Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF is going on with Iran?

 
Old 05-16-2019, 05:12 AM
  #151  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Flyover Country
Posts: 158
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
My friend.

What country are you living in?

This is Trump's America. ***** are cool, Congress is powerless, Democrats still think Republicans would be willing to do bipartisan work after Trump leaves, we're putting women in prison for a century and apparently going to war with Iran just to make Netanyahu & KSA happy, etc.

It is its own unique hellscape.
You're better than this. Congress hasn't been appropriately consulted on military activity since probably Truman. THAT particular ship sailed LONG before Trumpeepee.
scelestus is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 AM
  #152  
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS
 
The GreenD16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Stuck in traffic on the capital beltway.
Posts: 1,443
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
I'm sure we'll be delivering "aid" at some point.
"Humanitarian aid".
The GreenD16 is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:16 AM
  #153  
Cole Trickle
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 164
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by scelestus View Post
You're better than this. Congress hasn't been appropriately consulted on military activity since probably Truman. THAT particular ship sailed LONG before Trumpeepee.
Oh I know.

Though, Congress did 'approve' the failed & wrong war on Iraq through vote.
moopmoop is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 AM
  #154  
El Chico
 
Knightsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: The Deep Web
Posts: 100,686
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
"Humanitarian aid".

"I swear there was water and protein packs loaded on those Tomahawks."
Knightsport is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:36 AM
  #155  
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 4,732
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Definitely freedom in every boolet
Caoboy is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 AM
  #156  
Tickle-shits
Thread Starter
 
Tokyosmash!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 3,895
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
What do you want to call it?

oh I know "establishing a presence"
We refer to these things as “police actions”
Tokyosmash! is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:06 AM
  #157  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
Oh I know.

Though, Congress did 'approve' the failed & wrong war on Iraq through vote.
no they didn't.
all action after sept 14, 2001 has used the AUFM justification.
congress hasn't declared war since 1942.


I also am not sure this is a "war" in the traditional sense. we are clearly trying to bait iran into doing something so we can respond - and it seems that iran knows this.
I am not worried that we will be drug into something based on out mutual defense agreements.
ford9n is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 AM
  #158  
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 4,732
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

This is that 'show up with all your boys to that hater's house and sit out front so he confronts you' move.
Caoboy is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM
  #159  
Grandpa
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Siege Perilous
Posts: 94,741
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
no they didn't.
all action after sept 14, 2001 has used the AUFM justification.
congress hasn't declared war since 1942..


There was a specific AUFM for Iraq on October 16, 2002.

An attempt to limit the UK's participation was scuppered when Tony Blair as Prime Minister asked the Queen not to allow the reading of the bill that would have limited his government's war powers in Iraq.
George Knighton is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 AM
  #160  
Cole Trickle
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 164
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
no they didn't.
all action after sept 14, 2001 has used the AUFM justification.
congress hasn't declared war since 1942.


I also am not sure this is a "war" in the traditional sense. we are clearly trying to bait iran into doing something so we can respond - and it seems that iran knows this.
I am not worried that we will be drug into something based on out mutual defense agreements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Author...lution_of_2002
moopmoop is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:46 AM
  #161  
020
that's no moon
 
020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Death Star 3
Posts: 1,214
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

That confirms what Caoboy said.
020 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM
  #162  
Cole Trickle
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 164
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by 020 View Post
That confirms what Caoboy said.
What CB said?

OOOO, I see what you're saying.

I know they didn't formally declare war.

But they authorized a military invasion of a sovereign state.
moopmoop is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 PM
  #163  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post

There was a specific AUFM for Iraq on October 16, 2002.

An attempt to limit the UK's participation was scuppered when Tony Blair as Prime Minister asked the Queen not to allow the reading of the bill that would have limited his government's war powers in Iraq.
thanks for setting me straight. I knew there was no true war declared - there hasn't been (and likely wont be) one in my lifetime.
ford9n is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM
  #164  
020
that's no moon
 
020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Death Star 3
Posts: 1,214
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
What CB said?

OOOO, I see what you're saying.

I know they didn't formally declare war.

But they authorized a military invasion of a sovereign state.
I'm not sure why I mentioned CB. I was tired earlier, only reason I can think of. I turned on ***** Wonka (the original not the Depp one) and took a nap.
020 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM
  #165  
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,899
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
thanks for setting me straight. I knew there was no true war declared - there hasn't been (and likely wont be) one in my lifetime.
I still want to hear how Obama and Clinton were just as warmonger-y as the guys who actually invaded 3 Middle Eastern countries.
Ross is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:33 AM
  #166  
Grandpa
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Siege Perilous
Posts: 94,741
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I still want to hear how Obama and Clinton were just as warmonger-y as the guys who actually invaded 3 Middle Eastern countries.
One of President Clinton's greatest regrets is that he did not go into Rwanda. After the conflict, he realized that the United States should have intervened forcefully, and that thousands of lives would have been saved if he did go.

He also believed the United States made a mistake in not being more involved and forceful with the Bosnian conflict.
George Knighton is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 AM
  #167  
Grandpa
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Siege Perilous
Posts: 94,741
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

As Trump has got trapped by public and Congressional comments and questions, and even outrage in some quarters, he has had to admit that the intelligence about Iran came from Israel, and that is was probably exaggerated.

We were originally told that larger missiles were being shipped to Yemen, and now it looks like smaller missiles are being installed on boats of the Republican Guards.

Mind you, these boats are still a threat, but nothing like the wholesale escalation that we were led to believe.

The way that the White House released the information also made it sound like US bases in the Gulf and nearby areas were being targeted by Shia dissident militia.

That the White House did not share this information with UK, Canadian and Australian intelligence agencies is a breach of protocol and established procedures.

If they'd shared the details of the information, somebody would've said, "Hang on a minute...."

Mind you, Iran is still a problem. I think everybody knows that.

But in the end, really, is Iran a bigger problem than Saudi Arabia?
George Knighton is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 AM
  #168  
Cole Trickle
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 164
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
But in the end, really, is Iran a bigger problem than Saudi Arabia?
No.

And it will continue not to be if the US gov't stops antagonizing it needlessly.
moopmoop is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 AM
  #169  
020
that's no moon
 
020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Death Star 3
Posts: 1,214
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
One of President Clinton's greatest regrets is that he did not go into Rwanda. After the conflict, he realized that the United States should have intervened forcefully, and that thousands of lives would have been saved if he did go.

He also believed the United States made a mistake in not being more involved and forceful with the Bosnian conflict.
The problem with being a superhero is there is always someone who needs saving.
020 is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:06 AM
  #170  
Imgur Lives Matter
 
90hatch94dsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: on a bed of #8 stone
Posts: 330
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

unless you're an american being poisoned by the municipal water
90hatch94dsm is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:42 AM
  #171  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I still want to hear how Obama and Clinton were just as warmonger-y as the guys who actually invaded 3 Middle Eastern countries.
I never said that. please try to be less stupid when addressing me.
ford9n is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 AM
  #172  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
As Trump has got trapped by public and Congressional comments and questions, and even outrage in some quarters, he has had to admit that the intelligence about Iran came from Israel, and that is was probably exaggerated.

We were originally told that larger missiles were being shipped to Yemen, and now it looks like smaller missiles are being installed on boats of the Republican Guards.

Mind you, these boats are still a threat, but nothing like the wholesale escalation that we were led to believe.

The way that the White House released the information also made it sound like US bases in the Gulf and nearby areas were being targeted by Shia dissident militia.

That the White House did not share this information with UK, Canadian and Australian intelligence agencies is a breach of protocol and established procedures.

If they'd shared the details of the information, somebody would've said, "Hang on a minute...."

Mind you, Iran is still a problem. I think everybody knows that.

But in the end, really, is Iran a bigger problem than Saudi Arabia?
we both know KSA isn't a problem based on the petrodollar arrangement.

my fear is that both Israel and KSA want Iran taken out, and there is not shortage of "good" reasons.
when I see things like the sabotage of the commercial tankers (that was blamed on iran proxies), I wonder "why would iran do this - and why now?"
iran knows they are being baited, and have said as much. to think they would allow/encourage something like that, to me, doesn't pass the smell test.

that said, I see attacks on KSA (from yemen) as a real possibility that could spark escalation. the houthis are getting more and more sophisticated with the drone attacks (no doubt with irans help) as well with some missiles being fired into KSA. I hope that isn't what drags us into another (a continuing?) conflict in the ME

I saw a blurp about Trump terminated Turkeys preferential trade status.

seems like we are already in an economic war, not only with Iran, but with Turkey
ford9n is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 AM
  #173  
Grandpa
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Siege Perilous
Posts: 94,741
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
... I see attacks on KSA (from yemen) as a real possibility that could spark escalation. the houthis are getting more and more sophisticated with the drone attacks (no doubt with irans help) as well with some missiles being fired into KSA.
Just a heads up about the change in acceptance of evidence.

You went from doubting the attacks to talking about Houthi drone attacks.

Did you mean to do that, or are you talking about different attacks and kinds of attacks?
George Knighton is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:09 AM
  #174  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
Just a heads up about the change in acceptance of evidence.

You went from doubting the attacks to talking about Houthi drone attacks.

Did you mean to do that, or are you talking about different attacks and kinds of attacks?
I wasn't referencing the most recent ones - but lets be honest - most of the houthis gains in this arena are because of iran (even if not 100% provable). and oddly - a lot of the drone stuff is just a rehash of what ISIS (and their proxies) were doing in Syria.

I can acknowledge that the houthis are an Iranian proxy (of sorts) - imo, that is the new way to wage "war".
but lets be honest, "they" are the only ones using proxies. its that part of the conversation that people don't seem to acknowledge.
ford9n is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 AM
  #175  
Grandpa
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Siege Perilous
Posts: 94,741
Default Re: WTF is going on with Iran?

For whatever it is worth, Mr Trump is having some success reining in his hawks.

Maybe because of Trump's natural anti-war proclivities, or maybe because of Mr Pompeo's miserable failure with Putin.

Putin sides with the UK and Europe, saying that Iran was always obeying the conditions of the nuclear deal, and Trump should have left Iran alone.

I am not a betting man.

But if I were, I'd suggest that Jared might be kept a little farther away now that he's almost got Trump into some kind of armed conflict.

Something could still happen, but it's not hard to see Trump trying to apply the brakes.
George Knighton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.