Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

00 Honda Accord Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 00 Honda Accord Climate Control

Car: 2000 Honda Accord (Trim?)

I'm pretty sure I need to change out the manual (non-digital) AC/Heater control unit; I was calling salvage yards in vain (none in stock) but the question kept coming up: "Climate control or no climate control?"

Quick googling and... I still can't find a difference.

First of all, I was taught a long time ago that climate control was the ability to set a specific temperature and your vehicle regulates heating/cooling automatically to maintain that temperature. But the units I've searched for on Google and Ebay with and without climate control look like the same unit, with ambiguous titles.

So either 1. Climate Control is only for digital units, and all manual control units with "climate control" in the title is false, or referring to something else that means "Climate Control"... or..
2. There is a difference so subtle I'm not spotting it.

All the pictures below look exactly like the unit currently in the vehicle, in case that wasn't obvious.

For example:
This unit from Ebay is listed as having Climate Control (if you go to the description, it lists what the part contains; vents, clocks, etc. And lists Climate Control as a feature.)

This one has no clock/*****/vents/radio bezel, but listed as climate control (though, it seems to just be referring to the control unit as a climate control, not that it has the fancy feature):

And this one below is like the second one, but WITHOUT climate control (even though the title mentions the phrase):

So my obvious question is; is there a difference? Are they just naming the control unit as a "climate control"? Is there such a thing as a manual control unit having an actual climate control feature or is that purely a digital function?

Also, as a side question, how do I figure out which trim this Honda Accord has besides searching images of examples and matching? Is there a number like in the VIN that expresses this, or a label somewhere on the car (I don't think it has it posted on the trunk like some vehicles do)?

Last edited by koreiryuu; 07-30-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 Honda Accord Climate Control

EATC is what you're referring to. Electronic Ambient Temperature Control

Climate Control in refers to in general any sort of heat or cool air control. Manual or not. Some people incorrectly (imo) will refer to non self adjusting units as non-climate control units.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not fix yours? These are know to have issues, you can add a jumper wire to the one you have and get it working again.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeadlockRiff
EATC is what you're referring to. Electronic Ambient Temperature Control

Climate Control in refers to in general any sort of heat or cool air control. Manual or not. Some people incorrectly (imo) will refer to non self adjusting units as non-climate control units.
Thank you, I mean, common sense told me that initially, but I know so little about the variety of car features that I hesitated.

Originally Posted by Lost Again
Why not fix yours? These are know to have issues, you can add a jumper wire to the one you have and get it working again.
Well, if you're willing to walk me through it. I'm very competent. But as far as vehicles go, I know basic maintenance and very, very little about electrical issues. But like I said, competent, so give me some instruction.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few write ups around on other sites - haven't seen one on here that I can remember or have bookmarked.

Here is one that I have - again there are others: http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...g-50944/page3/