are you one of THOSE people that go to work sick....and infect everyone else? - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

are you one of THOSE people that go to work sick....and infect everyone else?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are you one of THOSE people that go to work sick....and infect everyone else?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Cole Trickle

Default Re: are you one of THOSE people that go to work sick....and infect everyone else?

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post
Absolutely, but if it wasn't for personal reasons, I probably wouldn't feel as strongly about it.

My son is perfectly healthy outside of a metabolic condition he has. Quick cliffs: It's called MCAD. Your body breaks down sugar first, some level of stored fat next, and your medium chain fats after that. When my son's medium chain fats start to get broken down, they turn into a toxin that could put him in a coma or possibly kill him. So, basically any stomach bug has a potential for being life threatening. So, any time he gets anything to where he's puking or not eating for extended periods of time, it's a 2-5 day trip to the hospital sitting around hooked up on special blend of IV fluids until it passes.

On that front, yeah, the sick people at work thing pisses me off, but I realize not everybody knows my situation and I'm not the only one that has a kid with potentially life threatening condition. What REALLY pisses me off is the parents that let their kids go to daycare/school with fevers and stomach bugs, when all of those places have a no fever for 24 hours policy.
Man I yell at my coworkers for sending their sick kids to school all the time. People are so damn inconsiderate.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Default Re: are you one of THOSE people that go to work sick....and infect everyone else?

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
Most jobs are bullshit, yes.

That doesn't mean oil rig standards are equivalent to jobs in the civilized world.
I'm staying here for this argument. Golden Jerry, GOLDEN!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Absolutely, but if it wasn't for personal reasons, I probably wouldn't feel as strongly about it.

My son is perfectly healthy outside of a metabolic condition he has. Quick cliffs: It's called MCAD. Your body breaks down sugar first, some level of stored fat next, and your medium chain fats after that. When my son's medium chain fats start to get broken down, they turn into a toxin that could put him in a coma or possibly kill him. So, basically any stomach bug has a potential for being life threatening. So, any time he gets anything to where he's puking or not eating for extended periods of time, it's a 2-5 day trip to the hospital sitting around hooked up on special blend of IV fluids until it passes.

On that front, yeah, the sick people at work thing pisses me off, but I realize not everybody knows my situation and I'm not the only one that has a kid with potentially life threatening condition. What REALLY pisses me off is the parents that let their kids go to daycare/school with fevers and stomach bugs, when all of those places have a no fever for 24 hours policy.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Touching My Member

I am definitely not. We're all in a relatively small office, so if someone comes in, it takes nearly a month before we cycle through everyone getting sick.

If and when people come in looking or sounding like ****, I'll send them straight home.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:36 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Man I yell at my coworkers for sending their sick kids to school all the time. People are so damn inconsiderate.

Yeah, man, it's double edged sword though. My son was sick last week and my daughter has been super sick this week. Luckily, I work a very flexible job that allows me to basically come and go as I please. My wife has the higher paying job in the field that is more demand. We were talking last night and wondering how 2 full-time working parents do it.

It's our work, work, work through anything or face the consequences culture that allows stuff like that happen, but it pisses me off none-the-less.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Cole Trickle

Yeah, man, it's double edged sword though. My son was sick last week and my daughter has been super sick this week. Luckily, I work a very flexible job that allows me to basically come and go as I please. My wife has the higher paying job in the field that is more demand. We were talking last night and wondering how 2 full-time working parents do it.

It's our work, work, work through anything or face the consequences culture that allows stuff like that happen, but it pisses me off none-the-less.
I think that's a cultural issue.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Some people get lucky enough and have their in-laws take care of the kids.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM
something gnarly

I don't know how people can do that. there's a couple who both work at my workplace and have 3 kids. but I'm usually here 1.5 hours before them and 1 hour later every day.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
Some people get lucky enough and have their in-laws take care of the kids.
Yup, my mom usually watches my daughter on the days I work. I'm not bringing her to my 65 year old mom and 73 year old dad, puking and running a fever either though.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, my mom usually watches my daughter on the days I work. I'm not bringing her to my 65 year old mom and 73 year old dad, puking and running a fever either though.
good.

anyone who does that would be inconsiderate motherfvckers.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM
Paragraph Alert

That doesn't mean oil rig standards are equivalent to jobs in the civilized world.
Yeah, the standards are much more strict out here. Drilling 30,000' wells in 6,000' of water is basically right under space exploration.

We can compare job engineering plans and then talk about which jobs are more "civilized" lol.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
Yeah, the standards are much more strict out here. Drilling 30,000' wells in 6,000' of water is basically right under space exploration.

We can compare job engineering plans and then talk about which jobs are more "civilized" lol.
Civilized doesn't mean advanced lol
Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

What a caveman!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Paragraph Alert

Kids should go to school sick and purposefully cough in all the other kid's mouths, let everyone get sick, and have a good doctor deny giving any of them antibiotics. Do that for a few cycles and all of the kids who survive will be better for it. You don't hate kids do you?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Kids should go to school sick and purposefully cough in all the other kid's mouths, let everyone get sick, and have a good doctor deny giving any of them antibiotics. Do that for a few cycles and all of the kids who survive will be better for it. You don't hate kids do you?
Not all immune systems are created equal.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Cole Trickle

You've read this thread & thought this was an okay thing to post?

Thanks for proving my point about you not understanding the civilized world you scumbag.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ITT: Oil goobs
Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes but there is obviously a line. I've had a sinus infection for 2 weeks finally getting over it. They wont even prescribe antibiotics for you if its less time than that so what am I supposed to do? Perfectly able to work, I just have to blow my nose often. I've been extra considerate around other people and my job doesn't really require lots of person to person contact. Also I wash my hands probably at least a dozen times a day from touching greasy *** machines.
People who come in with fevers or the flu or some ****, yeah dont.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

At my work we e suppose to get flu vac. You get a holgrasm sticker to put on your id badge.
If you opt nopt to you have to wear a mask.
I don't get the shot but I never wear a mask either.

Even at my work is already sick so what's it matter.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Paragraph Alert

You've read this thread & thought this was an okay thing to post?

Thanks for proving my point about you not understanding the civilized world you scumbag.
Thanks for proving my point that you're dumb as hell if you think I was dead serious about wanting kids to cough into other kid's mouths.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Cole Trickle

Thanks for proving my point that you're dumb as hell if you think I was dead serious about wanting kids to cough into other kid's mouths.
Fam, I've never seen you make a funny in any of your posts.

It's like Woody Allen making a film about a creepy old dude trying to sleep with a tween, fiction & reality are not far from one another.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If people don't have paid sick days or employer provided insurance, you can't expect them to stay home whenever they are sick. It's just not how the real world works.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The above affects the food service industry in a bad way. Those folks have to work regardless of how they feel and then they can get their coworkers sick and maybe even a patron sick.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so to answer the questions..... it depends on the circumstance.

I'll gladly take a sick day if I'm not feeling up to it. I'll go to the doctor on my sick day to make sure I don't have anything serious.

But.... When I was working in the restaurant biz as bartender/waiter, I would have to be forced to come in if I couldn't find coverage or risk losing shifts. It blew. I would pop airborne and vitamin C pills like skittles, and drink oJ all day.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
The above affects the food service industry in a bad way. Those folks have to work regardless of how they feel and then they can get their coworkers sick and maybe even a patron sick.
case in point ^^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.