Notices
Hawaii & Asia-Pacific Hawaiian / Pacific Islands

Where's all the 808er's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's all the 808er's?

Although I don't live in the islands anymore, I do visit pretty darn often. Got a couple of boys working at Pflueger and sad to see nobody's active in these threads. Used to roll with the Honda crew when I had my '92 GS-R and my '97 Prelude SH. Actually started with 'Midnight' before they went punk out with 'Midnight Racing'. Anyway, just stirring shiz up in the 808 section and wanted to see whats da haps!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Where's all the 808er's?

I might get stationed there next year. Any recomendation for a mainlander like me with a Honda? Such as shops, hangouts or meets?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been off the islands full-time for almost a year now. Looks like the car club scene is dying out there. Probably because of 5-0, ...not much serious crime there, so what else they gonna do?! Definately obey the laws there. 5-0 uses tons of stealth squad cars, so spotting 5-0 in your rear view isn't nearly as easy as here on the mainland. Oh, and if your Honda is modded, good luck with that. You have to get a 'Recon' to have 5-0 leave you alone. Oh, and I surely don't miss the annual safety check, ...talk about a pita!

A good shop I used to (and still only) use was 'Eurosports', but there are a few others that I can't think of at this moment. When you get there, just pick up the Penny Saver (they're everywhere) and it'll have ads of the better known shops.

You may get good insight (no Honda pun intended) at the Honda dealerships if you so happen to drop by for service or whatevers. Ask them for the where abouts. Just don't go to Waianae if they tell you to. Inside joke you'll learn about if and when you get there.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hawn Si
Been off the islands full-time for almost a year now. Looks like the car club scene is dying out there. Probably because of 5-0, ...not much serious crime there, so what else they gonna do?! Definately obey the laws there. 5-0 uses tons of stealth squad cars, so spotting 5-0 in your rear view isn't nearly as easy as here on the mainland. Oh, and if your Honda is modded, good luck with that. You have to get a 'Recon' to have 5-0 leave you alone. Oh, and I surely don't miss the annual safety check, ...talk about a pita!

A good shop I used to (and still only) use was 'Eurosports', but there are a few others that I can't think of at this moment. When you get there, just pick up the Penny Saver (they're everywhere) and it'll have ads of the better known shops.

You may get good insight (no Honda pun intended) at the Honda dealerships if you so happen to drop by for service or whatevers. Ask them for the where abouts. Just don't go to Waianae if they tell you to. Inside joke you'll learn about if and when you get there.
What's a "RECON,PITA and WAIANAE" in your terms?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

RECON - Sorta a subdivision of DMV. They have to clear and deem your vehicle safe enough to operate on public roads. Not an easy task if you don't have paperwork that proves you had things professionally installed by an ASE mechanic.

PITA - Pain In The ****

Waianae - Oahu's version of the hood. Believe me, just stay out.

Btw, you don't get a Safety Check sticker if you don't pass Recon. Just by your avatar, I see you're gonna have problems. Don't even think about driving through Waikiki.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 AM

^waianae, haha good description
Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5-0 cant give me a ticket if im registered in a different state right? i get stationed at k-bay in feb.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lonelygstar
I might get stationed there next year. Any recomendation for a mainlander like me with a Honda? Such as shops, hangouts or meets?
for tuner shops, you can check out the following:
Sonics
Titans
Munkywerks
there might be more but those are the ones i hear about the most.

Originally Posted by B18aCRiX
5-0 cant give me a ticket if im registered in a different state right? i get stationed at k-bay in feb.
you might be able to get away with a warning for the first stop. arent you required to change your registration/liscense after 30 days or so?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your in the military you can have your vehicle registered in any 50 states. i can even drive around with a expired drivers license if i wanted.

do you think i would get ****ed with?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18aCRiX
if your in the military you can have your vehicle registered in any 50 states. i can even drive around with a expired drivers license if i wanted.

do you think i would get ****ed with?
You will absolutely get ****ed with. DEFINATELY do not go cruising in Waikiki with that S2K the way it is. You will get raped for all kinds of $h!t.

You can be registered all you want, but you will also need to get that 'Safety Check' sticker. You aren't getting it without passing Recon and getting the 'Recon Sticker'. You aren't getting the 'Recon' because the width between your tires and the fenders have to be at least 1", ...I think, ...but definately not slammed like that. Btw, nice drop.

Being on the mainland (even in California) gives you so much more freedom for your whips compared to Honolulu.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks. well it looks like my s2 will be garaged for my whole tour there haha. besides meets and stuff
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately get a beater if you don't have a daily driver. Drive it around till you know the ins and outs of Hawaii and its roadways. It is very unique so to say. Talk to your military peers for pointers and even though they may seem unreal, believe them.

The (Asian/Polynesian) minority is the majority down there, respect that and you'll do okay. There is lots of respect to be earned down there, just think before you do, ...and do it twice as much as you normally would on the mainland.

Definately enjoy the year round summers! The water is warm whether day or night, summer or winter. Don't under estimate the hidden shore break currents, ...you'll find yourself on another island before you know it, ...that is if you don't become shark bait first, ...or drown. It can be raining like a hurricane one minute, and twenty minutes later you can have clear blue skies, ...and vice versa, so watch those clouds while in the S2K. Don't know if you're single, but be careful with the local girls. There's always a whole bunch of big brothers in their click that'll beat the $h!z if you try anything, ...good or bad. They don't like their clicks mingling with the new mainlanders types, ...and don't even think about that at the club/bars. The brothers are always in the background keeping an eye out. Some of them are cops, so be careful who you trip on.

Oh, and one last thing, ...since you're down there, try all the many different styles of food down there. There is no better place in the world than in Hawaii to sample the best foods from every corner of the world. The day you get stationed out of the islands, is the day you're stomach is gonna be pissed at you. Mines still is after over three years of residing on the mainland.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im actually filipino. so i think i can blend in with the locals besides my haircut. and im also married to a filipina so i wont be hitting on girls. thanks for the advice
Old 10-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, you will fit in super duper perfectly fine then. Yeah, my wife is Filipino too (and I'm half), ...and that's why I moved to the mainland. Before the wedding, she moved to Californa, ...and you know how that goes. Had to drop everything, ...black book included.

Dang, you and the wife may not wanna leave the islands when you get there.