Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you make the one-way trip to Mars?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
0x5359-0055

Default Would you make the one-way trip to Mars?

Well, would you?

My wife and I's good friend is one of the final 1000 applicants to the Mars One crowdfunded campaign.

The Mars One mission:"Mars One will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars. Crews of four will depart every two years, starting in 2024. Our first unmanned mission will be launched in 2018."

There were originally some 2XX,XXX applicants from around the globe, but she made it through the initial cut. I'll include more information as it's asked of me, but for now here's the local new channel's coverage of her attempts to be one of the first people to set foot on Mars.

An Austin woman’s Mission to Mars
--- More video available at ^THIS^ link

Originally Posted by Article Text
AUSTIN (KXAN) — Sonia Van Meter is an unapologetic space junkie. She grew up on Star Trek and loves the space exhibit at the LBJ Library in Austin, but now she’s ready to move beyond space junkie and into the realm of space traveler.

“This is an extraordinary opportunity to become part of a legacy stretching from Magellan and Christopher Columbus all the way to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that?” asked Van Meter.

She has made it to the second round of applicants being considered for the first manned mission to Mars.

“Space exploration and colonization is the next frontier for humanity. It’s in our nature to explore and to question and to look at our landscape and wonder what lies beyond the next hill, and that spirit is at the heart of MARS One.”

“I know that this is a long shot. It’s a 35 million-mile long shot and this is page one of a 10 year story.” - Sonia Van Meter

MARS One is a privately-funded journey for four people to colonize the Red Planet. Last year, Van Meter submitted a video application along with 200,000 other people around the world. She was selected to move to the next round with a group of 1,057 others. Van Meter has no traditional space or science background. She studied sociology and works at a political consulting firm, but she says this is her life’s ambition.

“My husband took me to the Air and Space Museum, and I touched a command module that had come back from space and all of the sudden it just lit up inside me that I was touching something that had been in outer space, that had orbited the moon, that had been further away from our planet than anything else that I can think of and it had come back,” she said. “Something turned on then.”

Those selected for the journey will never return to Earth. Van Meter is a wife, a step-mother, a daughter and a friend.

KXAN: ”But you wouldn’t be coming back.”
Van Meter: ”I would not be coming back. That’s the catch. This is a one-way shot, and I’m OK with that … I think for me the biggest challenge is going to be figuring out how to say goodbye to my family. In the next 10 years I’m going to learn how to build a home from scratch on a dry, atmosphere-less, waterless rock, and those are all things that can be learned. The technology can be broken down and understood and explained. How I’m going to walk away from this extraordinary planet is going to be the big challenge.”

Van Meter’s husband of four years, Jason Stanford, supports her and not, he says, because he wants her to be 35 million miles away.

“It’s perhaps not my first choice for her, but it’s her first choice for her and our marriage vows didn’t really come with an asterisk,” he said. “If she wants it, then I’m for it 100 percent.”

Van Meter and Stanford know this is a long shot. Only four people will be selected for the mission, which hopes to have humans on Mars by 2025. Those selected will spend the next decade training for the mission and organizers have already said that process will likely be part of a reality television program. The next step in the process is a medical evaluation for each of the finalists.

“I don’t know how it’s going to end,” said Van Meter. ”If we can look up from Earth and know that human beings are living on another planet, will we ever again be able to tell ourselves that there’s anything we can’t do? If we can achieve that, then what else is possible?”

Lockheed-Martin has been contracted to build the landing rover, but critics of this kind of mission say it will cost billions of dollars, and while it has been tried by other companies, it ultimately failed when funding ran out.

Tonight on KXAN News at 10, this Austin wife and step-mother explains why she is ready to leave everything behind, including her family and friends and even her planet, for this one-way ticket to Mars.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Do it right the first second time!

Default Re: Would you make the one-way trip to Mars?

If I could pick 3 girls from the Female Body Appreciation thread to take with me and do with whatever I please, yes.

Edit: Who am I kidding? I'd go with a box of **** and a pocket *****. It's not like my life is going to be any ******* cooler than being remembered as the first guy to settle on Mars.

Double Edit: I wouldn't be upset if I showed up for space training and found out she was going with me.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 PM
0x5359-0055

Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shes pretty ******* selfish if you ask me. No ******* way my wife would do that. And that's because I wouldn't let her.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by 1995Ex_Sedan View Post
Shes pretty ******* selfish if you ask me. No ******* way my wife would do that. And that's because I wouldn't let her.
She has no kids (of her own) and her husband is extremely supportive of it all (likely because he doubts it will ever happen)

They are a strange couple though, he's the go-to guy for several of the local news channels when they need a Democratic voice during political debates, and she kept her last name when they married. Among other things, they're just.... strange. Definitely not your average married couple.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM

She has no kids (of her own) and her husband is extremely supportive of it all (likely because he knows it will be a poonanny free for all when she leaves)
Hot Girl 1: "OMGZ, UR THAT ONE GUY WHO'S WIFE LIKE LEFT FOR MARS OR SOMETHING!"
Hot Girl 2: "OMGZ, UR TOTALLY HIM!"
Guy: "That's me. (start to tear up). It's just been so hard now that she is gone."

INSTANT *****.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

She has no kids (of her own) and her husband is extremely supportive of it all (likely because he doubts it will ever happen)
You're probably right.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

night night

keep your Mars hole tight!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the hell???
Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I would go if I had the chance. Why not.

Stay in america where everything is a crime.

Or go to mars and **** **** up.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 PM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
INSTANT *****.
Lol! I think you kind of hit the nail on the head.

If you watch one of the videos on the news site, they interview him and he says something along the lines of "Yeah, well, I'd be Mr. Sonia Van Meter for the rest of my life"
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Will they be able to send care packages to Mars? How long would it take to get there?

Edit: Google says 150-300 days. That would SUCK if you ran out of toilet paper and had to wait 235 days for more.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:58 PM
0x5359-0055

That would SUCK if you ran out of toilet paper and had to wait 235 days for more.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Will they be able to send care packages to Mars? How long would it take to get there?

Edit: Google says 150-300 days. That would SUCK if you ran out of toilet paper and had to wait 235 days for more.
I could see netflix being a serious issue as well.

DID HE DIE? DID HE? Find out next year on "generic popular tv show"

Honestly, I wouldn't do it as much as it sounds fun and my desire to explore is there, so much here we haven't figured out (i'd do sealab or something in a second).

I'm also the kind who looks at his grass very well before I call someone else's greener.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no
Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Road House

Cliffs: Austin

**** no I wouldn't go. So you get there and then what? Eat ****** space food and **** out pudding for the rest of your life? All while cramped up in some tiny capsule with nothing to do?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not want to go to jail.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I collect venereal diseases

I'd go if Ice Cube went with me. Pretty sure he's been there once before and did quite well.

On a serious note, as a Marine I probably should go to Mars. There's top secret science testing facilities on Mars that are working on extra dimensional travel. It's basically up to me to make sure no demons breach through the testing sites on Mars and attempt to make their way to Earth.

Just remember GDD, ZTwentyH8 will kill millions of demons just so you can post on this forum.

Also, I'll be selling a CRX soon, and for an extra $20 I'll give you a signed picture of me on the hood of a Miata. PM me for details and name changes.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Originally Posted by ZMiataH8 View Post
I'd go if Ice Cube went with me. Pretty sure he's been there once before and did quite well.

On a serious note, as a Marine I probably should go to Mars. There's top secret science testing facilities on Mars that are working on extra dimensional travel. It's basically up to me to make sure no demons breach through the testing sites on Mars and attempt to make their way to Earth.

Just remember GDD, ZTwentyH8 will kill millions of demons just so you can post on this forum.

Also, I'll be selling a CRX soon, and for an extra $20 I'll give you a signed picture of me on the hood of a Miata. PM me for details and name changes.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Dragon Slayer For Hire

Hell no, all my favourite things are right here on Earth.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

is this a ******* troll post? you cant survive on mars.... ******* idiots...
Old 02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Superfly

I asked this question like 6 months ago.

I think either Xtract or Kiwi said they'd be down to go.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011 View Post
is this a ******* troll post? you cant survive on mars.... ******* idiots...
how do you know? you been brah?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Originally Posted by Samuraij View Post
I asked this question like 6 months ago.

I think either Xtract or Kiwi said they'd be down to go.
Only because xtrac realized his DA would weigh 900 lbs. on Mars… lightnessisallthethings.gif

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you make the one-way trip to Mars?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.