Working out at the gym - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working out at the gym

Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Team Purple

Default Working out at the gym

Alright so I am getting my gym membership in a few days after my deload so I will be able to do even more workouts now. This is good because I won't be limited anymore. DB stuff, machine stuff, cable stuff, etc. (I will still keep my free weights in the garage and use them when I am too lazy to go to the gym or if I am just testing for a 1RM, etc)

So my question is this:

Can you help me create a routine? (Since I havent' used much DB work or cable/machine stuff) I want to do something like this:

Tue: Chest/Tris
Thur: Back/Bis
Sun: Legs/Shoulders

Does this sound like a good 3 day routine guideline? I've been using this for the last 7 months or so and it has been working pretty good for me. I am used to it so that is why I am inclined to keep using this basic layout.

What is a good rule of thumb for DB benching? Is it usually a little less than 1/2 of what you do with a BB? (Ie, you rep 100lb with the BB you can DB press 45lb?) What about lat pull down stuff, I was thinking of incorporating something like this but I don't want my shoulders to get toasted since it is my weak link, are these safe for your shoulders? (I just remember doing these when I had really weak shoulders years and years ago and it was extremely uncomfortable to do even moderately heavy weights.

I'm pretty sure there should be power racks there (It is a really nice gym) so I won't need to ask for spotters, right? I won't be going for any 1RM any time soon, just working sets.

Oh yeah, and any other comments about gym ettiquete or advice in general, please post

*Disclaimer, I am not a super noob when it comes to lifting but I am still fairly new to it all. I've been lifting in my garage for the last 7 months and it has gotten too damn hot so that is why I am getting a gym membership

Last edited by Honda-Tech Balla; 06-09-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: Working out at the gym

Originally Posted by Honda-Tech Balla View Post
Sun: Legs/Shoulders
I usually find that if I'm able to work another group with legs, I'm not working them hard enough...
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

me personally it's not about how much weight i throw on there. it's more about targeting the muscle i'm working on & conditioning the muscle. always challenging it in different ways to achieve a better physique.. sure i can probably rep out 280 on pull downs swinging my body and using my overall strength but at the end of the day did my back benefit from it?

if you have shoulder problems warm up the body with a couple sets of light weight.. and take it from there stacking on weight 10-15lbs at a time.. idk just my rambling thoughts.

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
I usually find that if I'm able to work another group with legs, I'm not working them hard enough...
i feel this way about every muscle group now.. i isolate each muscle for everyday of the week and been getting way better progress.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Team Purple

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
I only want to do 3 days a week right now. I have a lot going and don't have much free time.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Team Purple

Originally Posted by crxma22 View Post

i feel this way about every muscle group now.. i isolate each muscle for everyday of the week and been getting way better progress.
I probably will be doing this when weight lifting becomes more of a priority or after I decide to switch up after I have more free time but for now 3 days is about all I can do. Or, I should say all that I should do considering my time constraints.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are your goals? Are you trying to bulk up or not?

Most of the routines I see have little to none cardio but probably because all they want is to bulk up.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Team Purple

My goal for now is to gain strength and maintain my muscle while cutting body fat.

Here is a little something I came up with:

Tue:
Chest/Tri

Flat DB bench 3x6
Incline DB bench 3x6
Seated DB triceps press 2x8
Tricep Dumbbell Kickback 2x8
Dip 1xF

Thur:
Back/Bi

Deadlift 3x6
Bent over row 3x6
Lateral pull down 2x8
DB standing curl 2x8
DB hammer curl 2x8
Pull-up 1xF

Sun:
Legs/Shoulder

Back squat 3x6
Leg Extensions 2x8
Standing Calf Raises 2x8
Shoulder press 3x6
Lateral raise 2x10

How does something like this look?

*edit* I wanted to try machines since I won't have a spot anyway (My friends all flaked lol) And I haven't been able to use DB's either so this way I can give both a shot. Mil Press will be machine now But rows will still be with a BB. Calf Raises will be with a machine, same with lateral raises. Let me know what you think, thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Read through the HCT-12 links:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...er-Training-12

It's a relatively new program, but the logic behind it seems pretty sound, and they're not trying to sell you anything. There is a recommended supplements link, but they're pretty good supps and not junk anyway.

I think this could answer your protocol quandaries.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I only want to do 3 days a week right now. I have a lot going and don't have much free time.
Day 1: Chest, shoulders, tri's, abs.
REST (cardio)
Day 2: Back, Biceps, Abs.
REST(cardio)
Day 3: Legs
REST(cardio)
REST

This has all you need. This resembles the 7 day week but you don't specifically start your workout on the same day every week, just work thru the cycle.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
HNIC

Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
Day 1: Chest, shoulders, tri's, abs.
REST (cardio)
Day 2: Back, Biceps, Abs.
REST(cardio)
Day 3: Legs
REST(cardio)
REST

This has all you need. This resembles the 7 day week but you don't specifically start your workout on the same day every week, just work thru the cycle.
I wouldn't hit chest/shoulders on the same day. I'd do legs/shoulders together.

By the way, two days of "abs" are not going to help you get a six-pack any sooner. You already have abs, you just have to find them. On day two I would do some core or skill work which would potentially help some of your other lifts.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Sounds good. I do chest, back, legs and then i take 2 days off to hit shoulders,arms,cardio, BJJ by the weekend.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're goals are too maintain muscle while cutting fat, then MOST of the gains will be through diet:

-1 gram of protein per pound you weigh. 180 lbs. could be 150 grams, doesn't matter.
-Reduce your normal diet by 500 calories
-Include at least 1-2 hard paced cardio workouts in your weekly regimen.

I guarantee that will work.

Don't waste your time with abs, only girls do those (I've noticed anyways). Power cleans and squats work your core.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Team Purple

Originally Posted by Da-Risin-Smoke View Post
If you're goals are too maintain muscle while cutting fat, then MOST of the gains will be through diet:

-1 gram of protein per pound you weigh. 180 lbs. could be 150 grams, doesn't matter.

Don't waste your time with abs, only girls do those (I've noticed anyways). Power cleans and squats work your core.
Oh yeah, I've been dieiting for a solid year and a half, I have that down, but thank you!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure you work your core with compound lifts but it doesn't hurt to do iso ab workouts once a week or so. Hell, it can even help your compound lifts. Plus, it doesnt take long. 15-20 mins max.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

There is nothing wrong with doing standing ab pulldowns (get up to using the whole stack, and you'll see they're not for girls) or decline situps holding 1-2 45lb plates behind your head. Aim for 8-12 reps. They're great for TRUNK strength, which can bost performance on your CORE lifts (i.e. squat, bench, deadlift).

Some of my favorite ab movements include:

Standing pulldowns
Decline Situps
Barbell Rollouts
Hanging Leg Raises

Perform them with weight and it'll boost your stability and strength; not necessarily your "ripped 6 back" though.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Oh yeah, I've been dieiting for a solid year and a half, I have that down, but thank you!
Was it me and theSqad calling you a fat pasty untrained weakling that got you motivated?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Team Purple

Originally Posted by R.a.w. View Post
Was it me and theSqad calling you a fat pasty untrained weakling that got you motivated?
Haha this guy lol nah but that's funny you mention that
Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Haha this guy lol nah but that's funny you mention that
Did you see that post about HCT-12? Or do you wanna try your split out?

PS how are you performing your tricep press?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Team Purple

Originally Posted by DeusXmachina View Post

DB and behind the head and I haven't checked HCT out yet but I will as soon as I get home
Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G View Post
Sure you work your core with compound lifts but it doesn't hurt to do iso ab workouts once a week or so. Hell, it can even help your compound lifts. Plus, it doesnt take long. 15-20 mins max.
There is nothing wrong with doing standing ab pulldowns (get up to using the whole stack, and you'll see they're not for girls) or decline situps holding 1-2 45lb plates behind your head. Aim for 8-12 reps. They're great for TRUNK strength, which can bost performance on your CORE lifts (i.e. squat, bench, deadlift).

Some of my favorite ab movements include:

Standing pulldowns
Decline Situps
Barbell Rollouts
Hanging Leg Raises

Perform them with weight and it'll boost your stability and strength; not necessarily your "ripped 6 back" though.
You're all right, I was ignorant. What i meant was doing calisthetics such as knee raises and crunches without weight is pointless.

If the weight is there, then it would be good as any other exercise.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Team Purple

Originally Posted by vtecvoodoo View Post
I wouldn't hit chest/shoulders on the same day. I'd do legs/shoulders together.

By the way, two days of "abs" are not going to help you get a six-pack any sooner. You already have abs, you just have to find them. On day two I would do some core or skill work which would potentially help some of your other lifts.
Agreed 100%
Old 06-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Team Purple

Alright so I read HCT12 and I think I might give it a shot starting tomorrow

My legs are still THRASHED from my last squat session after my deload though...Shiet, I should not have run 4 miles on Sunday and 3 today after I did back squats on Saturday fuuuuu

I am paying the price for it now

The only thing I noticed with HTC12's exercise set ups are that they want me to do squats and deads on the same day? What do you feel about this Adam?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Alright so I read HCT12 and I think I might give it a shot starting tomorrow

My legs are still THRASHED from my last squat session after my deload though...Shiet, I should not have run 4 miles on Sunday and 3 today after I did back squats on Saturday fuuuuu

I am paying the price for it now

The only thing I noticed with HTC12's exercise set ups are that they want me to do squats and deads on the same day? What do you feel about this Adam?
I think you'll be fine. With the way the rep scheme is designed, and the fact that you're not going to failure, you should be good to go. The reps are just high enough to where you shouldn't be affected by CNS fatigue. I'm thinking about giving this a run during my next raw strength phase.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Team Purple

Day "A"
Flat DB bench
30x6
40x6
*find my 6 rep.range after these warm ups

Incline DB bench
25x6
*find my 6RM

BOR
125x6
145x6
*find range

OHP
65x6
90x6
105x

Tricep DB press
15x6
*find range

Pull-Up
2x6

How does something like this for Day A look Adam?

*edit* I talked with my therapist for my shoulder today and he said that I should hold off on DB bench press or heavy OHP for at least a week. I need to instead do resistance training with this latex tubing and **** lol and THEN talk to him then about doing those lifts in a week or so....

He did say I could use the machine for bench press though lulz, I will feel stronger now since I can do more weight with a machine haahahaha

Last edited by Honda-Tech Balla; 06-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont ever work two different body parts that use the same muscles on the same day or back to back. I would do chest and bi's and back and tri's. Your not going to be able to work the muscle to the full potential if combine the same muscles on the same day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Working out at the gym

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.