Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1993 Accord Oil Pan and Gasket Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Accord Oil Pan and Gasket Leaks

I am having difficulty with a 1993 Honda Accord oil pan gasket leak. Long story short as possible…
FIRST ATTEMPT: I chose to replace the original, and very rusty, leaking oil pan and gasket. I buy a Dorman pan, and a Meyle gasket. I thought using a thin film of black RTV on both sides of gasket would be a good idea. I Torqued by feel in alternating sides in a few stages. Well, after a few days I found that I had a leaky oil pan!
SECOND ATTEMPT: Removing the now glued on pan was an exercise in patience! The RTV has great adhesion! After hours of work I finally got the pan and aluminum block clean of any RTV…no nicks, I was careful. This time I chose a Magnum Brand Maxdry neoprene gasket. I use no RTV this time per manufacturer. I used a 3-step torque process criss-crossing as prescribed. I torqued to 30-60-72 inch-pounds (Honda spec is 96 inch-pounds). All was dry for about a month or so then the pan began to leak again!
Having used all best practices in my work I am about to give this a third try. I have purchased a new Honda oil pan. And after talking with a Victor Reinz company engineer (Magnum Brand Maxdry has since been bought out by Victor Reinz) I was urged to buy a new gasket to go with the new Honda pan, which I did; these gaskets are truly a fine part to behold. Before I dig in once again I appeal to you experts out there who may be able to offer additional pointers that will help my third attempt at this job be a successful and dry experience. MANY thanks for now, Eric

Last edited by mrfixit54; 03-13-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: puntuation
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1993 Accord Oil Pan and Gasket Leaks

Are you placing the gasket in the correct spot? You may not be lining something up probablyy..
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes we may overlook the obvious, but in this case there is only one way this gasket fits and is installed. All of the small holes in the gasket line up with the corresponding "bumps" on the pan. Once the pan is placed on the block, and each of the bolts, and studs are inserted then the pan and gasket are precisely where they belong. Maybe, just maybe the Honda block did not like the Dorman pan...time will tell, Thanks.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time you heard feomme I was ready to give this oil pan and gasket a third try. Here is my solved mystery...
Before I pulled down the leaking pan I observed a part of the gasket (passenger side) was herniating out. What the, I said, why would that be?
Here is a pic of a split in that gasket.
This shows the split in the gasket. Why? wait for it...
Further, I discovered that each bolt or stud hole in the gasket was ripped, torn, and shredded! This allowed oil to leak around the entire pan. Why? these rips were caused by sharp burrs at each pan bolt hole! The holes were drilled from the bottom of pan leaving sharp, jagged, and nasty edges around each bolt hole; I never noticed this.
This image shows the Dorman pan on the left and the Honda OEM pan on the right. Observe on the Dorman pan where the dished end of the gasket fits into. This narrow area, too small to support a gasket, is not flat but angled, and somewhat sharp! This narrow area created a perfect "knife" with which to slice the gasket. Observe the Honda pan at right...this same area is wide to accommodate the gasket and hold it from ever moving.I must give credit where credit is due. The Victor Reinze gaskets work great, and their customer support staff is terrific! The OEM Honda pan is made with Honda quality! I have determined that the Dorman pan, made in China, is a poorly built part lacking in design and quality control. I have asked the pan seller, rockauto to credit my account, which they refuse...they will only replace the pan with another brand pan. I explained that I had bought a Honda brand pan and that I do not wish for a replacement pan...still do dice, they will not credit my account!

Buy Honda quality...you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time you heard from me I was ready to give this oil pan and gasket a third try. Here is my solved mystery...
Before I pulled down the leaking pan I observed a part of the gasket (passenger side) was herniating out. What the, I said, why would that be?
Further, I discovered that each bolt or stud hole in the gasket was ripped, torn, and shredded! This allowed oil to leak around the entire pan. Why? these rips were caused by sharp burrs at each pan bolt hole! The holes were drilled from the bottom of pan leaving sharp, jagged, and nasty edges around each bolt hole; I never noticed this.
This image shows the Dorman pan on the left and the Honda OEM pan on the right. Observe on the Dorman pan where the dished end of the gasket fits into. This narrow area, too small to support a gasket, is not flat but angled, and somewhat sharp! This narrow area created a perfect "knife" with which to slice the gasket. Observe the Honda pan at right...this same area is wide to accommodate the gasket and hold it from ever moving.I must give credit where credit is due. The Victor Reinze gaskets work great, and their customer support staff is terrific! The OEM Honda pan is made with Honda quality! I have determined that the Dorman pan, made in China, is a poorly built part lacking in design and quality control. I have asked the pan seller, rockauto to credit my account, which they refuse...they will only replace the pan with another brand pan. I explained that I had bought a Honda brand pan and that I do not wish for a replacement pan...still do dice, they will not credit my account!

Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time you heard from me I was ready to give this oil pan and gasket a third try. Here is my solved mystery story...
Before I pulled down the leaking pan I observed a part of the gasket (passenger side) was herniating out. What the I said, why would that be?

Further, I discovered that each bolt or stud hole in the gasket had been ripped, torn, and shredded! Why? these rips were caused by sharp burrs at each pan bolt hole! The holes were drilled from the bottom of pan leaving sharp, jagged, and nasty edges around each bolt hole; I never noticed this... these burrs cut thru the gasket at every bolt hole allowing oil to leak.
This image shows the Dorman pan on the left and the Honda OEM pan on the right. Observe on the Dorman pan where the dished end of the gasket fits into. This narrow area, too small to support a gasket, is not flat but angled, and somewhat sharp! This narrow area created a perfect "knife" with which to slice the gasket. Observe the Honda pan at right...this same area is wide to accommodate the gasket and hold it from ever moving. Also, each of the bolt holes in the Honda pan is free of any burrs.

I must give credit where credit is due. The Victor Reinze gaskets work great, and their customer support staff is terrific! The OEM Honda pan is made with Honda quality! I have determined that the Dorman pan, made in China, is a poorly built part lacking in design and quality control. I have asked the pan seller, rockauto to credit my account, which they refuse...they will only replace the pan with another brand pan. I explained that I have since purchased a Honda brand pan and that I do not wish for a replacement pan...still do dice, they will not credit my account!

Last edited by mrfixit54; 04-15-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling and word choice