Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Who has a living will or durable power of attorney?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a living will or durable power of attorney?

Old 03-22-2005, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a living will or durable power of attorney?

I'm surprised that i haven't seen a big discussion on the Terri Shiavo case here on H-T. Maybe I just didn't search well enough. Anyway I was wondering how many of you have a Living Will or Durable Power of Attorney? They are slightly different, and here in Tennessee you need both. It is kind of complicated to explain why, but basically a feeding tube is not considered "extraordinary medical treatment".

A Durable Power of Attorney is actually much more flexible. It appoints someone to make the decision based on your written instructions. A living will just gives cut and dried directions without giving anyone any flexibility to make a decision based on the specific facts of your situation. Since there are many different types of treatment with different levels of risk involved it is better to give someone the ability to make a choice based on your written wishes other than just saying "pull the plug without trying anything".

Both of these forms are very easy to fill out. Many hospitals provide the blank forms for people to use. I assume that the forms are also available on the Internet. I recommend that EVERYONE get one. Young people don't think much about these things, but ANY of us could be brain dead tomorrow due to an accident or illness.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Widow's Son

I have one. I also have a clause in there that says to let me die. Why would I want to live life being nothing except a burden to society and my family? I would have no purpose in life.

"Hey it's uncle Johnny!" *nephew throws a grape at me*
...pfffft...*** that bs
Old 03-22-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (JohnnyIS300)

Did you pay someone to prepare it for you or did you just use a fill-in-the-blank form?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Widow's Son

Default Re: (fredtoast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fredtoast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you pay someone to prepare it for you or did you just use a fill-in-the-blank form?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Military
We get stuff like that for free. All I had to do was go into the Legal Office on base. Trust me, it was a weird experience to write a living will. Makes you think about things...
Old 03-22-2005, 06:59 AM
11:11

I have both
Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Who has a living will or durable power of attorney? (fredtoast)

Most American adults - estimates are as high as 75 percent - do not have written directives for their families to follow.

http://www.agingwithdignity.org/5wishes.html

http://www.uslivingwillregistry.com/forms.shtm
Old 03-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smithenhiven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fredtoast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm surprised that i haven't seen a big discussion on the Terri Shiavo case here on H-T. Maybe I just didn't search well enough. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a 5 or 6 pages thread on here, shouldn't be too far down.

My wife and I don't have one as of yet, but are planning on doing so within the month.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JohnnyIS300)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnyIS300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Military
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had one while I was in the NAVY, and still have it. I had my wife visit an attorney and they had one notarized and set up properly for about $50.

Worth it.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a 5 or 6 pages thread on here, shouldn't be too far down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I saw it. When I searched I wasn't spelling "Schiavo" correctly and the word "die" did not appear on the title.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.