Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Clicking noises when I turn - CV joint??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noises when I turn - CV joint??

We recently took a long trip with a 1992 Honda Accord DX. We just noticed after the trip to our destination that there are a couple noises coming from the front end.

When we are turning, there is a clicking noise (about 3 clicks) that occur. We had a similar problem with our 93 Acura Integra, and eventually the CV joint completely broke and the tire fell off while driving.

The Accord is also making a noise that I believe is related. It sounds like a bearing that gets really loud when we start to go 35 mph and above.

Can any one offer any suggestions as to what the problem may be? We are also looking for how much it may cost to fix and a cheap place to buy parts.

Thanks!

Last edited by quiet4no1; 03-09-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking noises when I turn - CV joint??

If you hear the clicking noise and it's loud then the joint is gone. It's best to replace the whole arm on that side. Check the other boot while you are at it. I would just buy a life time warranty one from Autozone around $110 to $120 each arm.
If you hear a clunking noise when quick turning, it might be the tie rod arm(s). While you checking for the CV boot, you should also check for other boots too, tie rod end has a boot also. Check those. If you have to change the Tie rod arm then go ahead and change on both side as alignment is needed if the tie rod is mess with.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiet4no1
We are also looking for how much it may cost to fix and a cheap place to buy parts.
Don't go too cheap, CV joints are important, $100 per driveaxle isn't bad, I had to replace mine about a year ago. First time I've ever done it and it took about 2 hours.

The bearing noise sounds kinda like a bearing or a harmonic balancer. (I think) There was a similar problem in a celica I drove and it was a harmonic balancer.

Do the work yourself, that's where you'll save the money.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The noise is somewhat loud, and it clicks about 3 times when you turn the wheel right, and 3 more times when you turn it left.

I think it is a CV joint, because the noise is similar to that on our old Acura Integra. The noise on the Accord is not as loud though, and just started after we traveled 1,000 miles from our home. We have to drive back, and now may have to fix this before we leave.

The other noise is a dragging noise that is coming from the right front tire, which starts getting loud and slowing the car down when we it 35 mph or higher. Someone said a brake may be hung up, idk. Any ideas?

If its the CV joint(s), do we buy just one cv joint and one axle or two of both? And where do we buy them from?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The other noise is a dragging noise that is coming from the right front tire, which starts getting loud and slowing the car down when we it 35 mph or higher. Someone said a brake may be hung up, idk. Any ideas?

If its the CV joint(s), do we buy just one cv joint and one axle or two of both? And where do we buy them from?
The clicking is definatly the CV joints. When you are replacing CV joints, typically you are replacing the whole driveaxle. I would replace both of them at the same time. I bought mine from a local parts dealer called smythe automotive. Just go to whatever parts store you normally use. I don't know much about that other problem, so my best guess was a harmonic balancer.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are so many different parts concerning a CV joint that may need to be replaced, and since I don't know too much about cars, I don't know where to start. Do i get a CV joint, or CV joint boot kit, or cv joint and axle, etc

The other noise happens on front passenger side tire when I accelerate past 35 mph. It gets pretty loud, and causes the car to drag. After I let off the gas, the car begins to make a noise as well that slows the down the car. My dad said it may be a brake that is hung up or a broken parking brake that is stuck?

What do you think it is?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

If it only clicks exactly 3 times each time you turn the wheel. I would take a closer listen to try and pin point where the sound is coming from. A bad CV joint usually clicks/grinds constantly while strain is placed on it in a turn. Not just 3 times each turn of the steering wheel. Sounds more like you may have something clicking in your steering column or rack.

Your other noise and dragging could be caused by a sticking caliper or completly worn out break pad jammed into the caliper. your not really giving us much to go on here.

Did you happen to hit anything, such as a pot hole or a curb by any chance?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Is the click there when you simply turn the steering wheel without moving?(i.e. simply truning the wheel while in park and not moving) or is it click when you are driving while turning?

If you are clicking while turning while not moving then that is not a CV joint as the CV joint clicks when you are moving.

It is a easy enough replacement if you have to replace the CV joint. Simply replace the entire axle (i.e. half shaft)

You need a socket big enough to unbolt the big nut in the center of the wheel but you don't have to disturb the brakes at all

Good luck

L
Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We recently took a long trip with a 1992 Honda Accord DX. We just noticed after the trip to our destination that there are a couple noises coming from the front end.

When we are turning, there is a clicking noise (about 3 clicks) that occur. We had a similar problem with our 93 Acura Integra, and eventually the CV joint completely broke and the tire fell off while driving.

The Accord is also making a noise that I believe is related. It sounds like a bearing that gets really loud when we start to go 35 mph and above.

Can any one offer any suggestions as to what the problem may be? We are also looking for how much it may cost to fix and a cheap place to buy parts.

Thanks!
quoted to call bullshit on this story......more than an axle broke for that to happen.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The clicking noise seems to be coming from the steering column. It clicks 3 times when I turn it to the right or left, both when the car is moving and when it is not moving. If that is not a CV joint, then what could it be?

Anyway, we also haven't had the chance to look at the car and why it is making the other noise. The noise is on the front right tire, and it sounds like a rubbing or grinding noise that occurs when the car hits about 35-40 mph. It seems to slow the car down somewhat, and it only occurs when it feels like it. Just doesn't sound good enough to drive.

Also, someone called a B.S. on a quote about our old Acura. Actually, this quote is accurate, just needs to be explained. CV joint had been going bad for about 2 years, and it finally snapped while turning left. It had a ripped boot for a long time, so it was ready. The tire didn't fly off, but when the CV jont broke so did the ball joint. The tire came off the joint and the car fell onto while it was sideways, taking off some of the paint.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The clicking noise seems to be coming from the steering column. It clicks 3 times when I turn it to the right or left, both when the car is moving and when it is not moving. If that is not a CV joint, then what could it be?

Anyway, we also haven't had the chance to look at the car and why it is making the other noise. The noise is on the front right tire, and it sounds like a rubbing or grinding noise that occurs when the car hits about 35-40 mph. It seems to slow the car down somewhat, and it only occurs when it feels like it. Just doesn't sound good enough to drive.

Also, someone called a B.S. on a quote about our old Acura. Actually, this quote is accurate, just needs to be explained. CV joint had been going bad for about 2 years, and it finally snapped while turning left. It had a ripped boot for a long time, so it was ready. The tire didn't fly off, but when the CV jont broke so did the ball joint. The tire came off the joint and the car fell onto while it was sideways, taking off some of the paint.
That sounds more believable..
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

If it makes the sound while your not moving it is not the CV joint or anything to do with the drive train. It is 100% steering column. get in under the dash and turn the steering wheel back and forth until you can pin point exact where the noise is coming from. If I was on site I could help a bit more. I have never come across this specific problem so I'm not going to be much help.

As for your over 35 noise, I would suggest that you get the wheel bearing and front suspension looked at.

Engage your emergency brake, put the car in neutral and jack up that side of your car so that the tire is off the ground. Give the tire a spin and listen for a grinding noise as the tire is spinning. Then try and pin point where the grinding noise is coming from.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the the CV joints, Ball joints, and sway bar links replaced on both sides this past fall. The clicking coming from the steering column is still there. Not sure what part it could be.

217000 mi and still going. Need to have a buddy help me fix the valve seal oil leak which is causing spark plug wells to fill with oil :/... I have had to keep filling it up with oil
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Trial User

Hi. I found your thread from a few years back. My CRV have the same problem have you described with the 3-clicks. Did you solve the problem? If no, have your car been okay for the past 3 years with the noise? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When its clicking its either about to go or its gone. Either way replace it