Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1990 honda accord ex 4door auto tranny solenoid problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 honda accord ex 4door auto tranny solenoid problem

my rebuilt cd5 transmission has come to bite me in the *** with a vengeance i was cruising and all of a sudden neutral no gears what so ever!!!! i turned off the car after pulling over let it sit for a minute and i was back on the road made it home which was a 10 minute drive. nothing funky whatsoever.. i removed the tcu and repaired some broken solder joints. before i did this my transmission was shifting around 3k every gear, after repairing the joints it was shifting around 2k every gear so i left it like that thinking that was my problem. i later went to the store and made it down the road about 4 minutes and again no gears. once again i made it home but this time i went to diagnose it and now i have no gears even after letting it sit for 3 hours!! im thinking the tcu was never communicating with the transmission or something like that and thus it just running on pressure idk im just going on a hunch now.... specially since it shifts at 2k now.... i made some videos.... the 1st one something new i didn't hear before ever!!!! even before the transmission swap the shift solenoids click both of them do when i go and put the key on run position.. and when i start the car i hear this weird noise which will be the 2nd video. now im also thinking the solenoids are being shorted open thus letting pressure in all gears making it loose pressure on all clutch packs making it neutral since its not really regulating pressure. i know i know i might have damaged my transmission if this is the case if i did im parting this car out. its dark now i will remove the shift solenoids and inspect them tomm. good thing i have spares. i forgot to mention, this does sound like symptom of a clogged filter. the transmission fluid is fresh and clean.no burnt smell either

Last edited by NerfGunner420; 10-12-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: this does sound like symptom of a clogged filter. the transmission fluid is fresh and clean.no burnt smell either
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1990 honda accord ex 4door auto tranny solenoid problem

the solenoids clicking when ignition is set to run position when the lights on the dash light up.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the weird sound. to me sounds like clutch chatter thus me thinking the solenoids are being shorted open when i turn the ignition on. and im thinking its clutch chatter because its making everything shake. yeah scream at me. if this transmission is done its being parted out.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@madmike help me out man!! hahaha
Old 10-13-2014, 12:20 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Solenoids may click(systems check) when initially turn to II(ON) but they should not keep chattering. That may be a power relay issue chattering causing the clicking. Unless someone was simply turning the ignition switch from II(ON) to I(OFF).

I've never noticed if they click when turning to (II)ON.

How many miles on the rebuild? How often have you changed the fluid? What does the fluid look like? Any metal/chunks in the fluid?

Hard to tell what the noise is when running, sounds more like a diesel or exhaust leak.
Usually when the filter clogs, the pump begins to cavitation and creates a whining/squealing/howling noise. Pulling the shift solenoids would show buildup or clogging of the screens.

General health of the transmission would be best done by checking the system pressure for any problems.

If you were having late shifts, verify the throttle valve cable is correctly adjusted, no tension/no slack as a base setting. Vefify the TPS has a linear change in voltage with no dead spots.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry my homie was switching the key II to I then to II to I to let you listen what they sound like. but when the switch was moved to II dash lights come on that's when i heard something i never head before. before i heard relays from the fusebox and fuel pressure building up etc. but not the shift solenoids, the transmission came from a junkyard papers where in the car glove box it was 4 months old.. the engine had seized i removed the transmission and still couldn't rotate the engine i changed the fluid when i got it. it was a cherry red fluid when i took it out, put honda fluid in it. the late shifts stopped after i soldered some broken joints in the tcu. i have tried a running tcu from my dads 90 and 91 accords, no luck. the noise sounds like its coming from the torque converter with the screw driver method. sounds like whining when in part or neutral but goes away in all drive gears.. the throttle cable was adjusted no slack, tps has been tested no dead spots withing voltage range i also forgot to mention my dads two cb7's shift solenoids don't click when i ignition to II
Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can i use this to test the transmission pressure? Engine Oil Pressure Test Kit
Old 10-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure all your fuses are ok .. i had a problem with my transmission in a honda civic where i lost power and was also making a noise.. i had code 16 which was supposed to be a linear solenoid.. after replacing the solenoid and the problem persisted... for some reason i decided to check the fuses .. and the problem with the transmission was a bad fuse under the driver dashboard... make sure the fuses are ok.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NerfGunner420
the weird sound. to me sounds like clutch chatter thus me thinking the solenoids are being shorted open when i turn the ignition on. and im thinking its clutch chatter because its making everything shake. yeah scream at me. if this transmission is done its being parted out. http://youtu.be/4ofwXOE-cxc

Did you figure it out brother I got a 97 Honda accord I can pull the ECM fuse wait three minutes put it back in Card shifts and goes in the gear fine here click on the solenoid I’ll gears feels like neutral you continually I’ll pull is switching so annoyed out clean the screens clean them out outdid you figure it out brother I got a 97 Honda accord I can pull the ECM fuse wait three minutes put it back in Card shifts and goes in the gear fine here click on the solenoid I’ll gears feels like neutral you continually I’ll pull the switch in so annoyed out clean the screens clean them out mono was not working properly cleaned it out started working but somethings clicking they sell noise in and out don’t know what it is affected by does not have any codes except ABS
Old 03-09-2021, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

A few things:

1 - The previous post to yours was 7 years ago, not likely to get much of a response after so many years
2 - Please write complet and normal sentences not runon sentences. Very difficult to understand you.

After saying that, I am sorta guessing what you are writing as it's not clear. Are you saying you cleaned the solenoids and the car doesn't shift correctly in any gear? If so, then more like the ECU than all the solenoids.