Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

*SEARCHED* 95 Accord stalls when clutch pedal is BARELY tapped

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *SEARCHED* 95 Accord stalls when clutch pedal is BARELY tapped

Okay, I have spent the last week searching on this issue I am having. It is a friend's car, 1995 Accord EX VTEC 5 speed. Initially when he brought it to me, it was dying when you let off the gas. Diagnosed a bad IACV so I replaced it with brand new, and cleaned the FITV and entire throttle body for good measure. The car didn't idle PERFECTLY, but the stalling issue went away. A week later he calls me and says its doing it again. I bring the car back, check for vacuum leaks everywhere I can think of and cannot find any. He tells me he just had a new head/timing belt done in the last 3k miles. I checked the compression and timing (timing light nuts on 16 degrees BTDC and teeth perfectly aligned top and bottom, cam gear arrow pointing up at TDC). I have since now bled out a metric **** ton of air from the cooling system, I do not believe there to be a single burp left. I cannot find a vacuum leak. I am at a complete loss. The second you put a finger on the clutch pedal, the car idle drops dramatically. I am literally talking a finger, with minimal pressure. If you depress it 2 inches the car will stall. You can hold the throttle to keep it running, but that shouldn't be the case. The car runs through all gears fine, the clutch grabs good. The clutch system is not electrically connected to the engine, nor is it attached to the vacuum system. This does not happen when the brake pedal is depressed, only the clutch.

Cliffnotes: new IACV, cleaned FITV and throttle body, good compression, good timing, burped all air from cooling system, cannot find a vacuum leak, car dies when clutch pedal is barely tapped

IDEAS???
Old 06-01-2017, 02:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: *SEARCHED* 95 Accord stalls when clutch pedal is BARELY tapped

This may wind up being a bad ecu. The clutch signal is an input for the iacv control but the iacv should really never fluctuate because the clutch was pressed down. I would probably crack open the ecu and look for burned capacitors.

You could try checking the base idle. Jumper the blue service connector and unplug the iacv. The idle should drop all the way down to 550-650. Keep in mind that the big white line after 0 is 500 not 200. The car should act like it's going to die but it's not. But if the idle drops below the white line then the base idle is too low. It just needs to be within 550-650.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *SEARCHED* 95 Accord stalls when clutch pedal is BARELY tapped

Well thats some info I didn't realize. I will say, I unplugged both sensor connectors on the clutch assembly and it still did it (those were the only 2 electrical connectors I saw related to it). I will dig in and check around what you've mentioned. Appreciate it!