Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1991 Accord EX Coupe - Hesitates / stumbles at low revs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Accord EX Coupe - Hesitates / stumbles at low revs

My 1991 Accord was stumbling under low acceleration. I found my problem and I believe it's the same many of you are having. It turned out to be the ecu needed to be reset. It got messed up. My battery had gone dead while I was doing some body work over a one year period. Occasionally, I would jump start it so that I could move it around. That meant I was resetting the ECU Constantly. The problem is, if you reset the ECU after it is warm or reset the ECU in the middle of it's learning cycle, you set your sensor parameters incorrectly into the ECU's memory. In my case, My temperature sensor's parameters were off. While I was having the acceleration stumbling problem, I unplugged the TW sender, no more stumbling. I tested the sensor, it was within specs. Reset the ECU properly, the problem went away.

Good luck. I went through all that you guys have gone through. EGR, distributor, timing, torque converter, spark plug wires and plugs. None of them really explained the stumbling only under low acceleration, when warmed up. It was not intermittent, it was under very specific circumstatances. Bad parameters, explained why the check engine light did not come on. Bad parameters explained why, when I disconnected the sensor, the ECU went to warmed up default condition for that sensor, so the car ran fine when the sensor was disconnected.

Good luck and let me know what you find.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 Accord EX Coupe - Hesitates / stumbles at low revs - NOT EGR

Originally Posted by Big_Eddy
I researched the topic and everything pointed to the EGR fix - so I spent an hour on the weekend and cleaned out each of the ports. No better.

My Accord - only when warm - will hesitate badly when trying to accelerate hard under about 2200 rpm. Ease off the gas and it will stop hesitating and slowly accelerate, downshift till over 2500 rom and it pulls beautifully.

Since doing the EGR ports- it is the same or worse - not better.

Pulled the plugs - they all look fine - nice tan colour.

Need to know where to look next. Probably the distributor but appreciate any guidance.

Car has 220K KM on it, and passed the smog test easily about 1 month ago. It started doing this about the same time and has been getting worse over time.

Thanks.
Big_Eddy

Modified by Big_Eddy at 9:07 AM 9/24/2008

To close out my car

The problem that started this thread was caused by a distributor that went bad. Changed it for one from the resource pile, and it never happened
again.

I also had ongoing issues with misfires under heavy load. The donut seals under the rocker cover were old and leaking, and over time oil would pool in the spark plug holes. That oil was causing shorts to ground on some of the plugs and would lead to misfires when under load. Simple fix was to pull the plugs every month or so, clean them off along with the plug wires, and reinstall.

My 91's have all gone to Honda heaven - I now have 2 98's and an 02 in the stable.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Big Eddy for the response.

Yetars.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Trial User

I had this issue on my 1998 crv with almost 200,000 miles. When the engine was warm it would hesitate and almost stall until the higher rpms kicked in. Then it would run great. I replaced distributor cap and rotor and all issue have gone away. It's a cheap fix for something that was hard for the "professionals" to solve.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:36 AM
Trial User

Chased the same damn symptoms for half a year. Finally wound up changing the plugs, which cured it instantly. Argh!
I'd installed new plugs a few weeks before the fun began, and did give them an inspection when the problem started. They looked fine, but apparently, one was suffering some sort of internal issue.