Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

EGR .. True meaning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR .. True meaning?

What does an egr valve do? What should I expect out of a replacing an EGR valve + Gasket? Plz and thanks! I kinda know, but Id rather not spoil responses.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: EGR .. True meaning?

Originally Posted by H22_CB7_JAY
What does an egr valve do?
Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It recirculates exhaust gases into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temps at cruise speeds to lower NOx emissions.
What should I expect out of a replacing an EGR valve + Gasket?
If there is nothing wrong with the EGR valve itself, then nothing. The common issue is the ports in the intake manifold become clogged with carbon and soot. This impedes or stops flow of recirculated exhaust gases. If your current valve operates normally but you still have slight bucking at part throttle cruise, or high NOx emissions then most likely there is blockage in the EGR ports.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didnt 88-00 Civics come with an EGR valve? Not including the Hx.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It recirculates exhaust gases into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temps at cruise speeds to lower NOx emissions.
If there is nothing wrong with the EGR valve itself, then nothing. The common issue is the ports in the intake manifold become clogged with carbon and soot. This impedes or stops flow of recirculated exhaust gases. If your current valve operates normally but you still have slight bucking at part throttle cruise, or high NOx emissions then most likely there is blockage in the EGR ports.
Thank you sir for the very informative post, I appreciate it.

Now, I did notice that the port holes have been tampered with, and.. The EGR valve I took off REALLY was not that bad.. I do have the bucking at slight throttle. It looks to me like the port holes have been tapped out and jb welded back in. Should I consider getting in there? Or should I assume the EGR valve (old one) would be as clean (Some carbon, I expected more) as the ports?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by Arthas
Why didnt 88-00 Civics come with an EGR valve? Not including the Hx.
Some engines didn't come with EGR. Certain Mazda engines did not come with EGR. If for their given size/class the engine and catalyst can meet the emissions standard then it is not needed.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
MM Gruppe B

It looks to me like the port holes have been tapped out and jb welded back in.
OOMPF!
I hope they were not JB welded back into place, that would suck.
Should I consider getting in there? Or should I assume the EGR valve (old one) would be as clean (Some carbon, I expected more) as the ports?
If the intake manifold egr ports were not properly cleaned then they could still be hampered by carbon and soot.
I would recommend removing the plugs, making sure that the ports are clean not just underneath the plugs, but that the passage from the EGR valve down through the intake manifold is also free and clear of debris. Same with the feed passage from the exhaust side. Engine cleaning brushes can be purchased for rebuilds. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...ng%20kit&dds=1
I have MGR-5189. I have used this kit so many times on cleaning EGR passages it's not even funny.

In the FAQ look up this http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf The F series used in CBs you can purchase a new plug kit for the removable plugs on 90-93 cars is Honda P/N 17199-PT3-AHM.

If you have a H22 I am not sure how the EGR system is serviced.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an H22A Full motor and tranny swap.. I have some f series parts still on the car like power steering, n others. What other way could they have closed the port holes? It looks like some kinda putty that hardened inside after they let it sit?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
MM Gruppe B

I have an H22A Full motor and tranny swap.. I have some f series parts still on the car like power steering, n others. What other way could they have closed the port holes? It looks like some kinda putty that hardened inside after they let it sit?
Crikey. That may be a(the) problem then. If they used JB weld or some other form of goo to seal off those ports, they may have inadvertently sealed off the EGR ports altogether. So rather than needing to clean out the EGR ports of carbon/soot, you will need to verify that it is clear of hardened goo.

Look around for pictures, or ask fellow members, of umolested H22 intakes. See if the EGR plugs are like the 90-93 F22s.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The egr plugs are still the F series connectors, aswell as the EGR valve. Should I try to tap it out gently? Or should I consider replacing it, Honestly I think this is the culprit for my insanely odd idle.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
MM Gruppe B

The egr plugs are still the F series connectors, aswell as the EGR valve. Should I try to tap it out gently? Or should I consider replacing it, Honestly I think this is the culprit for my insanely odd idle.
I would pull the plugs first, and verify that the ports are not plugged in some odd way, and that the carbon/soot was properly cleaned out. If the plugs appear to be the same as the F22s, pick up the plug kit 17199-PT3-AHM.

The only way that the EGR system would mess with idle is if the EGR valve does not properly seal when in the closed position, allowing exhaust gasses to enter the manifold unmetered. Or the crap goo job that was done may be leaking allowing a vacuum/false air leak. Or a combination of both.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some engines didn't come with EGR. Certain Mazda engines did not come with EGR. If for their given size/class the engine and catalyst can meet the emissions standard then it is not needed.
That makes sense. I always found it odd since almost any other engine from that era had an EGR valve.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

on h22s i drill the spots out for the clean out ports, then thread them and put 6mm bolts in there so i can unbolt it all next time it needs to be cleaned.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
on h22s i drill the spots out for the clean out ports, then thread them and put 6mm bolts in there so i can unbolt it all next time it needs to be cleaned.
Nice, Im gonna do this today.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you guys have to pass emissions (DEQ), i would just blockoff the egr. on my h22 its blocked off. you can find the blockoff plates on ebay or my favorite Rosko Racing. dont worry it dosent throw a code
Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Naw, I gotta go for emission testing.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: EGR .. True meaning?

OOMPF!
I hope they were not JB welded back into place, that would suck.

If the intake manifold egr ports were not properly cleaned then they could still be hampered by carbon and soot.
I would recommend removing the plugs, making sure that the ports are clean not just underneath the plugs, but that the passage from the EGR valve down through the intake manifold is also free and clear of debris. Same with the feed passage from the exhaust side. Engine cleaning brushes can be purchased for rebuilds. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...ng%20kit&dds=1
I have MGR-5189. I have used this kit so many times on cleaning EGR passages it's not even funny.

In the FAQ look up this http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf The F series used in CBs you can purchase a new plug kit for the removable plugs on 90-93 cars is Honda P/N 17199-PT3-AHM.

If you have a H22 I am not sure how the EGR system is serviced.
Hey Mike,
Which size brush from that kit do you use for the EGR runners? I have this kit from Harbor Freight and wonder which one might work the same. http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...set-90631.html
I also wonder if this kit would work also. http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...kit-95947.html
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by Bad_dude
Hey Mike,
Which size brush from that kit do you use for the EGR runners? I have this kit from Harbor Freight and wonder which one might work the same. http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...set-90631.html
I also wonder if this kit would work also. http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...kit-95947.html
Thanks.
Stick with a nylon kit. The steel/brass kit would be bad if a bristle broke off and was ingested into the engine.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On my daughter's car the passage under the EGR valve is blocked. Does this crud stand the chance to block the oil pick up screen.

How long do the brushes need to be?

I am guessing that removing the oil pan would be the thing to do?

Thanks,
Tortis

This is on a 99 Accord 4 cyl.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: EGR .. True meaning?

Stick with a nylon kit. The steel/brass kit would be bad if a bristle broke off and was ingested into the engine.
So what size brush and how long of the one you use?
Thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by tortis
Does this crud stand the chance to block the oil pick up screen.
No. Unless you remove it from the EGR passages and add it to the oil.
How long do the brushes need to be?
Long enough to comfortably use.
I am guessing that removing the oil pan would be the thing to do?
Huh? The EGR passages are from the exhaust to the egr valve to the intake. No oil pan or passages are ever accessed. The VTEC solenoid may be next to the EGR valve but they do not share any passages or ports.
Originally Posted by Bad_dude
So what size brush and how long of the one you use?
Thanks.
Long enough to comfortably use and a diameter slightly larger than the EGR passages.
No, I do not know what size the passages are off the top of my head, measure the size of the plugs on the intake and that will be what you are aiming for.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, lol, not real familiar with the EGR system.
I had the EGR valve off and didn't want to clean it for fear all the crud would end up in the oil pan.

I feel like a dumb ***. HAHA

Thanks. I will clean the system well.

Can anything be done to keep the build up from coming back?

Tortis
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
MM Gruppe B

I had the EGR valve off and didn't want to clean it for fear all the crud would end up in the oil pan.
It won't end up in the oil pan, but if you do not clean it out of the egr ports after breaking it loose it can get stuck in the intake or keep a valve from seating. Use a vacuum while scrubbing to evacuate the crud.

Can anything be done to keep the build up from coming back?
A WOT blast on the freeway onramp every now and again will help a bit.
The most commonly carbon fouled cars are the ones that live a very docile lifestyle put-putting around the neighborhood.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It won't end up in the oil pan, but if you do not clean it out of the egr ports after breaking it loose it can get stuck in the intake or keep a valve from seating. Use a vacuum while scrubbing to evacuate the crud.

A WOT blast on the freeway onramp every now and again will help a bit.
The most commonly carbon fouled cars are the ones that live a very docile lifestyle put-putting around the neighborhood.
HAHA how did you know it is my daughter's car. lol

i really appreciate the help

T
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HAHA how did you know it is my daughter's car. lol

i really appreciate the help

T
You said it in a previous post dude, lol. madmike knows his ish, hes my Accord Haynes manual :D.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to throw another suggestion out there for the port cleaning Ill relay what I did the last time I did the job.

In trying to prevent any carbon from falling into the runners and therefore into the combustion chambers I duct taped a hollowed out mechanical pencil to the end of my shop vac hose.
This focused the vacuum in a narrow area and cleaned the majority of it right out.

Applying some berrymans or other cleaner would also help loosen any stubborn deposits.
Just food for thought...

Quick Reply: EGR .. True meaning?