Notices
Hawaii & Asia-Pacific Hawaiian / Pacific Islands

Local Grinds (Food)

Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eventhough their food quality's gone down a bit (I hate their new burgers), I still hit them up every time I'm near 'Nalo
Old 11-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm missing some Loco Moco & saimin
Old 11-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BEE1
I'm missing some Loco Moco & saimin
The last time I was on Oahu I was having a Loco Moco at LikeLike Drive-In.

I sometimes try to recreate it by making it at home, and turning the PC to 105FM on a sunny day.

I can almost feel it....
Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yea i dunno what i would do with myself if i wasnt in hawaii, i would drive vegas every week for da aloha grill in california hotel lol imma stay in hawaii for school, stick it out in the bad economy start my life out in it, but i think its worth it, no place like hawaii
Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by RoyBoy808
imma stay in Hawaii for school, stick it out in the bad economy start my life out in it, but i think its worth it, no place like Hawaii
Going OT. That's what I didn't do.

I see your profile that you are 17. I'm 40. I think I gave up on Hawaii too early. Yes, I did the struggles with two jobs rolling on the Bus 7 days a week. Oh, and I had my UHM degree too.

Sure, my life is 10X better today. Sure, I got two houses, 3 cars, etc, etc. But my heart feels empty without Hawaii. Sure, I do go back. But it's a lost that one can't really replace. Hawaii does feel a bit "foreign" to me.

There is NOT one person I met on the mainland from Hawaii that wish don't wish they could go back.

I have a family and kids now, so I got to do what's best for them. They have no connection to the aina, and I don't expect them to. I would not trade my current life situation, but it's something I got to deal with.

So I guess one just have to decide what's best for them. What one value more. Cause once one leaves Hawaii, they lost it. It's not the same no more.

The Bus system is really pretty good.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:23 AM

dammit this thread making me HUNGRY... i just woke up too and i seen this thread... nothing like food form hawaii tho
Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
Going OT. That's what I didn't do.

I see your profile that you are 17. I'm 40. I think I gave up on Hawaii too early. Yes, I did the struggles with two jobs rolling on the Bus 7 days a week. Oh, and I had my UHM degree too.

Sure, my life is 10X better today. Sure, I got two houses, 3 cars, etc, etc. But my heart feels empty without Hawaii. Sure, I do go back. But it's a lost that one can't really replace. Hawaii does feel a bit "foreign" to me.

There is NOT one person I met on the mainland from Hawaii that wish don't wish they could go back.

I have a family and kids now, so I got to do what's best for them. They have no connection to the aina, and I don't expect them to. I would not trade my current life situation, but it's something I got to deal with.

So I guess one just have to decide what's best for them. What one value more. Cause once one leaves Hawaii, they lost it. It's not the same no more.

The Bus system is really pretty good.
haha yea TheBus is great, but i rarely use it anymore i after i got my civic but yea at least you get to visit, but im trying to go to UH hilo on the big island cuz i dont want to drive to downtown honolulu everyday, thats nuts, and hilo has a chillax atmosphere and i like it better than the upbeat fast-paced city kine life so i guess its a quick break from all of that
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Old Member

Let's get back to food .

Old news:

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...s/story03.html

"Local boy-turned-celebrity chef Sam Choy is shutting down his namesake restaurant due to escalating business costs. His upscale flagship restaurant on Kapahulu Avenue, which has been in business for 13 years, will close tomorrow."

I'm sad to see the restaurant closed. I love Sam Choy. I met him several times when I worked for Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Honolulu. He was a big supporter. Our fund raiser events would feature food by Sam Choy. And tons of people would show up.

I love his cooking style. Roys is nice. Something you dress up and bring your high class date to. Sam Choy is about wearing whatever clean shirt you got, shorts and being hungry. I don't want to use the word "Regular." But it's like "regular food" that people eat. Not some fancy dish that make you think WTF is this. I don't mind spending $$$ there because I feel it's worth it. In taste and quality.
Sure he still have his restaurant at Nimitz, so there's still chance for me to go next time.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi!

Planing on visiting Hawaii in March.

Are all the restaurants there equally matched?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by Numba1 K Series
Planing on visiting Hawaii in March.

Are all the restaurants there equally matched?
Equally matched? Sam Choy's restaurants? Please explain?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nahhhh all the main stuff is junk, you gotta go to the old mom & pop owned kind of resturants if you want the experience
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by RoyBoy808
nahhhh all the main stuff is junk, you gotta go to the old mom & pop owned kind of resturants if you want the experience
X2.

Back in the days, even after being in Hawaii for 25 years, I still discover ono places to eat on King Street from McKinley HS all the way down Moililil/Kaimuki area. We may go by, or even walk by, but never stop to eat. Sometimes friends would take me to those hole-in-the-wall that's just simply amazing. Most (all) of them were (are) Japanese-Hawaiian style. I hope they are still around.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi!

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
Equally matched? Sam Choy's restaurants? Please explain?
I don't know any of the restaurant names but I'm asking if all the food joints are good.

Do they ALL taste good?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by Numba1 K Series
I don't know any of the restaurant names but I'm asking if all the food joints are good.

Do they ALL taste good?
Use the same precautions as you would in any city.

I love all ethnic food, so Hawaii is paradise for me. I will always go for the unsual thing. So they all "taste" good if that is your game. Once you have something good, your standard changes, and you keep on searching for something even better.

Poi for example, is something I don't really like because of the taste. But I would NEVER pass it if I'm at Ala Moana Center food court. To me, it's a must. I would choose to eat at Poi Bowl instead of McDonalds.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude that is going to visit raw fish and octopus is really not that bad, if you want to try raw things i suggest the shoyu (show-you) ahi (ah-hee) poke' (poh-keh) not so potent with the raw taste, yet it has that oh so good salty taste from the shoyu mmmmmm and yes poi is a MUST if you come here, and if you dont like the taste, then you can put sugar and milk in it the your gonna be like WOOOOW lol also laulau too and when you're visiting it's always good to have friends that live down here to show you around.....and maybe even make all of that for you
Old 11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Local Grinds (Food)

Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to live in kona and i would eat at mama's noodles all the time haha dont no if its still there or not
Old 06-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Old Member

Bump from 2007 - because we all love to eat.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some pictures dont work... but some look so good!