Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

00 Accord Ex Recirc light stays on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Accord Ex Recirc light stays on all the time

Hi I just bought an 00 Accord Ex coupe 5spd 2.3 w 135k and it has a few things i have to sort out.

First of which is the Recirc light on my A/C heater control temp head stays on all the time including with the car off and the key out and drains the battery if left more than a day. The recirc feature still seems to operate when i hit the button but the light never changes.

Troubleshooting began with removing the negative battery cable and checking for evidence of a short with a test light. When first connecting the test light between the battery and negative cable the light is bright very briefly and dims down and stays barely illuminated. This has led me to identify that removing fuse #13 (clock) in the passenger side fuse box is what is feeding the recirc light with the car off as well as the dim illumination with the test light. If I pull fuse 13 the light will be off with the car off but will stay on all the time with the car on. Thinking the clock isnt that big of a deal I was just going to leave the fuse out and call it "good enough" however with fuse 13 pulled I also have no center dome light with the key off, and my passenger power window switch on the drivers side door will not operate the window but it will work from the passenger side door switch. These items made leaving the fuse out not an option anymore. I then attempted disconnecting the clock from its connector in the dash but the light remained on. To troubleshoot further I left the #13 fuse out with the car running and decided to pull all other fuses and relays one at a time from the drivers, passengers, and under hood fuse box (leaving in the fuse that actually powers the control temp head) to see if removing other power sources would eliminate the light and narrow down my options of where to start. I pulled everything in all 3 panels i could pull that would not kill the engine and no other fuse or relay effected the light.

Probably more info then needed but if anyone has had this issue and can give me some solid advice or share a detailed wire diagram for my car that would be much appreciated.

My other issue is my sunroof will vent but when i attempt to open it it moves backwards a 16th of an inch and just stops. Ive read this is typically a relay issue but can someone tell me specifically where they are or supply a picture.

Thank you all

Last edited by tl1r1027; 02-23-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 00 Accord Ex Recirc light stays on all the time

There are guys on here with access to specific manuals so hopefully they will chime in but it sounds like there's a relay that it stuck in the on position. I'm thinking you just need to find the suspect relay.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the bump,

I'd happily take a bad relay, or even a bad temp head but feel I'm going to be chasing a chaffed wire somewhere that the light stays on all the time even with the fuse out and car running.

Detailed wire diagram anyone? Recommendation on testing any pins of certain connectors for power/ground to help w troubleshooting? Anyone..... help a
Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a little more troubleshooting but really need the help of the proper wiring/connector diagrams.

Pulled the temp head and tested the connector for power with the car off. 3rd wire up from the bottom right of the connector (looking at it from sitting in the drivers seat as if it was plugged into the temp head) is a white wire with yellow stripe and 2 repeating silver dots about every 4 inches. The connector identifies this wire as #8. This is the wire that is providing power to the temp head with the car off. If I pull the #13 fuse (clock) it removes the power from this wire. The clock is powered by this identical wire in its connector which now makes me uncertain as if this is suppose to always be powering the temp head or not. Anyone have good shareable connector/wire diagrams?? This is the only wire in the temp head connector with power with the car off and if its suppose to be this way then I'm probably looking at a short internally in the temp head board if its not I still need to search for a short. Please help before I disassemble the temp head and pretend I know anything about identifying shorts in an electronics main board.