Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1990 honda accord ex auto 4 door. gear selector cable adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 honda accord ex auto 4 door. gear selector cable adjustment?

is there such a thing. if i start the car in neutral the car jerks forward as if i was starting a stick shift in gear. i have to push the gear selector up between reverse and neutral for it to get out of gear. i noticed this when i took it out of D4 and into neutral while i was at taco bell drive thru while i was waiting let go of the brake and it started creeping. now i think this is why my last transmission might of gone out. its a fresh swap rebuilt. paper work was still in the glove department its only 6 months old fresh come up at a junkyard. the only reason i think it might be like a cable adjustment is because the old transmission coasted ONCE in a rare while when in neutral i think this one creeps because the clutch packs are not slipping like on my old transmission. i don't think it's a bad transmission due to the engine being seized. i think that is the only reason that car ended up in the junkyard
Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 1990 honda accord ex auto 4 door. gear selector cable adjustment?

It could be the cable is out of adjustment.
Take the center console off and look at the cable.

Put the car in neutral and remove the lock pin.
Adjust the locknut until you can slide the lockpin into its place with ease.
Tighten the locknut.

IIRC there is a window where the two sides of the cable have a window that should line up. Verify that the cable is free to move and you can select each gear.

If you have had problems in the past or currently with the key sticking or hard to remove from the column, this would be part of the problem as well.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks for the info. will look into that today. what do you mean if I've had problems in the pass or currently with the key sticking or hard to remove from the column. if i turn my key to turn on the car yes the key does stay stuck leaving the starter engaged until i jimmy it back. to start it i just turn the key until the car cranks and starts and i let go of the key. **** sounds like i need a new ignition switch. i should try both right? what would the key sticking have to do with the gear selector im a bit lost on that one? is the shifter suppose to line up with the holes nice or am i suppose to push the shift column forward to get the holes to line up i had to do that when i was in there figuring out with my d4 light wouldn't light up. it was my bulb in the dash. i had to use a screw driver to line up the holes, i don't know if you know what i mean? does that mean its out of adjustment? im going outside to look at it now anyways. just wondering
Old 09-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
It could be the cable is out of adjustment.
Take the center console off and look at the cable.

Put the car in neutral and remove the lock pin.
Adjust the locknut until you can slide the lockpin into its place with ease.
Tighten the locknut.

IIRC there is a window where the two sides of the cable have a window that should line up. Verify that the cable is free to move and you can select each gear.

If you have had problems in the past or currently with the key sticking or hard to remove from the column, this would be part of the problem as well.
diffidently helped mad mike. now neutral is neutral haha, transmission feels smoother so do the shifts.