Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1996 Accord still idling down and dying at stops

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1996 Accord still idling down and dying at stops

I decided to just start from scratch. Ive read countless threads, watched countless videos, replaced a million things and I still cant get my 96 Accord wagon to stay running as I slow down or come to a stop.
This is what I DO know;
F22b2 Automatic OBD2
* I have adequate fuel pressure, 32-35psi at all times even up to the moment it stalls.
* Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and all brand new. Tried 3 different distributors, stalling issue stays the same.
* Thermostat is new, Ive tried three different ECT sensors
* Tried 2 different EGR valves, cleaned EGR valve.
* No CEL, no vacuum leaks
* Cleaned EGR ports
* Tried 3 different ECUs same issue
* Tried three different throttle bodies, cleaned FITVs, and IACVS. IACVs are working RPMS drop when unplugged

Problem occurs as soon as engine is warm. From a cold start it starts and idles fine. I followed factory procedure by starting car, held idle at 3K rpm until fan kicked in, then brought back to regular idle. Bled coolant. Idles beautifully. Runs beautifully. Soon as I get to the first stop sign and let off the gas it idles down and stalls. Starts back up, but a little rough continues to keep stalling.

Questions, would the IAT sensor have anything to do with this problem?
The last CEL it had was for a bad front cat. Could a front cat that is really plugged be causing this? Again, it idles great and runs great until operating temp, as soon as warm starts stalling.

Ive run out of ideas, I have spend so much money and time on this car, its really driving me crazy. Im open to any ideas Honda brothers
Old 07-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1996 Accord still idling down and dying at stops

Well, for some reason I played around with the throttle cables. I unhooked the cable for the cruise control and took the slack out of the regular throttle cable. Still seems to have approx half inch of freeplay, I dont think its holding the throttle open. But seems to run without dying at every stop now. Runs pretty amazing actually, considering everything I have replaced and cleaned on it. It threw a Code 92, evap system. Im going to get a different gas cap and purge valve from the junkyard tomorrow. Thank goodness this battle seems to be almost over. Funny how sometimes a confusing problem can be something so simple..
Old 07-02-2017, 01:20 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Accord still idling down and dying at stops

If it is OBDII then use a scanner and monitor the sensors.
If the TPS is going out it may not set a code, or if it is adjusted incorrectly the PCM may set the wrong timing/fuel/IAC settings and the engine stalls.
Same with MAP sensor, watch it for anything unusually at the lower rpm. Verify IAT is showing expected temps.

Although OBDII is better at self diagnostics, the Honda PGM-FI system is still a Speed Density system and can be a bit slow in recognizing a fault. TPS failing and not setting a code is not uncommon.