it in the D4 position. Wiggle the handle forewards and backwards (within the D4 range) and observe the dash indicator. If it blinks occasionally, you may have a bad position switch (Transmission mounted) which not only signals the PCM what gear you're in, but drives the dash display as well. I would also check the sensor's connectors and wiring, they could be damaged.
Refer # 18 in the supplied link page.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgr y2=2000&catcgry3=2DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=AT ++++++RIGHT+SIDE+COVER

P
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

By there being no codes, we could assume that whatever is happening may not be Powertrain Electronics.
Next time you get in the car, turn the key to the position whereas the quadrant indicator (PRND4 D3 ect) lights up. Take the shifter handle and place it in the D4 position. Wiggle the handle forewards and backwards (within the D4 range) and observe the dash indicator. If it blinks occasionally, you may have a bad position switch (Transmission mounted) which not only signals the PCM what gear you're in, but drives the dash display as well. I would also check the sensor's connectors and wiring, they could be damaged.
Refer # 18 in the supplied link page.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgr y2=2000&catcgry3=2DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=AT ++++++RIGHT+SIDE+COVER

P
Thanks for your feedback. I did as you requested and I see no D4 blinking when I wiggle the handle while in the D4 position. What's next. Like I said the transmission shifts excellent and this problem has only occured twice. It is impossible to reproduce.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your feedback. I did as you requested and I see no D4 blinking when I wiggle the handle while in the D4 position. What's next. Like I said the transmission shifts excellent and this problem has only occured twice. It is impossible to reproduce.
...and that's where the rub occures; when you can't reproduce it.
At this point in the discussion, I'd venture to say it's a loose / intermittant connection between the position switch and the indicator lamp.

I'd hesitate suggesting poking around indiscriminately; you've obviously got a good 6th gen Automatic, you should consider yourself lucky and I wouldn't recommend 'poking the dog' (so to speak).

I would suggest continued driving with an eye on observing any other clues when this happens, such as:
during the 2-3 shift
during the 3-4 shift
during torque converter lock-up
you get the idea

P
Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...and that's where the rub occures; when you can't reproduce it.
At this point in the discussion, I'd venture to say it's a loose / intermittant connection between the position switch and the indicator lamp.

I'd hesitate suggesting poking around indiscriminately; you've obviously got a good 6th gen Automatic, you should consider yourself lucky and I wouldn't recommend 'poking the dog' (so to speak).

I would suggest continued driving with an eye on observing any other clues when this happens, such as:
during the 2-3 shift
during the 3-4 shift
during torque converter lock-up
you get the idea

P
Yeah, I think your right. I will keep an eye on it. I remember for sure that I was traveling at least 40mph when it happened both times. The first time I was on the freeway and when the D4 light disappeared along with a slight jerk, I immediately placed the car in Neutral and back into D4 and the car was immediately running ok. The second time it happened I just let it go for a few seconds and the D4 light came back on. Two weeks elapsed between both occurances. Thanks for your kind responses.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Yeah, I think your right. I will keep an eye on it. I remember for sure that I was traveling at least 40mph when it happened both times. The first time I was on the freeway and when the D4 light disappeared along with a slight jerk, I immediately placed the car in Neutral and back into D4 and the car was immediately running ok. The second time it happened I just let it go for a few seconds and the D4 light came back on. Two weeks elapsed between both occurances. Thanks for your kind responses.
when i first got my car every once in a while my entire dash would flicker out and the speedo would drop to 0 for a 1/4 of a second.. it only happenned two or three times but hasnt happened at all since then. sometimes the anomalies are better left untouched unless they make the car un driveable or happen on a daily basis.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 PM

I also somewhat have the same problem as Elvis1977 except it happens when i try to put my car in reverse. Change gears from park to reverse the car shakes then when i look at the dash the reverse highlight does not show is it the same complications as Elvis 1977 or something total different and hopefully repairable. Furthermore my car drives fine in in D4 and the gears dont feel like they are slipping and changing roughly and I almost forgot if I let the car idol for ten minutes or more the reverse problem doesnt show, ohh yea and it a different tranny had to replace it because the old one was no good...please help
Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 20026thGenCG3
I also somewhat have the same problem as Elvis1977 except it happens when i try to put my car in reverse. Change gears from park to reverse the car shakes then when i look at the dash the reverse highlight does not show is it the same complications as Elvis 1977 or something total different and hopefully repairable. Furthermore my car drives fine in in D4 and the gears dont feel like they are slipping and changing roughly and I almost forgot if I let the car idol for ten minutes or more the reverse problem doesnt show, ohh yea and it a different tranny had to replace it because the old one was no good...please help
This may go back to the selector position switch as well.
They acted crazy enough in 5th gens (lying about selector position) with it mounted within the shift console (nice and protected), but Honda (in it's infinite wisdom) decides to put it on the tranny case for the 6th gens (out in the elements). Great!
With the 6th gen tranny being 'electronic' more than ever, there's no telling what wonderful issue combinations you could have with a position switch reporting position D4 when it's really in R.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowBar
when i first got my car every once in a while my entire dash would flicker out and the speedo would drop to 0 for a 1/4 of a second.. it only happenned two or three times but hasnt happened at all since then. sometimes the anomalies are better left untouched unless they make the car un driveable or happen on a daily basis.
I am having this same problem, but unlike Shadowbar it is happening all the time.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this problem occured again today. Eight months passed and 7 thousand miles later (187k) the slight jerk and D4 light dissappeared while traveling 45 miles per hour on the freeway this morning. I quickly put it in Neutral and back into D4 while driving and everything is running perfect again. What the h*** is going on here? No check engine light.

This problem reoccured after 8 months and 7 thousand miles of beautiful driving and no problems.

This is very hard to reproduce and very strange.

All responses appreciated.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the Range Switch on the end of the transmission. Problem too intermittent to diagnose. I'd throw a part at it.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
Replace the Range Switch on the end of the transmission. Problem too intermittent to diagnose. I'd throw a part at it.
Yeh its too hard to diagnose. Your guess of a range switch (Gear Position switch) is a good one, but I have never heard of anyone ever having to replace one on a Honda or any other car. You would think the switch would go the lifetime of the car. Have you ever had to replace one?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh its too hard to diagnose. Your guess of a range switch (Gear Position switch) is a good one, but I have never heard of anyone ever having to replace one on a Honda or any other car. You would think the switch would go the lifetime of the car. Have you ever had to replace one?
Yes. They are on the outside of the trans, exposed to the elements. I have replaced a few.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it happened again yesterday. Two months later and about 3,000 miles later the same problem occured again. While driving about 45 mph, a sudden jerk and the D4 light went off. This time I just accelerated and everything went back to normal. Is this problem the gear position switch? If it is then why didn't the check engine light come on (P1705 = gear position short code)? I have 189k miles and the tranmission drives great except this problem. Please advise me.
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may go back to the selector position switch as well.
They acted crazy enough in 5th gens (lying about selector position) with it mounted within the shift console (nice and protected), but Honda (in it's infinite wisdom) decides to put it on the tranny case for the 6th gens (out in the elements). Great!
With the 6th gen tranny being 'electronic' more than ever, there's no telling what wonderful issue combinations you could have with a position switch reporting position D4 when it's really in R.

doesn't that toss a wrong gear selected code?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP check your grounds maybe one is loose?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks as if the time interval between occurences is dissappearing. It may not throw a code because it resolves itself immediately. When was the last time you've had the ecm checked for codes? Some codes do not register a Check Engine Light on the panel. Like P adams has stated before, until the problem can be reproduced you're likely to cause more harm than good in tracking it down. Especially since the car acts beautifully otherwise.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No codes registered on the computer. All ground wires tight and secure.

Any other suggestions?