Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

World’s fastest supercomputer will be built by AMD and Cray

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

World’s fastest supercomputer will be built by AMD and Cray

Old 05-07-2019, 11:10 AM
rookn00b

Default World’s fastest supercomputer will be built by AMD and Cray

The world’s fastest supercomputer will be built in the US by 2021, the US Department of Energy announced today.

The machine, dubbed Frontier, will be built by chip designer AMD and supercomputer manufacturer Cray for the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. It’s expected to produce more than 1.5 exaflops of processing power, and will be used for a range of tasks, performing advanced calculations in areas like nuclear and climate research.

“Frontier’s record-breaking performance will ensure our country’s ability to lead the world in science that improves the lives and economic prosperity of all Americans and the entire world,” said Secretary of Energy Rick Perry in a press statement. “Frontier will accelerate innovation in AI by giving American researchers world-class data and computing resources to ensure the next great inventions are made in the United States.”

When constructed, Frontier should be the most advanced example of what’s known as “exascale computing.” This is the next-generation of computing capacity, in which processing power is measured in exaflops, or quintillions of calculations per second. A quintillion is a one with a whopping eighteen zeros behind it: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

To give an idea of the scale of this sort of machine, AMD says Frontier will have as much processing power as the next 160 fastest supercomputers combined. It’ll be able to handle an astonishing amount of data, with a bandwidth 24,000,000 times greater than the average home internet connection, capable of processing 100,000 HD movies in a second. It’ll also have a correspondingly huge footprint, taking up 7,300 square feet of space (roughly equivalent to two basketball courts) and containing 90 miles of cabling.

Frontier isn’t the only exascale computer the US is currently building either. Earlier this year, the Department of Energy announced a similar project: the supercomputer Aurora, which is being constructed by Intel and Cray at Argonne National Laboratory. Aurora will likely be the firstexascale supercomputer in the US, but Frontier will have greater processing power.

These machines don’t necessarily mean the US is the world’s greater computing power, though. China is expected to have its own exascale supercomputer up and running by 2020 — a year ahead of America. China is also the world’s leader in terms of supercomputer volume, and is currently home to 227 of the world’s fastest computers (compared to just 109 operated by the US). Japan and the European Union are the other main contenders.

The news is a particularly big deal for AMD, says Patrick Moorhead, semiconductor analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy. The contract is worth $600 million and Frontier will use scores of AMD’s EPYC CPUs, each connected to four of the company’s Radeon Instinct GPUs.

The world of supercomputer chips is mostly in the hands of Intel, and AMD hasn’t supplied the processors for the world’s fastest supercomputer since 2012, when AMD Opteron CPUs were used to push ORNL’s Titan computer to a benchmark of 17.59 petaflops per second.

Moorhead told The Verge that the Department of Energy likely chose AMD for a number of reasons, including the performance of its processors, and its recent successes designing semi-custom silicon for Microsoft and Sony. “This bodes well for AMD’s future as this is technology that should be in the mainstream market after 2021,” said Moorhead.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...nal-laboratory
Old 05-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Dragon Slayer For Hire

Default Re: World’s fastest supercomputer will be built by AMD and Cray

INB4

Old 05-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

AMD is killing it lately.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

But can it run Crysis on Ultra?
Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Seems dumb. Just use AWS.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:00 PM
I said I don't want a title!

CPU's are somewhat secondary today because of the use of GPU's in supercomputing. Really, it doesn't matter who the CPU is because most of the heavy lifting will be done by the GPU.

Also, "supercomputer" = a whole bunch of smaller machines in a cluster/massively parallel processor array. They aren't like the Cray's of the 80's and 90's.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:39 PM
0x5359-0055

Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...wrong image...
Old 05-07-2019, 05:17 PM

I recall my computer class in college. I got a young instructor who just got his Masters. We were learning to count bytes. The highest was Kilobytes. He said the next increment would be call Gigabyte but "there's no such thing."

What I thought he meant was, there is no such thing as in he made it up "giga...? wtf"
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 PM
aka DaZman69!

Considering it’s faster than 160 of the next fastest supercomputers combined. I’m guessing they decided there will be a significant platue in processor developement. Otherwise they would wait a year.

surprised they didn’t go max budget quantum computer. I guess it’s not ready
Old 05-07-2019, 08:32 PM
The Science Guy

Props to AMD and TSMC.

Intel can get on the "I can't fabricate smaller than 14nm" failboat with ArabFoundries... I mean GlobalFoundries.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 PM
The Science Guy

Flops (floating point operations per second) isn't a good measure of "computational power."

It is just clock speed * number of cores. A single google TPU has 45 petaflops with only 8 bit precision while a typical core i7 is several gigaflops but has 64 bit precision. Depending on the type of computing problem, each processor will perform vastly different, there is no overall winner here.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 PM
I missed the boat

Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM
El Chico

Until the first Quantum Computer is developed anyway.

And let's hope we get there first.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM
816d16 owes me money!

And it'll be outdated by the following Monday
Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
And it'll be outdated by the following Monday
It might actually be since the quantum computer might just tell us how to build a better one
#singularity

Last edited by sflkgjsfndgn; 05-08-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.