1993 Accord Major Oil Leak - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

 
Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Guys I need your experienced opinions please.

This is a friend's car. It has been leaking oil for years. She was dealing with it by adding oil regularly.

Then one day she got out and noticed a large puddle under the car. She drove it straight home (about a half mile) - leaving a trail of oil all the way. From that trail I can tell that it was running onto the ground from the driver's side (front of the engine).

I am no stranger to working on cars, but I do not know what I am dealing with here. Everything underneath is drenched. I guess my first question would be - what comes to mind based on the location of where the leak seemed to be coming from?

I took some photos and a short video, which I will try and post here also. Thank you - if anyone can help get me pointed in the right direction here.
scoostraw is offline  
Old 01-05-2019, 01:59 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Here is a short video clip. Everything is wet it seems - from the oil filter to the inside of the the timing belt cover.

My temptation is to fill the engine with oil - add dye - and then start it - to try and pinpoint things that way.

scoostraw is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 PM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 160
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

take it to car wash and clean up as much as possible. put it on car ramps, start it up and craw under to see whats dripping. it looks like maybe the front seal or oil pan. It could also be the camshaft seal or a balancer shaft seal. The cam cover gasket can also dump a lot of oil. Does the oil run out with the engine off? if so maybe a hole in the oil pan.
schreps is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 03:52 AM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by schreps View Post
take it to car wash and clean up as much as possible. put it on car ramps, start it up and craw under to see whats dripping. it looks like maybe the front seal or oil pan. It could also be the camshaft seal or a balancer shaft seal. The cam cover gasket can also dump a lot of oil. Does the oil run out with the engine off? if so maybe a hole in the oil pan.
Thanks schreps.

I've done some reading and the balancer shaft seal has got my attention. IIRC the timing belt was wet. Next time I have access to the car I'm going to look to see if there is a seal retainer installed. If not, I will probably remove the timing cover to have a look-see.

I also had the same thought as you - put oil in the engine to see if it runs out.
scoostraw is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:46 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 160
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by scoostraw View Post
Thanks schreps.

I've done some reading and the balancer shaft seal has got my attention. IIRC the timing belt was wet. Next time I have access to the car I'm going to look to see if there is a seal retainer installed. If not, I will probably remove the timing cover to have a look-see.

I also had the same thought as you - put oil in the engine to see if it runs out.


to get the lower cover off you need to remove the lower pulley (harmonic balancer) which requires removing the crank bolt. that bolt can be a bitch, best removed with a good air impact wrench.
schreps is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by schreps View Post
to get the lower cover off you need to remove the lower pulley (harmonic balancer) which requires removing the crank bolt. that bolt can be a bitch, best removed with a good air impact wrench.
Thanks yes I am aware of that. I doubt that my impact is up to the task, but I have a chain-vicegrip, a 1/2" breaker bar and a pipe. Of course I have no idea if the last guy used loctite on it or not.
scoostraw is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 93
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by scoostraw View Post
Thanks yes I am aware of that. I doubt that my impact is up to the task, but I have a chain-vicegrip, a 1/2" breaker bar and a pipe. Of course I have no idea if the last guy used loctite on it or not.
Is it a 1993 Honda Accord EX with a F22A6?
kevinhughes13 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 149
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by scoostraw View Post
Thanks yes I am aware of that. I doubt that my impact is up to the task, but I have a chain-vicegrip, a 1/2" breaker bar and a pipe. Of course I have no idea if the last guy used loctite on it or not.
no.no.no..on the chain vice grip..your going to ruin the pulley..i dont know why people have trouble with this..i pop them off easily with vacuum tube shoved into the cylinder..take any plug out and turn the engine ccw until its on the piston is all the way on the bottom of the cylinder...shove as much of the vacuum tubing you can into the cylinder..now turn the crank ccw until the piston jams the tubing and locks engine..done..now place a jackstand the same level as crank bolt and you a breaker bar and a big long pipe for leverage and bust it loose..now turn engine slightly clockwise and remove tube...done
hondaslave1342 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by kevinhughes13 View Post


Is it a 1993 Honda Accord EX with a F22A6?
It is an Accord LX.
scoostraw is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by hondaslave1342 View Post
no.no.no..on the chain vice grip..your going to ruin the pulley..i dont know why people have trouble with this..i pop them off easily with vacuum tube shoved into the cylinder..take any plug out and turn the engine ccw until its on the piston is all the way on the bottom of the cylinder...shove as much of the vacuum tubing you can into the cylinder..now turn the crank ccw until the piston jams the tubing and locks engine..done..now place a jackstand the same level as crank bolt and you a breaker bar and a big long pipe for leverage and bust it loose..now turn engine slightly clockwise and remove tube...done
I was going to wrap a rag around the pulley to protect it. But your idea of the vacuum tubing sounds very good. I may do it this way. I like it. Thank you.
scoostraw is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:29 PM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 28
Icon3 Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

I have a 91 Accord LX and 2 years ago when I changed the timing and balancer belt I had to loosen that crank pulley and what I did was wrap some bicycle tubing around the serpentine grooves of the crank pulley (with duct tape to hold it in place) to protect the grooves and then I griped the whole thing with a special tool. This tool was a looking chain clamp which I then wedged against the ground with a pipe coming out of it so that the pulley could not turn CCW in order to be able to loosen that bolt with the use of a breaker bar with a very long pipe added to it (I used a 5 foot extension!) because it may need as much as 200 ft lbs + to de-torque that bolt! It did end up burring the serpentine groves but I just deburred it with a cheap Dremel and some sand paper. The crank pulley should turn CCW looking at it from the driver's side when the engine is running. I think that if you let the crank pulley as seen from the driver's side turn clockwise too much it may loosen the tension on the timing belt, so be careful! You gotta realize that the crankshaft always and only turns CCW viewing from the drivers side so turning that engine opposite that is not what it was designed to do.

Perhaps, all you gotta do to find the leak is clean everything up and then drive a short trip. Go look above/underneath and follow the oil trail back to the source. Don't drive too long or everything may get oiled up again and then there's no telling where the oil is coming from which is the problem you have now.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Dave
Davesmit is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 AM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by Davesmit View Post
I have a 91 Accord LX and 2 years ago when I changed the timing and balancer belt I had to loosen that crank pulley and what I did was wrap some bicycle tubing around the serpentine grooves of the crank pulley (with duct tape to hold it in place) to protect the grooves and then I griped the whole thing with a special tool. This tool was a looking chain clamp which I then wedged against the ground with a pipe coming out of it so that the pulley could not turn CCW in order to be able to loosen that bolt with the use of a breaker bar with a very long pipe added to it (I used a 5 foot extension!) because it may need as much as 200 ft lbs + to de-torque that bolt! It did end up burring the serpentine groves but I just deburred it with a cheap Dremel and some sand paper. The crank pulley should turn CCW looking at it from the driver's side when the engine is running. I think that if you let the crank pulley as seen from the driver's side turn clockwise too much it may loosen the tension on the timing belt, so be careful! You gotta realize that the crankshaft always and only turns CCW viewing from the drivers side so turning that engine opposite that is not what it was designed to do.

Perhaps, all you gotta do to find the leak is clean everything up and then drive a short trip. Go look above/underneath and follow the oil trail back to the source. Don't drive too long or everything may get oiled up again and then there's no telling where the oil is coming from which is the problem you have now.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Dave
Thanks Dave. Good stuff - all of it.

I'm kinda thinking at this point of running the engine with dye in the oil to help pinpoint the source of the leak.
scoostraw is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 160
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Originally Posted by scoostraw View Post
Thanks Dave. Good stuff - all of it.

I'm kinda thinking at this point of running the engine with dye in the oil to help pinpoint the source of the leak.
I use one of these ($15) plus the air impact. the time it takes to deal with putting stuff in and out of the cylinder and making sure the cylinder is on the compression stroke isn't worth it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura...frcectupt=true

schreps is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 06:49 AM
  #14  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Default Re: 1993 Accord Major Oil Leak

Thank you. I did not know this tool existed.

I may get one.
scoostraw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: