Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1996 Accord Turbo Build | Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Accord Turbo Build

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and new to Japanese cars / Honda in general, but recently acquired a 1996 Honda Accord with an F22B SOHC VTEC engine as a project car with a group of friends. Most of our experience is with Mercedes/Mercedes-AMGs/Subarus since that's what we daily drive, so if I ask any facepalm questions, please understand.

The car is high mileage but the engine only has 40k on it as it was recently swapped. For this first go around, we are doing a budget build with the understanding that if we blow the engine, we will eventually do a forged bottom end with Wiseco Pistons and Eagle Rods likely sourced from RaceEngineering. Another alternative would be doing a B18B1 swap if that can even be done. I've spent a little time doing some boosted F22B thread reading from Honda-Tech veterans such as GhostAccord and extralargenog, but have several questions that still remain. I also want to use this thread as a log/ledger of a build plan so fellow members can give their input.

As for a quick rundown, the car is fully stripped interior with race buckets. We are going to use an eBay turbo kit with a cast T3 manifold (we might do some re-welding/weld correction if they seem to be shoddy) - I know the stainless ones tend to be too thin and the welds crack and send metal through the turbo and then engine - and we are scrapping the generic eBay turbo and getting another T3/T4 compatible turbo.

From what I've read, 8psi is the safe maximum, but 11psi seems to be achievable in shorter duration. I would be thrilled if we got 250whp on stock internals for 5k miles. Below is a summary of everything, the car is being painted at our booth right now so I have some time to get this figured out.

CAR: 1996 Honda Accord
ENGINE: F22B SOHC / VTEC
TURBO KIT: FantasyMotorParts F22B Turbo Kit (94 02 Accord CL F22 F23 F22B F23A Close Port T3 T04E T3 T4 Cast Iron Turbo Kit | eBay)
TURBO: Holset HE351CW T3 Turbo from an 03-04 Cummins, should be 57mm, some 04.5+ are 62mm from what I've read
DOWNPIPE (Not Included with Kit): Custom Hood Stack (Loud!)
ADDITIONAL SUPPORTING MODS: ARP Headstuds (Arp Head Studs Stud Kit Honda 92 00 Accord Prelude H23A F23A F22B F22A | eBay), Injectors, ECU Solution/Tune, Fuel Pump
POWER/BOOST GOALS: 8psi-11psi, 250-305whp (Even if we made 200whp I'd be happy)

Here are the questions I have that I was wondering if Honda-Tech could help me answer:

[BUILD QUESTIONS]

1) A friend of mine suggested we tune for cheap on CROME, as the original idea was a Hondata ECU but it seems to be cost prohibitive. CROME seems to be OBD1 only, is it possible to tune with CROME on a 96 Accord? The site says it supports OBDII P72, OBDII P73, OBDII P2P ROMS, do any of these apply or must it still be an OBD1 interface?

2) If #1 is a no-go, what is a decent but cheap ECU solution that would allow for boost tuning on an F22B? (eCuTune/Neptune DEMON?)

3) We have 800cc Subaru Injectors that fit an fourth generation Subaru Legacy GT, any chance these would fit? I'll try to get more information on them in follow up. If not, what injectors would be recommended?

4) What is a suitable and hopefully lower-priced fuel pump for this build?

5) Any other pressing issues we've overlooked, or anything you recommend we do?

[CURRENT ISSUES QUESTIONS]

*Once paint is complete we will take the car to professional, but I figure it's worth a try to address this here

1) The car idles quite weird on cold start, it will jump up and down about 1000rpm as it warms up, then when it's warm it will idle smoothly if it hasn't been driven, but will sometimes idle too low after the needle reads half way between C and H. We check for low coolant as I read this can cause such an issue, but what else could cause this? Bad ICV? To be frank I'm not familiar with how the F22B in this regard.

Thank you very much, all.

[EDIT]: We are also using this thread as a turbo build thread, some pics are coming.

Last edited by F22Boost; 08-23-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Accord Turbo Build | Questions

For the idle issue, yes I would check/clean/adjust the IACV and FITV. There are a few write ups on that in the FAQ thread
Old 08-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks ^, Anyone have any ideas for ECU solutions?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice. Although I would suggest the v6 engine. I don't know much about cars but you could reach your goals a lot faster right? Probably even surpass your goals. They come stock already almost 200 hp.

Either way, good looking build so far. You've got a good plan and seem to be very motivated. Definitely subscribing and hope to see frequent updates with pictures and such.

Edit.
With the little research I've done I'd totally say to try and get hondata. It's pricey but totally worth it. It seems to be the best one out of all. I see it very often. Buddy of mine actually has it in his Honda civic SI with a k20 swap and man that thing is fast. He always says the hondata make a huge difference
Old 08-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have decided to go the Hondata route and as far as injectors we are looking at some ~450cc injectors from a DSM I believe. The manifold is on and the turbo is mounted, will post some pics tomorrow