Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1997 Honda Accord LX 2.2L 4 cylinder problems (misfiring)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Honda Accord LX 2.2L 4 cylinder problems (misfiring)

today my car check engine light came on and started running really badly. the check engine light was even flashing. i went to o Reillys to check the code and it was the code P0304 which is the 4th cylinder misfiring.

whats weird is it was driving fine all day until i parked it for 20 minutes and started it again. it was sitting in the sun which makes me think maybe it was too hot but im not sure. i also did my oil change the day before. i may have put in too much oil... but could this cause my car to misfire?

it idles very rough. sometimes it will die. it runs very ruggish and obvious loss of power. this all started today.

i have replaced my spark plugs recently. i checked inside the plugs and there was no oil inside of them. i recently noticed a problem with my ignition though. when i turn the key to on (II) sometimes the lights on the dash and stuff would not turn on. and it would rarely die in the past as i drive as well. it would then instantly turn back on though. this makes me think my ignition coil could be the problem. or something within the ignition.

my last thought is something in the fuel system. but im not sure what in it. i checked the injectors and there was no leaking or problem. only thing i can think of needing replacing is my fuel filter.

i have no idea. does anyone have any clue what it could be? or what i should do to find out the problem.

i hope its not too serious. i just want to get it fixed as soon as i can. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:00 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 1997 Honda Accord LX 2.2L 4 cylinder problems (misfiring)

If the plugs are properly gaped and installed correctly;
Verify the oil is not overfull. Too much oil is as bad as not enough.
Swap the plug with another cylinder, if the misfire stays its the cylinder, if it moves with the plug its the plug.
Verify the plug wire is not damaged or grounding out.
Verify compression with a gauge in the cylinders.
Verify the valves have been checked/adjusted correctly(too tight of a valve will cause loss of compression and a misfire.)
Verify the battery is fully charged.
Verify the battery connections are clean and tight.
Verify the ground and bonding jumpers are clean and tight.
Verify your ignition switch is not worn or faulty, common problem on older Accords which can lead to odd electrical behavior and power outage.