Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

'00 accord transmission skipping 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 accord transmission skipping 2nd gear

Just as the title says, my transmission is having a problem shifting 2nd gear with a 2000 Accord, 2.3l automatic.

Whether hot or cold it will pull out fine in 1st gear and cruise down the road, but when it goes to shift to 2nd the RPMs just shoot up. It doesn't feel like 2nd gear is engaging at all, much less engage then feel like its slipping.

The transmission fluid is still pink/red with no clutch material in it as I would expect to find with a slipping transmission. All other gears seem to be unaffected.

Is it possible for this problem to just be caused by a bad shift solenoid or maybe a cracked valve body inside the transmission?

The Check engine light is on, I havent had the time to check the code yet though. Im not very familiar with Hondas though, will it throw a code for a bad shift solenoid like "low input voltage" etc if its bad, or will it throw a code if the Pcm detects slipping in the transmission?

Has anyone specifically dealt with this problem before?
I didnt find a lot of results w/ the search

please help
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '00 accord transmission skipping 2nd gear

Go check what code it is first, at this point it could point you to the issue. Yes all OBD II cars will throw transmissions codes.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess Im screwed. Im getting codes:
p0700 Trans control System Malfunction
p0730 - Gear Ratio Incorrect
p0780 - Shift Malfunction

p1486 Manufacturer Control Aux. emissions controls (temp sending unit?) - Pending

I take it p0730 is the trans death code (that its slipping).... unless one of the solenoids malfunctioning is causing it....

If Im screwed, which year transmissions interchange with a 2000 accord ex 2.3l....is it 1998-2002?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to mention. I talked to the previous owner, the trans fluid was flushed out and changed 8 months ago, and 2nd gear began having problems up only a few weeks ago. I was also told the transmission was always "weird" shifting into 2nd gear.

The fluid is still clean even after driving it since then, no material in it. I was paying closer attention to the 2nd gear shift the past day or 2, and it does shift into 2nd somewhat (and holds) and a very very light throttle position, but anything more than just keeping momentum and the RPMs shoot up/it slips.

Besides 2nd gear it drives perfectly in 1st, 3rd, 4th. You wouldnt even notice on the interstate/highway.

Im not a transmission or hydraulic expert but is it possible for the 2nd gear shift solenoid to be damaged leak/internally that it doesnt apply enough fluid pressure to the 2nd gear band/clutch set??? (causing the slip?) any transmission experts around?

or am I just going for false hope?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

slip = time for rebuild if your fluid is at the right level
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what the slipping entails I just didnt know if anyone ever experienced a slipping problem because of a solenoid that did not hold hydraulic pressure.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

slipping is caused by clutch pack wear and that is a common problem with these transmissions when the main inline filter gets clogged
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would only the clutches 2nd slip then and not all of them? Im not questioning you, Im just curious and trying to get an understanding of it, Im not familiar with these cars .

Trans failures/slipping on other cars I've dealt with were do to fluid breakdown (burned and not changing it) which left a lot of clutch material in the fluid from slipping/wear once it did not hold (they didnt hold gears at all, in my case it partially does under a very light load). Mine has no material in the fluid and it isnt ridiculously burnt as you would expect to find, since the problem started..... that's one of the things that has me scratching my head. (all other gears work flawlessly)

Im still planning for the worst case scenario and swapping it... as, I said - just trying to get a better understanding.

what years are interchangeable, 98-02 accord? 98-99 acura CLs?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, I may go to look at a transmission locally - supposedly pulled from a 98-02 accord with 60,000 miles...

will there be any id code stamped on the transmission like there is stamped on the engine? if so what would it be for the 2.3l ulev, 4sp auto? and where is it stamped?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

becuase 2nd gear has a lower oil flow rate compared to the other gears and when the main filter gets toasted it is basically starved for oil and that's all she wrote. I had the same problem....end result is to get a reman trans and call it a day. you may or may not get lucky with the j/y one since you do not know if is a reman from mid 2005 or later (that is when honda fixed all the issues with the trans and used an external filter)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am experiencing a similar problem, my 99 Accord slips between 2nd & 3rd. I have no check engine light and I have tested my shift solenoids for resistance, my fluid however is dark and smells burnt (previous owner only changed the fluid 3 times in 180,000 mi)...surprised it lasted this long. I am planning my own rebuild ( I have done a few transmissions in the past, never a FWD import though, not looking forward to it but times are tough.) When you do replace your transmission consider adding an external filter and an auxillary cooler to the system. Other honda forums recommend moving away from the standard honda tranny fluid and going to a full synthetic like Redline, Amsoil, Mobile 1...ect... I did find a place in Chicago that will send me a fully rebuilt transmission for 1450, including core charge, google Gator Transmission Chicago, they seem like they stand behind their product - offering a standard 2yr/unlimited mile warrenty. Best of luck
Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems as we're in the same boat... as far the trans being bad and pulling it.

I took mine to a cottman transmission chain and where they check it for free, as I suspected, they told me after a road test and hooking it up to one of their snap on scanners that it definitely has an internal mechanical problem and would need to be taken apart.

They quoted me $385 for removal of the trans and to take it apart... plus whatever parts it may need ($?$?$?$)

SO, me and a friend are going to pull the trans and take it to them to have it rebuilt, I just cant afford to have them do the whole job as much as I dont wanna deal with it.

I tried finding another trans to just swap and among the few is LKQ which wants around $1000 for a used trans with 165k already on it .....

No point in doing that
Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Becareful there, Here are some prices, Drivetrain dot com offers a kit for $250, Honda is very pricey, the clutches and steels average $15 apiece (there are atleast 20 of each) I got my own rebuild kit with all gaskets,o-rings,clutch plates and steels for $157 from Transtar Industries. Solenoids run about $100-175, I have not found valve body replacements or pump replacements. So if they are using Honda parts, expect big $$, if not then not so much,

A transmisison with 165k on it already is not worth a grand, I would give him $200 since you may be rebuilding it 10k
Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rockauto has a "Parts Authority" brand master rebuild kit for $123 for my model.

Part number: DK9800E if you wanna check it out.

However Im not sure if this is what I need or if the place Im bringing it to will let me supply the parts... I mean Im sure it will need the clutches etc..

Also, I dont know about the quality of this brand. Are the aftermarket manufactures any good for this stuff?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pulled the transmission last week and dropped it off for them to work on.

They called me and told me the clutch/friction materials were just worn out, it needed new steel plates and it needed valve body work, it was $1100 to rebuild including a new converter. I was gonna buy one of the master parts kits on my own and give it to them but they said they wouldn't be able to warranty the parts then since they weren't getting them (if there was a problem), they also mentioned that some of the aftermarket kits dont always have the best fitting/quality parts... although they didnt tell me what brand they actually used. They could of been bullshitting me to make extra $ but I was talking them for a while and they dont seem like the bullshitting type. Plus they do this stuff for a living so guess I have to trust their judgment.

Anyway, when I went to pick it up they showed me some of the clutch plates for 2nd gear. There was no clutch material left on them, they were completely wiped clean, so I guess that will do it.

I have the transmission pretty much in now I just have to hook up everything electrical, put in the axles, subframe, exhaust, coolant and it will be done. Hopefully the transmission works, lol... otherwise I will cry
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I just blew mine last Friday also same slipping 2nd I have to put it in drive 1 till about 25 than switch to drive 3 till about 50 and 60mph I put it back into drive 4. If I replace the trans it will be the 2nd 1 and i really don't feel like doing it this trans only lasted about 30 months Im really trying to see if the manual conversion is easy or not. I might take the 1000 and drop in a H22 but Im really fearing the wiring. I'm not good with electrical at all other than that getting the motor in is simple. if not im trading it in for a 06-07
Old 06-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a recall on those. take it to honda and see if they can do anything for you.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, well I spoke too soon.

My friend and myself finished putting in the transmission in yesterday and buttoned up everything today including changing the timing belt, balancer belt, the tensioner springs, etc... I went to test drive it after putting everything together and.... Is STILL DOESN'T have 2nd gear and it acts exactly as it did before.. Im pissed beyond words. Im so pissed Im not even mad, I dont know how that works but that's the case.

The fluid level is perfect, I put about 6.5 quarts in it just as it calls for. It has reverse, 1st, 3rd, 4th. 2nd will engage but not hook under any load.

I only drove it about 1/2 -3/4 a mile without using 2nd once I foudn out it wasnt working.

I'm thinking either the transmission shop messed up their rebuild or the shift solenoid is bad (not holding pressure as I originally thought) which caused it to need a rebuild to begin with. They did mention they did valve body work to it as well when I picked it up, unless that also may have caused the problem.

Im gonna call them up tomorrow to see what they say.

Im starting to regret buying this car.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

already checked 4 a recall they only did it for the v6 and certain
"00" 4cyl honda really screwed this 1 up
Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j894
wow, well I spoke too soon.

My friend and myself finished putting in the transmission in yesterday and buttoned up everything today including changing the timing belt, balancer belt, the tensioner springs, etc... I went to test drive it after putting everything together and.... Is STILL DOESN'T have 2nd gear and it acts exactly as it did before.. Im pissed beyond words. Im so pissed Im not even mad, I dont know how that works but that's the case.

The fluid level is perfect, I put about 6.5 quarts in it just as it calls for. It has reverse, 1st, 3rd, 4th. 2nd will engage but not hook under any load.

I only drove it about 1/2 -3/4 a mile without using 2nd once I foudn out it wasnt working.

I'm thinking either the transmission shop messed up their rebuild or the shift solenoid is bad (not holding pressure as I originally thought) which caused it to need a rebuild to begin with. They did mention they did valve body work to it as well when I picked it up, unless that also may have caused the problem.

Im gonna call them up tomorrow to see what they say.

Im starting to regret buying this car.
So what's up with the transmission shop, did they make it right?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by j894
pulled the transmission last week and dropped it off for them to work on.

They called me and told me the clutch/friction materials were just worn out, it needed new steel plates and it needed valve body work, it was $1100 to rebuild including a new converter. I was gonna buy one of the master parts kits on my own and give it to them but they said they wouldn't be able to warranty the parts then since they weren't getting them (if there was a problem), they also mentioned that some of the aftermarket kits dont always have the best fitting/quality parts... although they didnt tell me what brand they actually used. They could of been bullshitting me to make extra $ but I was talking them for a while and they dont seem like the bullshitting type. Plus they do this stuff for a living so guess I have to trust their judgment.

Anyway, when I went to pick it up they showed me some of the clutch plates for 2nd gear. There was no clutch material left on them, they were completely wiped clean, so I guess that will do it.

I have the transmission pretty much in now I just have to hook up everything electrical, put in the axles, subframe, exhaust, coolant and it will be done. Hopefully the transmission works, lol... otherwise I will cry
This. I was just gonna tell you that it may be your clutch material that is blown. It will skip gears if whatever gear has a blown clutch.

To find out if you have a blown clutch material is to look at the color of the Auto Trans fluid. If its black, its blown. If its brown, its contaminated and needs to be changed.

But as I saw your post, they already fixed it and still has not cured the problem. So I don't really know what they left out now. GL.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:37 PM
Trial User

my accord is doing the same thing but not slipping its like thudding in 2nd a hard shift like a jump. i might try that drain atf fluid 3 time and add the lucas to see if that helps. if not im so sick of it ill just buy a new transmission at this point.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Trial User

What was the code it threw mine is doing same thing I've replaced all solinoids and no codes but still no 2nd gear
Old 06-11-2020, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

This is ten years old, I don't know that anyone will answer you. Just make a new thread.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke McCusker
What was the code it threw mine is doing same thing I've replaced all solinoids and no codes but still no 2nd gear
3 years ago my car started doing the same thing. I drained one quart of ATF from the trans and added a really thick (Think molass) ATF fluid they sell at auto parts store.

This is not a real fix but in my case it made my car run “OK” for over 3 years and going.

I am still running the same transmission 50k miles later and it never gave up on me.

a drawback of running a quart of the thick stuff in the transmission is that in very very cold weather (below 10celsius) I have to let the car warm up before I take off otherwise it doesn’t shift right.

I am just now getting to replace my transmission for peace of mind.

YMMV

-JF