Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pay more for item made in the USA?

Old 04-26-2019, 06:39 AM
footwork mastery

Default Would you pay more for item made in the USA?

Just like the title says, if the item is made in the USA and the company was known to pay its workers more than a minimum wage crap salary would you support a company like that? For example instead of the $4 old navy t-shirt made by people in Bangladesh would you pay $15 for a USA made t-shirt type argument?

i know the materials wonít be coming from the USA for most items I just wonder if people who complain about unfair pay etc would back a company who treats its employees right with the downside being cost to consumers is 3-4x more.

Iíve been purposely doing this now as well as shop local small business vs big businesses the amazon thread made me wonder if others do.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would you pay more for item made in the USA?

Yes. I would and do. I try to support my local businesses when ever possible.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:42 AM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
Just like the title says, if the item is made in the USA and the company was known to pay its workers more than a minimum wage crap salary would you support a company like that? For example instead of the $4 old navy t-shirt made by people in Bangladesh would you pay $15 for a USA made t-shirt type argument?

i know the materials won’t be coming from the USA for most items I just wonder if people who complain about unfair pay etc would back a company who treats its employees right with the downside being cost to consumers is 3-4x more.

I’ve been purposely doing this now as well as shop local small business vs big businesses the amazon thread made me wonder if others do.
Odd comparison. A shirt made in Vietnam May be cheaper because $2/hour is a good wage there. Your premise is entirely flawed.

In general yes but not for that reason. The real question is what percent of Trump voters do.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by 020 View Post
Odd comparison. A shirt made in Vietnam May be cheaper because $2/hour is a good wage there. Your premise is entirely flawed.

In general yes but not for that reason. The real question is what percent of Trump voters do.
Youre missing the point. I don’t give a **** what a good wage is in another country. I’m asking if you’d purposely buy local to support a well paying USA company. Read before giving your dumb answers trying to sound smart. Keep your Trump BS in that **** show politics thread

On second thought I bet a USA shirt from a good paying company would end up costing 10-12x as much. I’d still
buy a $40-50 t shirt. Other items it’d start to get pricey imagine appliances or furniture oof.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Balling on a budget over here. I'd buy the less expensive shirt for sure.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:48 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Bloody Beaver

Yep

Food items.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:49 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Except for cars, on major purchases I try to, but it's not always possible.
I like to party

Yes I pay extra for the Levis that are made in the USA with Cone Mills denim. The imported Levis are absolute ****. Sizes are all over the place, belt loops rip out, crotch tears. The USA made ones are 1000 times better. Unfortunately, there's not enough people like me and the OP to keep these places in business.

https://www.mensjournal.com/features...de-in-the-usa/

I also pay a lot for the hoodies I buy but those are made in Canada eh.
Honda-Tech Member

local restaurant, local brewery = yes
Reborn_

For most items, made in china is fine. Moving parts/something you want to buy once? I go for something USA or Japan/EU made
Old 04-26-2019, 06:51 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
Yes I pay extra for the Levis that are made in the USA with Cone Mills denim. The imported Levis are absolute ****. Sizes are all over the place, belt loops rip out, crotch tears. The USA made ones are 1000 times better. Unfortunately, there's not enough people like me and the OP to keep these places in business.

Does Levi’s actually pay its U.S. employees well or are these people making $8-10 an hour though?

This whole thread was about companies like Amazon that pay **** wages. If it’s made in the USA sand they still pay $8/ hour doesn’t really fit the threads purpose of would you pay more for that item knowing the company pays its employees well.

So it’s two parts. Item must be made here and employers pay well. (There aren’t many so this is mostly hypothetical)
Old 04-26-2019, 06:51 AM
that's no moon

Youre missing the point. I donít give a **** what a good wage is in another country. Iím asking if youíd purposely buy local to support a well paying USA company. Read before giving your dumb answers trying to sound smart. Keep your Trump BS in that **** show politics thread

On second thought I bet a USA shirt from a good paying company would end up costing 10-12x as much. Iíd still
buy a $40-50 t shirt. Other items itíd start to get pricey imagine appliances or furniture oof.
I did read. I get that you are triggered but it genuinely doesnít make sense. You donít have to care what another country pays except that you asked an economic question relating to global economies. You donít have to like it and you donít have to understand it for it to be true.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 AM
I like to party

Does Leviís actually pay its U.S. employees well or are these people making $8-10 an hour though?
Cone Mills has made the jeans for Levi's since the early 1900s, but over the last few decades they have started to import more and use Cone Mills less.

I actually think the USA made jeans today are denim sourced from the NC Cone Mills plant, but stitched in Texas somewhere, IDK by who or for how much.

I got two brand new Levis that I can't wear because the sizes are off. Yes, I measured. So I had to get two more, that were closest. And even then, it was off compare the the Levis I got in 2005, which is the jeans I'm replacing. BTW, all suppose to be the exact same size, 32. There was a time I didn't have try on clothes because they fit the way they suppose to. Now, it's all over the map. And that include shirts too.
Cole Trickle

Yet you buy from Amazon rather than a local business? LOL

Back on-topic:

I buy a lot of pre-owned stuff, for ethical/environmental reasons, plus its cheaper.

For car parts I stick to made in Japan stuff.

For furniture I stick to made in USA stuff (other than the few things I got from Ikea to furnish my place when I was even younger & broker)

I buy clothes SUPER infrequently, for that I just go with whatever fits my rather difficult frame (long torso, super thin, etc.) and haven't found anything US based that suits that. Levi's feel fat spec on me, so I don't mess with them.

TBH other than books, car stuff and food I just don't consume much.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:56 AM
footwork mastery

I did read. I get that you are triggered but it genuinely doesn’t make sense. You don’t have to care what another country pays except that you asked an economic question relating to global economies. You don’t have to like it and you don’t have to understand it for it to be true.
Not triggered at all just done dealing with stupid people. I get on here for intelligent conversation, you make comments about racist Mexico generalization comments but then generalize Trump voters so badly and don’t even realize it. No time for ya, plus you think you’re smart which is the worst combo.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I certainly try to in some cases. My standard has morphed more into evaluation of overall business practices instead of focusing on the job location. US assembly with internationally sourced parts/material is much more common; I have trouble being impressed at national job creation if you're still treating people like crap somewhere else. That may be part of the bigger idea 020 was arguing?

Groceries and clothing are the two areas I fail most, largely due to availability and schedule. Wish farmer's market was open on an extra weeknight.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 AM
that's no moon

Not triggered at all just done dealing with stupid people. I get on here for intelligent conversation, you make comments about racist Mexico generalization comments but then generalize Trump voters so badly youíre one of the biggest idiots on here. No time for ya
What? Youíre definitely triggered.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:00 AM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by scelestus View Post
I certainly try to in some cases. My standard has morphed more into evaluation of overall business practices instead of focusing on the job location. US assembly with internationally sourced parts/material is much more common; I have trouble being impressed at national job creation if you're still treating people like crap somewhere else. That may be part of the bigger idea 020 was arguing?

Groceries and clothing are the two areas I fail most, largely due to availability and schedule. Wish farmer's market was open on an extra weeknight.
No, the argument OP is trying to make is ďdo you support fair labor practicesĒ. The problem is the false axiom that somehow itís only fair if we pay a US worker more for a product we can get elsewhere cheaper, even if that worker in another nation is making a fair wage. The whole argument relies on false premises.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:01 AM
I love doggies

Yes i would. And yes third world Levis's are utter ****.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:03 AM
footwork mastery

What? Youíre definitely triggered.
Avoids comment about you generalizing as bad as racist comments and tryís using troll catch word. Yawwwwwn.

Your game is weak AF, your so bias I might as well be talking to bluuu
Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 AM
I like to party

The rare double burn, nice Grimace
Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 AM
that's no moon

Avoids comment about you generalizing as bad as racist comments and tryís using troll catch word. Yawwwwwn.

Your game is weak AF, your so bias I might as well be talking to bluuu
I genuinely have no idea what you are saying about racism.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.